• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Examining the 49ers trade offer during the 2017 draft

So what do you think, did we make the right choice or should we have taken the trade?

• We made the right choice

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • We should have traded back with the 49ers

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • We should have picked another player

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Niners offered their second, third and fourth round picks to move up 18 spots for Reuben Foster. Ozzie declined and the Niners declined our counter offer. We selected CB Marlon Humphrey at #16.

Pros for Humphrey
- First round physical specimen at a marquee position
- Physical, has safety traits if he flames out at corner
- Durability, will provide stability on the depth chart

Pros for trade
- Humphrey loses track of the ball and gets beaten deep, a major issue
- This draft was geared around depth not top end talent, mid rounds are where we find a lot of success
- Available 2nd round, OL Forrest Lamp, OL Cam Robinson. I think Lamp is a future All-Pro at any interior spot.
- Available 3rd round, OLB Jordan Willis, HB Alvin Kamara, OL Dan Feeney, C Pat Eiflin. Out of these players we only met with Willis. Bowser, Williams and Willis would have been insane.
- Available 4th round, FS Tedrick Thompson, OG Dorian Johnson, WR Dede Westbrook, WR Josh Reynolds, WR Mack Hollins. In order of my personal preference, we didn't meet with any of these players.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
The Niners offered their second, third and fourth round picks to move up 18 spots for Reuben Foster. Ozzie declined and the Niners declined our counter offer. We selected CB Marlon Humphrey at #16.

Pros for Humphrey

Pros for trade
- This draft was geared around depth not top end talent, mid rounds are where we find a lot of success
- Available 2nd round, OL Forrest Lamp, OL Cam Robinson. I think Lamp is a future All-Pro at any interior spot.
- Available 3rd round, OLB Jordan Willis, HB Alvin Kamara, OL Dan Feeney, C Pat Eiflin. Out of these players we only met with Willis. Bowser, Williams and Willis would have been insane.
- Available 4th round, FS Tedrick Thompson, OG Dorian Johnson, WR Dede Westbrook, WR Josh Reynolds, WR Mack Hollins. In order of my personal preference, we didn't meet with any of these players.

Shoulda taken that deal. Shoulda taken Spence last year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I voted to trade back but immediately changed my mind.

Oj Howard would've been such a stellar addition to this team and joe would've had the biggest shit eatin grin on his face with that pick, and they would've set the league on fire.

But I'm ok with watching our defense set the league on fire for the next 5 years
[doublepost=1495675574,1495675458][/doublepost]But then again... trade back, take lamp at 2, bowser at 2.2, take elflein at 3, then have the same mid 3rd.

Our OL is set for the next 4 years with that draft and it's suddenly one of the best units in the league.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm really pissed off about the bengals taking Willis. His production, size and athletic ability just screams all pro. Was picked one spot before us too.
Bowser better be starting or else...

they took Willis and Lawson
We took Bowser and T.Williams

i think they won

The Raven

Veteran

Pros for Humphrey

Pros for trade

In hindsight, I'm trading back. I love the linemen we got, but getting Lamp or Robinson, and we'd be set. Hell, give me Lamp and Eiflin.

Lucky for the bucs, you get 5 years out of a first round pick.

Rookie year doesn't determine success

It apparently does when you're a tight end. How many rookie tight ends do anything? Few if any.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In hindsight, I'm trading back. I love the linemen we got, but getting Lamp or Robinson, and we'd be set. Hell, give me Lamp and Eiflin.

It apparently does when you're a tight end. How many rookie tight ends do anything? Few if any.
yeah hindsight is a useful tool lol, nobody probably thought those guys would be available at those points.

And I don't think you're getting me, I'm saying a not so great rookie year doesn't make a player a bust if he plays the next 4 years at an elite level

The Raven

Veteran
yeah hindsight is a useful tool lol, nobody probably thought those guys would be available at those points.

And I don't think you're getting me, I'm saying a not so great rookie year doesn't make a player a bust if he plays the next 4 years at an elite level
Gotcha. Understood now.

I'm still warming on the Humphrey pick, I know a lot of us wanted Lattimore but my guess is we didn't go and get him because of his durability issues. Provided we can get this pass rush unit firing on all cylinders Humphrey is going to make some noise for the next 10 years.

As much as I like Lamp + two more pieces it would have come at the cost of more uncertainty in the secondary.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Shoulda taken that deal. Lamp Robinson was available as well as many cornerbacks that could very well outplay Humph. Don't get me wrong I like Eluemunor and Siragusa a lot. However Lamp and Cam are definitely ready to play from the jump. Could of got a teally good cornerback and Lamp/Robinson. Harbaugh talked of an elite offensive line. Adding one of Lamp/Robinson with Eluemunor and Siragusa to Stanley Yanda Lewis would of given the ravens a top3 offensive line if not the best.

Lamp would be the best center in the league. Maybe even pro bowl caliber RT. Eluemunor is eventually a top 5 LG. Lewis would compete with one of Lamp/Robinson for RT. Siragusa Lamp Jensen are all candidates for center. And a very interesting competition of above average players. On side note If 2015 Jensen shows up he is the center and one of the best in league.

The Raven

Veteran
Shoulda taken that deal. Lamp Robinson was available as well as many cornerbacks that could very well outplay Humph. Don't get me wrong I like Eluemunor and Siragusa a lot. However Lamp and Cam are definitely ready to play from the jump. Could of got a teally good cornerback and Lamp/Robinson. Harbaugh talked of an elite offensive line. Adding one of Lamp/Robinson with Eluemunor and Siragusa to Stanley Yanda Lewis would of given the ravens a top3 offensive line if not the best.

Lamp would be the best center in the league. Maybe even pro bowl caliber RT. Eluemunor is eventually a top 5 LG. Lewis would compete with one of Lamp/Robinson for RT. Siragusa Lamp Jensen are all candidates for center. And a very interesting competition of above average players. On side note If 2015 Jensen shows up he is the center and one of the best in league.

You really think highly of Eluemunor. What do you see? Is it just the physical beastliness?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Which corner would you have taken?

The first 5 corners taken in round two were Ahkello Witherspoon, Fabian Moreau, Cordrea Tankersley, Cameron Sutton and Damontae Kazee

IMO they're either injury prone or soft, Kazee is neither but he's lacking in size/speed

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
The first 5 corners taken in round two were Ahkello Witherspoon, Fabian Moreau, Cordrea Tankersley, Cameron Sutton and Damontae Kazee

IMO they're either injury prone or soft, Kazee is neither but he's lacking in size/speed

That was 3rd round Blood with Kazee going in the 5th to Atl. 2nd was K. King, S. Jones, Q. Wilson, T. Tabor and C. Awuzie. I would have been willing to sit on Jones until he was ready.

Last edited:
That was 3rd round Blood with Kazee going in the 5th to Atl. 2nd was K. King, S. Jones, Q. Wilson, T. Tabor and C. Awuzie

Yeah I thought he went 3rd for some reason. Anyway the combination of Lamp/Cam and a corner means you either pass on Bowser to take a corner or take a corner in the 3rd

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
Yeah I thought he went 3rd for some reason. Anyway the combination of Lamp/Cam and a corner means you either pass on Bowser to take a corner or take a corner in the 3rd

You're right. As much as I would have loved to have gotten Lamp, everything else would have changed most likely.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Already, from hearing Jimmy smith and John Harbaugh it seems they have subtly mentioned that marlon is very raw and lacking in technique.