• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Examining the 49ers trade offer during the 2017 draft

So what do you think, did we make the right choice or should we have taken the trade?

• We made the right choice

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • We should have traded back with the 49ers

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • We should have picked another player

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Raven

Veteran
Already, from hearing Jimmy smith and John Harbaugh it seems they have subtly mentioned that marlon is very raw and lacking in technique.

Where are you hearing this? I just read Harbs's press conference transcript today and he said nothing of the sort. None of the reporters have reported anything to this effect either.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Where are you hearing this? I just read Harbs's press conference transcript today and he said nothing of the sort. None of the reporters have reported anything to this effect either.

Jimmy says in interview with garrett downing after garrett says '' a guy they compare marlon to plays for the ravens and his name is jimmy smith'' jimmy smiles and says '' He has talent, he's a little raw and needs to work on technique but his athletic ability is amzing etc''

Harbs in interview '' So if i want to get involved in certain aspects of training where i feel i can help i do so, so for instance if marlon humphrey needs a bit of work on his techniuqe i'll give it to him etc''

The Raven

Veteran
Jimmy says in interview with garrett downing after garrett says '' a guy they compare marlon to plays for the ravens and his name is jimmy smith'' jimmy smiles and says '' He has talent, he's a little raw and needs to work on technique but his athletic ability is amzing etc''

Harbs in interview '' So if i want to get involved in certain aspects of training where i feel i can help i do so, so for instance if marlon humphrey needs a bit of work on his techniuqe i'll give it to him etc''
You're reaching.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
how did lawson last so long

Because of lengthy injury history...

I have to say though, I was surprise how little he was mentioned among pass rushers with potential. Considering he was highly sought after recruit going into college but injuries held him back.
[doublepost=1495788736,1495786512][/doublepost]When I first read about that proposed trade I immediately looked at the entire draft to figure out who was available at what picks.

But it's difficult to make a case given all the picks would fall differently..

Foster would go 16 instead of 31.. Seattle keeps the 31 pick after having traded with Falcons.

Where does Humphrey go, would any of the other teams that drafted CBs Titans, Raiders, Bills opt for Humphrey causing a different corner to fall possibly to the second round, if that's case then all corners shift down a few spots.

To me the entire draft changes at that point: *Humphrey slides causing CBs to slide a few picks

Could go:
34) Lamp/ Robinson / Z.Jones
47) Q.Wilson / T.Bowser

66) Elflein / J.Willis / C.Kupp

Last edited:

redrum52

Hall of Famer
It was a bad trade. Certain positions are hard to come by and extremely hard to come by when they are physical specimens. Some of these pos are WR, CB and OL/DE. When you have a chance to grab one who is also physically gifted you make the move. You can argue about the extra picks, but aren't most of you complaining when Ozzie does trade down? You see a player you want and is worth it, pull the trigger.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
It was a bad trade. Certain positions are hard to come by and extremely hard to come by when they are physical specimens. Some of these pos are WR, CB and OL/DE. When you have a chance to grab one who is also physically gifted you make the move. You can argue about the extra picks, but aren't most of you complaining when Ozzie does trade down? You see a player you want and is worth it, pull the trigger.

While I agree. Is Humph this game changing shutdown stud that shoulda went in the top10 picks??

redrum52

Hall of Famer
While I agree. Is Humph this game changing shutdown stud that shoulda went in the top10 picks??

Even if he isn't starting immediately, I think he becomes a future starter outside. Shutdown is thrown around too much these days. There are very few. For one, I think he is an immediate upgrade over Wright, he's only 20, and he's not going to be forced into a big role (barring injuries). Perfect for the type of defense we run, tackling wise, and should blow up those screens some our guys seem to struggle against ie Pitt and NE. Jimmy is getting up there as well. Secondary has needed to be addressed for a while and the future looks promising with guys like Hump, Young and Jefferson being the next young core.

Even if he isn't starting immediately, I think he becomes a future starter outside. Shutdown is thrown around too much these days. There are very few. For one, I think he is an immediate upgrade over Wright, he's only 20, and he's not going to be forced into a big role (barring injuries). Perfect for the type of defense we run, tackling wise, and should blow up those screens some our guys seem to struggle against ie Pitt and NE. Jimmy is getting up there as well. Secondary has needed to be addressed for a while and the future looks promising with guys like Hump, Young and Jefferson being the next young core.

There were a lot of size speed corners in this draft but Humph is the only one who is physical AND durable so he's unlikely to miss many games, thats the tradeoff for his bad deepball issues.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

You're reaching.

We all knew this, though...

stop twisting the meaning of Jimmys words. Agree with the Raven that you are reaching.