• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome David Culley, WR coach and Passing Game coordinator

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I'm happy with the Culley hire. Josh Allen was supposed to be one of the more raw QB prospects in recent years and he grew a lot by the end of the season. Has lots of experience coaching many different WRs, unlike Engram who was a young hire.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
tbh I wanted a young bright mind, so I'm a bit disappointed. But i don't know him, what's his track record? oh wait he coached WR under Reid?

he's a career offensive assistant coach as a WR coach but has also got experience as a QB coach

id imagine part of the reason we were able to get him was giving him that passing game title (and responsibility)

importantly he's another qb coach in the building to help lamar's development

but he's worked as a wr coach for the eagles for 13 years most of that (if not all) with andy reid and then the chiefs for another 3 also with andy reid

the only reason he left that chiefs building was to advance his career by moving to qb coach in buffalo and i think the move back to wrs here only happens because he comes in as passing coordinator which is a step up that ladder

Reactions: cdp

Charm City

Pro Bowler
he's a career offensive assistant coach as a WR coach but has also got experience as a QB coach

id imagine part of the reason we were able to get him was giving him that passing game title (and responsibility)

importantly he's another qb coach in the building to help lamar's development

but he's worked as a wr coach for the eagles for 13 years most of that (if not all) with andy reid and then the chiefs for another 3 also with andy reid

the only reason he left that chiefs building was to advance his career by moving to qb coach in buffalo and i think the move back to wrs here only happens because he comes in as passing coordinator which is a step up that ladder
He said he moved here because of the "assistant head coach" title. He sees the job as a promotion. I don't remember the source

Wtf is an assistant head coach?
Or is that assistant to the head coach?

I don't know, but it seems like we've been throwing that one around a bit. Isn't that what Roman was? It seems like a way to elevate a position coach to be something more. It seems like "passing game coordinator" is in effect saying that. You have responsibility for a position group, but have more input in what goes into the playbook and planning/preparation for opponents.

tbh I wanted a young bright mind, so I'm a bit disappointed. But i don't know him, what's his track record? oh wait he coached WR under Reid?
Young bright offensive mind is the buzz terminology for the new breed of HC. If you hire one as an assistant and the prove themselves, they are poof gone in a flash.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Young bright offensive mind is the buzz terminology for the new breed of HC. If you hire one as an assistant and the prove themselves, they are poof gone in a flash.
Good point but I'm coming from the other side of the argument.
I wanted Harbaugh to hire a younger coach because they're familiar with the most recent schemes. Coaching means also being able to constantly adapt, not every coach is actually capable of doing this like Belichick or Reid.
And when I initially posted this I just got a text saying "... Barbs hired another of his old buddies"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wanted Harbaugh to hire a younger coach because they're familiar with the most recent schemes. Coaching means also being able to constantly adapt, not every coach is actually capable of doing this like Belichick or Reid.
And when I initially posted this I just got a text saying "... Barbs hired another of his old buddies"

right but he was on reid's staff until last year - Reid's staffs have always been at the cutting edge of game-planning - like that's a significant part of what the assistant coaches do for reid - they get sent off to find plays from college and other teams and sometimes even high school to find those plays and concepts that they can use to create a mismatch somehow and someway

i too would have preferred a younger offensive mind just because it would be a clear sign of fresh ideas coming into the building and a pretty obvious example of a positional coach who might be someone who could rise internally within the organisation as opposed to constantly hiring from outside the building on the offensive side of the ball

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Being someone that has been with Reid since the Philly Days outside of the last couple years says a lot about him.