• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So far, Eric has done nothing so overtly surprising to me as of yet. I already anticipated and expected that both Crabtree and Weddle would be out. Collins? I knew he was gone already due to the congestion at the RB position but then his recent incident cemented his fate. I'm watching and waiting to see what happens with C.J. before crowning Eric as some kind of GM-Guru. Way too early for that!
no one has crowned him, we all have been watching. Some think he should be fired before given a chance. An exaggeration, but you get my drift.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
no one has crowned him, we all have been watching. Some think he should be fired before given a chance. An exaggeration, but you get my drift.
That’s not an exaggeration. It’s an outright lie. I’ve made my point. I’m skeptical. I don’t trust him yet. I don’t like the body of work he’s produced with the team since 2012. It’d also be more than unfair to not give him a chance entirely.

I think the moves he’s made have been typical and obvious. We have yet to determine if he’s even serviceable, let alone good. We need to wait until at least next offseason to even reach a semi-verdict.

The way we’ve built the team since 2012 has sucked. Frankly, our priorities are ass backwards in more ways than one. Hell even though the Boyle contract isn’t bad from a money standpoint it says a lot to me that we use a decent portion of Weddle’s savings to go get another blocking TE rather than save the money and getting another safety. The Williams contract. The waste of money with Hurst. The settling for mediocrity on the oline for the past 4 years. The non stop shitshow at the C position. Not giving Joe adaquate weapons via the draft and ruining him because of it. Not focusing on the pass rush. Stop gap wide receivers. Not drafting modern defensive linemen and mostly run stuffers. Trading away tangible assets and settling for mediocrity like Chris Wormley. Need I go on?

I’m skeptical. He’s getting his chance but that body of work scares me. Especially with a young QB. If in four years nothing has changed philosophically, he needs to go.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Yes he should be. We have four years to develop Lamar and if we don’t give him a good defense and supporting cast he needs to go. That’s not debatable. That’s a short leash and he needs to be on it

We could try something new... Maybe trying to put an offense around him first, then the defense. I don't think ILB is as important as it was before either. I'd put edge rusher ahead of that need as well as a S.... then OL before. Put wr in there somewhere, too.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I mean if the team sucks in 4 years then I would expect any team (maybe not the Steelers or Bengals but they are weird) to want to rebuild the organization from the top down. 4 years is not even a short leash, its an eternity by NFL standards. It would take multiple awful drafts in a row to lower the quality of the team from what is honestly a pretty high point right now and multiple bad decisions on the level of not signing Mosley (damn it get that deal done).

Giving Eric 4 years is a LOT of rope and more than most GMs would get in a similar situation.

Four years is a lifetime for a GM or coach now. We see entire staffs shipped off after 1 or 2 years now. I feel a good owner should allow a guy 4 years to try and mold a team the way he wants... Unless you're Chip Kelly.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

I said that "I'm not crowning him" not that anyone else was doing so. None of the moves he's made so far has been surprising or jaw-dropping. Nothing spectacular but typical and rather predictable (i.e. releasing Crabtree and Weddle etc.).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I said that "I'm not crowning him" not that anyone else was doing so. None of the moves he's made so far has been surprising or jaw-dropping. Nothing spectacular but typical and rather predictable (i.e. releasing Crabtree and Weddle etc.).
I wasn't referring to you

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wasn't referring to you

I didn't think you were but since I was the one that used that term "crown" in my original post and then you emphasized it in yours when quoting me, I wanted to make it clear. But, for some (as you mentioned) to call for Eric to be fired before getting started in his new role is laughable.

Fact is we just don’t know where his fingerprints really are on the current franchise. Any move made in the end -good or bad- had to be owned by Ozzie. We’ve no idea where DeCosta gave stronger influence - whether on the good or bad moves. Bisciotti would know but we don’t.

He will not be treated like a typical new hire - whether you believe he should or not. That’s simply because the owner has a relationship with him and this owner has proven he’s pretty willing to give those types his trust - more than most owners. He’s shown that with Harbaugh. But it’s his business so as he showed with The rumblings that there was some legitimate heat on Harbaugh that he does have a limit.

I’m not stuffing the straw in DeCostas effigy just yet. Let’s see how things play out. CJ is not the end all be all either. It’s what he does with the money he saves if we can’t secure him and what we’ve saved by other releases.

It’s Act I. Let’s see where this story goes.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fact is we just don’t know where his fingerprints really are on the current franchise. Any move made in the end -good or bad- had to be owned by Ozzie. We’ve no idea where DeCosta gave stronger influence - whether on the good or bad moves. Bisciotti would know but we don’t.

He will not be treated like a typical new hire - whether you believe he should or not. That’s simply because the owner has a relationship with him and this owner has proven he’s pretty willing to give those types his trust - more than most owners. He’s shown that with Harbaugh. But it’s his business so as he showed with The rumblings that there was some legitimate heat on Harbaugh that he does have a limit.

I’m not stuffing the straw in DeCostas effigy just yet. Let’s see how things play out. CJ is not the end all be all either. It’s what he does with the money he saves if we can’t secure him and what we’ve saved by other releases.

It’s Act I. Let’s see where this story goes.

I agree completely!

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well now that Mosley is gone I will definitely hold judgement on Eric’s first year.

I applaud him for not giving Mosley $17M/yr. The loss hurts, but that is a ridiculous amount of money for a one-dimensional LB (his coverage has always been questionable). Deuces.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I applaud him for not giving Mosley $17M/yr. The loss hurts, but that is a ridiculous amount of money for a one-dimensional LB (his coverage has always been questionable). Deuces.
I'm a Mosley fan and wanted him to return. That being said I'm glad EDC didn't budge, because that would have hurt us in the long run with the ability to sign and keep together other players. This is now officially a rebuild.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm a Mosley fan and wanted him to return. That being said I'm glad EDC didn't budge, because that would have hurt us in the long run with the ability to sign and keep together other players. This is now officially a rebuild.

He's sticking to his guns so far, which I like. We can't just be handing out massive contracts like candy; the players need to be worth it in order to give them that payday.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He's sticking to his guns so far, which I like. We can't just be handing out massive contracts like candy; the players need to be worth it in order to give them that payday.
he has talked about being fiscally responsible on numerous occasions.