• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Of course, if we end up signing Bell later today then one would have to question that statement lol
although I'm not in favor of signing Bell, I may be ok with it on a short term contract (2 yrs max). That wouldn't be an issue long term like an 85m dollar deal. I'd much rather pick up a veteran C/G and a safety. Will be interesting to see where we go with these positions. Unfortunately this isn't the best draft class for inside linebackers. I only like Devin White.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
although I'm not in favor of signing Bell, I may be ok with it on a short term contract (2 yrs max). That wouldn't be an issue long term like an 85m dollar deal. I'd much rather pick up a veteran C/G and a safety. Will be interesting to see where we go with these positions. Unfortunately this isn't the best draft class for inside linebackers. I only like Devin White.

Yeah, a 2 year deal could work. The thing with Bell, even if we have bigger needs elsewhere, is that if you do spend money on him then at least you know that you're getting, arguably, the best player at his position in the league. Should be interesting to see where he ends up.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really? I think Mack Wilson is pretty good maybe even up there with what Mosley can do. Now I don’t know if he has the same football IQ but I think he has at least the same or better athleticism. He’s also a smart player with instincts. Then you have Bush as well. I like White a lot and was one of the earliest people saying we should trade up to get him but he often played reckless in coverage at times and I could see that really burn him in the pros.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Really? I think Mack Wilson is pretty good maybe even up there with what Mosley can do. Now I don’t know if he has the same football IQ but I think he has at least the same or better athleticism. He’s also a smart player with instincts. Then you have Bush as well. I like White a lot and was one of the earliest people saying we should trade up to get him but he often played reckless in coverage at times and I could see that really burn him in the pros.
I haven't watched enough of Mack Wilson, but agree he has more athleticism than CJ. Devin Bush to me seems like a fit for a Will linebacker but from the tape I've watched is often overrunning plays or guessing wrong. I'll watch more tape on Bush. His defensive coach says hes the smartest and hardest working player he has ever coached, so there is that.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah, a 2 year deal could work. The thing with Bell, even if we have bigger needs elsewhere, is that if you do spend money on him then at least you know that you're getting, arguably, the best player at his position in the league. Should be interesting to see where he ends up.
Do you really know though? He's been out a full year, probably the first year without competitive football since he was a kid.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you really know though? He's been out a full year, probably the first year without competitive football since he was a kid.

That's a valid point, but as long as he's still in good physical shape then the year off should have helped his body recover from some of the physical abuse that he was taking while being the main offensive focus on the Steelers. He might need some extra pre-season reps, but skill doesn't just vanish overnight and he's still in his prime.

Tank

Hall of Famer
That's a valid point, but as long as he's still in good physical shape then the year off should have helped his body recover from some of the physical abuse that he was taking while being the main offensive focus on the Steelers. He might need some extra pre-season reps, but skill doesn't just vanish overnight and he's still in his prime.
Great for the body, not sure about his mental attitude though. He seems a little flaky anyway.

I think I’m gonna send my condolences to Wink. He’s gotta be like WTF! Lol. His reward for guiding his defense to #1 in 2018.

Oh well I will keep reminding myself that FA has not officially begun yet. Not sure if that’s good or bad. Lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good Article on how Eric DeCosta is trying to fix the dead money issues by having much better designed contracts. We have seen proof of these with the design of Earl Thomas, Mark Ingram and the resigning of Tavon Young.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...-dead-money-problem-nfl-free-agency-contracts

Brian McFarland was talking about this on twitter and made a good point - we’ve actually been trying to solve this problem since before we signed Brandon Williams and in fact that contract was structured similarly to these ones - the problems have come from a combination of a couple of things

Rolled over dead money from guys not on the roster (rice/pitta etc.) —>
Leading to being short on cap space which leads to contracts being restructured (like the Brandon Williams deal) and turns good deals into problematic ones

This article is honestly overly simplistic and doesn’t really understand how dead money works - he brings up Bisciotti not wanting to pay guys who aren’t on the roster but misunderstands that we aren’t paying joe money not to be here - that dead money is a cap charge based on money we paid him earlier in his contract

And the articles main point in terms of our cap improving uses the mark Ingram deal as an example and says that it’s better because he doesn’t cost much to cut if he doesn’t work out - which has very little to do with the dead money and everything to do with how cheap his contract is to begin with

Normally I like these kinds of articles but this one rubbed me the wrong way because it said basically nothing and still got it wrong

Flatter cap hits are 100% what we want but the big problem has not been signing bad contracts but restructuring those contracts (for the most part - the first Joe Flacco contract was terribly structured)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brian McFarland was talking about this on twitter and made a good point - we’ve actually been trying to solve this problem since before we signed Brandon Williams and in fact that contract was structured similarly to these ones - the problems have come from a combination of a couple of things

Rolled over dead money from guys not on the roster (rice/pitta etc.) —>
Leading to being short on cap space which leads to contracts being restructured (like the Brandon Williams deal) and turns good deals into problematic ones

This article is honestly overly simplistic and doesn’t really understand how dead money works - he brings up Bisciotti not wanting to pay guys who aren’t on the roster but misunderstands that we aren’t paying joe money not to be here - that dead money is a cap charge based on money we paid him earlier in his contract

And the articles main point in terms of our cap improving uses the mark Ingram deal as an example and says that it’s better because he doesn’t cost much to cut if he doesn’t work out - which has very little to do with the dead money and everything to do with how cheap his contract is to begin with

Normally I like these kinds of articles but this one rubbed me the wrong way because it said basically nothing and still got it wrong

Flatter cap hits are 100% what we want but the big problem has not been signing bad contracts but restructuring those contracts (for the most part - the first Joe Flacco contract was terribly structured)
and the reason I posted the article was to show the example of the contracts we are structuring and why we are doing it. You're absolutely right he got it wrong in many ways. I've always liked the flatter contracts due to the player costing less based on a cap percentage of the entire cap down the line. I don't mind the first year being a little less due to the amount of cap space the team has, like the Earl Thomas deal.

can you send the link regarding mcfarland saying we have been trying to solve this since prior to the BWill deal?