• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Richard Sherman

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I need the help of you salary cap guys who know and understand how the business works and what can/can't be done.

I read an article about Richard Sherman today that was eye opening. (at least to me, I never followed the story closely) It's no secret that the Seahawks are shopping Sherman and apparently all the issues started after the superbowl loss and the treatment of Wilson. The defense turned on Wilson bc of how Pete treated him, especially after the call was made to throw the ball instead of run. Sherman took it the hardest and felt that the Seahawks should have won multiple championships. Here is the story

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

What would it take for any team to make a trade for him?

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol.....I thought we were going after Sherman. May want to move this thread.

I have been out of it for a couple of weeks, we are going after him? That's news to me

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it's just confusing that you posted under Ravens Talk.

It doesn't really matter where it's posted, it's not like anyone has to actually join the thread but you are right.

Mods, can we move my thread?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Since you asked, his cap number for both 2017 and 2018 is just over $13M. That's not so bad, he is still very good corner but trade probably can't happen unless the team is willing to part with high round draft pick, too.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
I need the help of you salary cap guys who know and understand how the business works and what can/can't be done.

I read an article about Richard Sherman today that was eye opening. (at least to me, I never followed the story closely) It's no secret that the Seahawks are shopping Sherman and apparently all the issues started after the superbowl loss and the treatment of Wilson. The defense turned on Wilson bc of how Pete treated him, especially after the call was made to throw the ball instead of run. Sherman took it the hardest and felt that the Seahawks should have won multiple championships. Here is the story

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

What would it take for any team to make a trade for him?

I read that article as well. It was a great piece very eye-opening as to how the many Seahawks defensive members felt slighted by all the credit Russell Wilson gets as the QB.

When that play at 1 yard line happen, my brother and I instantly said they wanted to Wilson to throw the TD and get the MVP, instead of M.Lynch ( whom had all that media attention for not wanting to speak or Get Fined).

And I'm sure behind closed doors a lot of defensive lead teams feel similar at times.

Tampa Bay had clear division back in the day, when neither Dilfer nor S.King could score a TD or get a first down to help the defense.

Towards the end of Billick Era, there was clearly some division between the defense carrying us and the inept offense.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I read that article as well. It was a great piece very eye-opening as to how the many Seahawks defensive members felt slighted by all the credit Russell Wilson gets as the QB.

When that play at 1 yard line happen, my brother and I instantly said they wanted to Wilson to throw the TD and get the MVP, instead of M.Lynch ( whom had all that media attention for not wanting to speak or Get Fined).

And I'm sure behind closed doors a lot of defensive lead teams feel similar at times.

Tampa Bay had clear division back in the day, when neither Dilfer nor S.King could score a TD or get a first down to help the defense.

Towards the end of Billick Era, there was clearly some division between the defense carrying us and the inept offense.

one thing is to have an offense that's bad, it's another thing to praise them simply bc you like the QB.

That play in the SB was the beginning of the end. The media spoke way to highly of Wilson, when the entire time it was the Defense and Lynch running the ball that carried the team. Wilson has yet to show up in those big games and produce, need I remind folks of the 4ints he threw against the Packers. They had no business winning that game, defense showed up time and time again only for them to give credit to Wilson for throwing the TD late.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Billick actually did a good job keeping those teams on same page for most part. I mean in all seriousness the defense shoulda carried the team. That is where all the money and most of high picks were invested. Outside of Jamal Lewis only time an offensive player was picked or compensated with a big contract is when the their back was to the wall. Which usually resulted in a reach.

Management would take best wr available as opposed to putting resources into obtaining somebody legit. We shoulda traded up for plaxico in 2000. As opposed to wasting a first rounder on whatever trash(Travis Taylor) is available. Shoulda traded up for plaxico or went bpa or traded down. Same song different dance with Perriman. No speed at WR and took best wr left on board as opposed trading up for Amari Cooper and taking a wr in the loaded 2014 class. No, management waited until there wasn't really a choice and WR was a major need with no speed at the position once Torrey signed elsewhere.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Billick actually did a good job keeping those teams on same page for most part. I mean in all seriousness the defense shoulda carried the team. That is where all the money and most of high picks were invested. Outside of Jamal Lewis only time an offensive player was picked or compensated with a big contract is when the their back was to the wall. Which usually resulted in a reach.

Management would take best wr available as opposed to putting resources into obtaining somebody legit. We shoulda traded up for plaxico in 2000. As opposed to wasting a first rounder on whatever trash(Travis Taylor) is available. Shoulda traded up for plaxico or went bpa or traded down. Same song different dance with Perriman. No speed at WR and took best wr left on board as opposed trading up for Amari Cooper and taking a wr in the loaded 2014 class. No, management waited until there wasn't really a choice and WR was a major need with no speed at the position once Torrey signed elsewhere.
Trading up for Cooper would have set us back a lot and it's unreasonable to have expected the team to trade into the top 5 from 26.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Coulda traded rounds 1-4 picks to move up. Who would we miss?? Max Davis Allen?? If raiders said no then so be it.

That is the most hindsight logic I have ever heard. Yes it COULD have worked out, if we assume none of the players listed develop at all, in that select circumstance but look at it this way, teams have tried the massive trade to move up for a ton of draft picks before and how often has the team that traded to move up been happy with it? Let us not pretend that the vast majority of the time that the team that gets the picks ends up being on the winning end of the mega deals.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
That is the most hindsight logic I have ever heard. Yes it COULD have worked out, if we assume none of the players listed develop at all, in that select circumstance but look at it this way, teams have tried the massive trade to move up for a ton of draft picks before and how often has the team that traded to move up been happy with it? Let us not pretend that the vast majority of the time that the team that gets the picks ends up being on the winning end of the mega deals.

Have to trust your judgement on a player. Hindsight is a gms job. How many gms jobs were saved by saying sure you can judge my job performance with the benefit of hindsight. How was I to know Cooper would be a total stud and Perriman Davis Williams and Allen all were going to be losers. Likewise if Marqise Lee finishes his breakout and becomes a top5 WR. When we could get him for a round 2-3 pick. Can't say of course you can judge me for not making a play when you have the benefit of hindsight. It's their job to identify talent and trust the analysis. Playing it safe and taking next best player available cuz your scared you will get the short end of a deal will result in a collection of mediocre and back up players and middle of the pack team.Our TE situation is classic example

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Have to trust your judgement on a player. Hindsight is a gms job. How many gms jobs were saved by saying sure you can judge my job performance with the benefit of hindsight. How was I to know Cooper would be a total stud and Perriman Davis Williams and Allen all were going to be losers. Likewise if Marqise Lee finishes his breakout and becomes a top5 WR. When we could get him for a round 2-3 pick. Can't say of course you can judge me for not making a play when you have the benefit of hindsight. It's their job to identify talent and trust the analysis. Playing it safe and taking next best player available cuz your scared you will get the short end of a deal will result in a collection of mediocre and back up players and middle of the pack team.Our TE situation is classic example

Except you cant KNOW who will be a great player and any GM who tells you otherwise is either a liar or an idiot.

You are already being drastically premature in valling the listed players losers especially when the 1st pick in essentially a rookie year with no csmp put up some good numbers and showed flashes of brilliance that had he npt been hampered by injuries a really special player might have already been at WR and anyone who says they could predict a plauer with a clean injury history getting a few fluke injuries is an even bigger fool.

Perriman is primed for a breakout year abd everyone knows it, TE traditionally take time to develop so when the most likely scenario happens once again the team with picks will be the team better off.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Except you cant KNOW who will be a great player and any GM who tells you otherwise is either a liar or an idiot.

You are already being drastically premature in valling the listed players losers especially when the 1st pick in essentially a rookie year with no csmp put up some good numbers and showed flashes of brilliance that had he npt been hampered by injuries a really special player might have already been at WR and anyone who says they could predict a plauer with a clean injury history getting a few fluke injuries is an even bigger fool.

Perriman is primed for a breakout year abd everyone knows it, TE traditionally take time to develop so when the most likely scenario happens once again the team with picks will be the team better off.

I never said a gm should know for sure. But should trust his own analysis. It was hypothetical saying all were losers. However you say Perriman is primed for a big breakout?? Cuz I think his routes suck. And will not produce much separation unless he has got far better. And you say we are better off with the quantity. max Davis and Allen than Cooper. If anything I say Cooper is the one primed for the big breakout. We will have to revisit this thread this fall.

Every situation is different. Sometimes the team with the picks is better off and sometimes the team that gets the stud is better off. Should the ravens have traded away pick 16 for picks in rounds 1-4 or were we better sitting at pick16 snd taking Humphrey?

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I never said a gm should know for sure. But should trust his own analysis. It was hypothetical saying all were losers. However you say Perriman is primed for a big breakout?? Cuz I think his routes suck. And will not produce much separation unless he has got far better. And you say we are better off with the quantity. max Davis and Allen than Cooper. If anything I say Cooper is the one primed for the big breakout. We will have to revisit this thread this fall.

Every situation is different. Sometimes the team with the picks is better off and sometimes the team that gets the stud is better off. Should the ravens have traded away pick 16 for picks in rounds 1-4 or were we better sitting at pick16 snd taking Humphrey?

That 49ers trade is tempting but im pretty sure they were offering a 2 a 3 and a 4 which means no first round pick and i place a high value on those due to that optiom giving you greater control over the player and whether he stays or goes.

Also to move up into the top 5 from early 20s i am pretty sure you need to trade a 1 a 3 and a future 1 and that 1-4 wouldn't cut it but either way i place a very high value on 1s and would never part with that pick unless SF added maybe 1 more pick to over pay.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
That 49ers trade is tempting but im pretty sure they were offering a 2 a 3 and a 4 which means no first round pick and i place a high value on those due to that optiom giving you greater control over the player and whether he stays or goes.

Also to move up into the top 5 from early 20s i am pretty sure you need to trade a 1 a 3 and a future 1 and that 1-4 wouldn't cut it but either way i place a very high value on 1s and would never part with that pick unless SF added maybe 1 more pick to over pay.

It's trading down 16 spots and picking up an xtra 2 and 3. Cooper was considered a rare talent. Humph isn't. He actually has some serious flaws. I do think the extra players we would get would be more beneficial than Humph alone. Humph while having his merits is not special. Many gms may actually prefer Lamp himself over Humph. Then to get an extra early 3 and 4 would be awesome. So I would take that trade.

I woulda traded rounds 1-4 for Cooper. The players we drafted are all replaceable run of mill players. An elite WR is not so easily obtained. However I would not trade an extra round 1 along with multiple picks in that draft. There is a point it gets ridiculous and to steep. Raiders would have to accept the 1-4 or no trade.