• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Za'Darius Smith

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nah, I was a big fan of his in the draft and held out hope for him, then his 2017 year he looked so bad flailing onto the turf that everyone turned on him lol, especially me.

But in 2018, yeah he was schemed a lot, and he can’t get pressure without scheming, but he was a physical force, he is just a really physically dominant player with relentless pursuit and motor. He’ll never be a double digit sack guy because you can’t leave him on the edge and depend on him to win 1v1, but with good movement around the front he will create a ton of pressure and he’s usually good to finish with about 6 sacks from those exotic blitzes. It really depends on your DC, but you’ll love his effort and raw power. Y’all overpaid but y’all got better when you signed him.

he will be infuriating and exhilarating in the biggest moments in equal measure - he'll make some huge pressures at times and at others you'll see him on the ground in the backfield

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
ZDS is probably little better than what we (Ravens fans) think of him due to high expectations but $66M over 4 years? That's a new level of insane.

Doing well. How are you Cindy?

I am pretty good. Luckily the winter weather has not been too bad here.

There is a Disney message board I go on and they have a community board where people talk about all sorts of things and the other day a question came up about the top 3 sporting venues people want to visit and a number of people including myself said Lambeau Field.

I am pretty good. Luckily the winter weather has not been too bad here.

There is a Disney message board I go on and they have a community board where people talk about all sorts of things and the other day a question came up about the top 3 sporting venues people want to visit and a number of people including myself said Lambeau Field.

I agree Lambeau is awesome! You should go sometime. Anyway Raven fans I hope Za Darius turns out for us. It sounds like he is overrated though.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree Lambeau is awesome! You should go sometime. Anyway Raven fans I hope Za Darius turns out for us. It sounds like he is overrated though.
Trust me. He'll work out well for you. One thing I truly believe is that when top notch organizations like the Packers pay big money, a lot of soul searching has gone into it as well as a lot of intrinsic tape watching. If they paid him that it is for one of two reasons. A) They believe he's worth that and B) They believed they couldn't get him for less.
Sometimes, it is best to trust the process and wait and see. Good luck with Z. Smith.

purp

Practice Squad
I could see ZDS having a 10-12 sack campaign. He’s going to be the featured Rush linebacker for the first time in his career and he’s going to eat. I don’t think he maintains that level of play for the duration of his contract but if the Packers can get 2.5 borderline pro bowl years out of him then it was worth the investment.

When you have a QB like Rodgers it’s not about being amazing on defense, you just have to get him the ball back. ZDS will help them do that.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I could see ZDS having a 10-12 sack campaign. He’s going to be the featured Rush linebacker for the first time in his career and he’s going to eat. I don’t think he maintains that level of play for the duration of his contract but if the Packers can get 2.5 borderline pro bowl years out of him then it was worth the investment.

When you have a QB like Rodgers it’s not about being amazing on defense, you just have to get him the ball back. ZDS will help them do that.
Lowkey eager to see what Mike Pettine can do with that front seven. Gary, Fackrell and the two Smithes plus a rising star in Kenny Clark, this should be fun to watch.