• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

WELCOME TO BALTIMORE: HOLLYWOOD BROWN!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
no question we are a better offense and a better team this morning.
Yeah. My main concerns are his frame. Not necessarily his weight itself. Tyreek and Djax May be 175, but they’re ripped. Lots of muscle.

Brown is lean. He needs to get bigger or else nfl LBs are going to kill him.

That’s literally it. He’s not going to be a contested grab machine, but if you draft him for that, you’re name is probably David Gettleman. Because you shouldn’t be drafting.

Other than that. His tape has no weaknesses

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really hate seeing the Patriots take my #1 choice but the things I could see us doing with Hollywood are out of bounds. Not only deeps just to spread the field but quick slants with yac, wr screens and jet sweeps really adds a lot to this offense.

So who's next. Andy Isabella. Then we have some serious speed.

if we do draft isabella it would really be a big signifier of what we're trying to do as an offence - and DJ would have nailed it months ago when he said we'd try and put a track team around lamar (although he was talking about that in regards particularly to parris campbell)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brown pick is growing on me, it’s just an exciting player, and the most natural receiver the ravens ever drafted, perriman torrey and Taylor were all projects, Clayton was less of a project but had injuries and drops. Brown is a route runner, he’s a playmaker, he’s a natural receiver, he’s all of it, once he’s 100% healthy he’s a day one starter and the best receiver on our team, but god damn I hate that lisfranc and his lack of size, I can’t believe so many people seem to be ignoring the fact that he weighed in at 166...

with regards to the weigh in you have to remember that's his weight without being able to train for the combine etc. - when he weighed in there was no way that was his nfl playing weight - that and the fact he's not been in an nfl training program yet either

and with respect to the lisfranc, decosta addressed it in his post-draft presser:

• the ravens have a level of comfort with his lisfranc because of our recent franchise history with them and so we understand their impacts both short-term and long-term and that in our experience they are an incredibly predictable injury and recovery time
  • they've been updated consistently by brown's agent through the process with video, medical rechecks and updates so that they can see how he's recovering and they're pretty happy with the schedule of recovery
  • said they are pretty confident that he'll be available to practice fully by the time training camp comes around at least
  • it's not a perfect situation obviously but given our experiences with similar injuries (especially after jimmy smith) we are comfortable with his prognosis
in terms of lack of size i dont have an issue with that, he's stylistically similar to desean jackson and tyreek hill who both have a playing weight that i think is very attainable for marquise

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
I'm not super concerned about his weight, with the way the game is played it has made it easy for small guys like Ty Hilton,
Djax and others to thirve. If i'm not mistaken TY is only 180lbs so not far off from Brown and at least it doesn't seem like he's often hurt

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brown would certainly have gone top 20 if he had a chance to work out at the scouting combine.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't doubt the talent, but I do doubt the ability to take advantage of it. Trading back if possible even into second and getting McCoy or even grabbing Ford if push came to shove, I just think plays more into the strengths of the Ravens.

I get Harbs didn't like those 10 play drives that burned clock but they played to Lamars strengths and so why not build on those strengths instead of drafting to change strengths.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fun fact: I was born in Hollywood FL too, does that make me special

No, you are special.

Special to us you fucking loser.

I live close to Hollywood, FL and its pretty cool that a lot of these guys are ending up in Baltimore. See Lamar Jackson who lives 40 min north.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I don't doubt the talent, but I do doubt the ability to take advantage of it. Trading back if possible even into second and getting McCoy or even grabbing Ford if push came to shove, I just think plays more into the strengths of the Ravens.

I get Harbs didn't like those 10 play drives that burned clock but they played to Lamars strengths and so why not build on those strengths instead of drafting to change strengths.
Sustainability and predictability.
One trick pony offense can't get you far enough.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
No, you are special.

Special to us you fucking loser.

I live close to Hollywood, FL and its pretty cool that a lot of these guys are ending up in Baltimore. See Lamar Jackson who lives 40 min north.
Ya i live in boca and know a few people who know both of them. This is pretty cool tbh. Hopefully they show out in Miami week 1

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

Because if you have a one dimensional offense defenses are just going to stack the box and fuck you, no matter how strong your oline is.

Brown is more than just a deep threat. Defenses can no longer press us. You press us, Brown will be running down the field 40 yards with an impossibly large cushion, and even Tim Tebow wouldn't screw that up. Defenses will be forced to play zone defense, which plays to our favor even with Marquise on the roster because 1.We have two TEs who can beat zone coverage effortlessly in their sleep 2. Willie Snead is a really good slot WR who can do the same. 3. If you give Marquise even a 10 yard cushion on something as simple as a slant route (which Lamar can throw btw), he can take it to the house. 4. Playing zone against us really favors our identity as a rushing team.

If Marquise can remain healthy(my primary concern), he's a game wrecker and someone opposing defense coordinators are going to hate planning against.

This pick does play to the strengths of the Ravens. I want to fix this line too, and we need to do that, but Brown's impact on this team goes far beyond the stat line, get a clue.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Guys..look at my track record in the first round

If i say we got a baller, I'm right.

Thank goodness we didn't go metcalf or sweat.

Don't look now but we're actually becoming a flashy team when we were kinda boring for years..
Not sure I ever remember you being this happy about one of our picks. Good to see. I was wondering if you were just the type to hate on everything.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not sure I ever remember you being this happy about one of our picks. Good to see. I was wondering if you were just the type to hate on everything.
He's become tolerable with the pessimism.

But his ego quota is filling Winchester's old ego.

But I don't care at this point. I'm just waiting for us to draft Furgeson and have @JoeyFlex5 crash the forum entirely.

Routes and hands are for real. He’s absolutely a route runner, and at 170 is still one of the better catchers in this class with few drops and a number of catches through contact and in traffic.

Being 170, coming off a lisfranc, and being ABs cousin are all my reasons for worry. Along with not being sold that he’s a good fit, I don’t know that this offense utilizes him well
I found it interesting when DeCosta talked about Brown being a fit. He said - "He fits with our offense" - but then corrected himself and said, "he fits with the kind of offense we want to become".

Those are really 2 different things. People look at the offense we ran at the end of the season and don't see how a guy like Brown fits. It remains to be seen how we can transform the offense with a new OC, but when you get weapons, it opens up possibilities.