• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

WELCOME TO BALTIMORE: HOLLYWOOD BROWN!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I found it interesting when DeCosta talked about Brown being a fit. He said - "He fits with our offense" - but then corrected himself and said, "he fits with the kind of offense we want to become".

Those are really 2 different things. People look at the offense we ran at the end of the season and don't see how a guy like Brown fits. It remains to be seen how we can transform the offense with a new OC, but when you get weapons, it opens up possibilities.
I think it’s basically a power run heavy traditional offense with exotic blocking schemes and 2 TE sets. The TEs will be the focal point of the passing game, with a marquise brown the box can’t be stacked anymore for the run and tight ends cannot be doubled by safeties because marquise brown is a legitimate threat who will always demand a safety.

And without a stacked box, brown should be used to work the middle, and the TEs then used deeper, the secondary will have to read consistently.

All of this of course is based on lamar becoming a better passer. And again this pass game should be used sparingly with the run being the main producer, but when the run is cashing them and we hit them with play action, we need to know whether the safety help is to stop brown, or if they’re keying on the TEs. I think that will be the key, knowing which threat the safeties are attacking, go elsewhere and exploit, and do it consistently, that will cover up a lot of Lamar’s deficiencies as a passer giving him easy and explosive plays.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it’s basically a power run heavy traditional offense with exotic blocking schemes and 2 TE sets. The TEs will be the focal point of the passing game, with a marquise brown the box can’t be stacked anymore for the run and tight ends cannot be doubled by safeties because marquise brown is a legitimate threat who will always demand a safety.

And without a stacked box, brown should be used to work the middle, and the TEs then used deeper, the secondary will have to read consistently.

All of this of course is based on lamar becoming a better passer. And again this pass game should be used sparingly with the run being the main producer, but when the run is cashing them and we hit them with play action, we need to know whether the safety help is to stop brown, or if they’re keying on the TEs. I think that will be the key, knowing which threat the safeties are attacking, go elsewhere and exploit, and do it consistently, that will cover up a lot of Lamar’s deficiencies as a passer giving him easy and explosive plays.
This may also help out guys like Snead and Lasley, who should see less coverage when Brown is there on the field if he lives up to the promise. With Lasley's speed, that could pay some nice dividends if Hurst & Andrews are the real deal. Our offense could be legit devastating if that all works out if Lamar is ready. Let's just shore up that IOL and be ready to go.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This may also help out guys like Snead and Lasley, who should see less coverage when Brown is there on the field if he lives up to the promise. With Lasley's speed, that could pay some nice dividends if Hurst & Andrews are the real deal. Our offense could be legit devastating if that all works out if Lamar is ready. Let's just shore up that IOL and be ready to go.
yeah, its exciting, the more i think about it the more i like the pick, i let those concerns cloud my judgement too much, looking at what he can do rather than what he cant... and i also have a different perspective on why hes a fit, when yesterday i said he wasnt a fit, and heres why...

aside from the obvious Xs and Os part where you need that blue chip burner to keep a max of 7 in the box, and aside from lamars best throw being the slant and wanting a guy who will not only separate on slants but also take them to the house, the main reason i consider him a fit is because lamar is bad at throwing deep, he struggles with combining hangtime and placement, and when you really think about it, a big body jumpball receiver may have a bigger catch radius from where they stand, but on the deep ball marquise brown has the biggest catch radius in this class and its not close, because you can toss it 60+ anywhere on the field and he can and will get to it, just throw as far away from the nearest safety as possible and let him field it. lamar throwing deep to a contested catch type of guy is a disaster waiting to happen, because you need placement and you gotta hit the receiver with timing, but something lamar does pretty damn well that ive notice is spot-throwing, so it makes sense that when your qb who will likely struggle to hit a deep receiver on the mark with timing and touch, can just spot throw to a burner instead.

this never worked with flacco because torrey was so damn average at getting off press and locating the ball, and perriman was perriman, but most importantly we had NO RUN GAME for years and no OL to pass protect either, nothing gelled. with our current run offense teams will fear the ground game enough to allow lamar to just toss punts up there like flacco used to, but now theres 2+ fewer DBs out there to contest them and a blue chip burner and deep ball tracker to execute it.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man I am afraid of this pick due to his injuries.

It took some big balls for DeCosta to pick a receiver as the first pick considering our failures at this position.

Man I am afraid of this pick due to his injuries.

It took some big balls for DeCosta to pick a receiver as the first pick considering our failures at this position.

Yes it did, especially since his mentor, as great as he was, was snake bitten when it came to drafting WR’s. I think Eric wants to get the monkey off the organizations back right away. Lol. Let’s all hope Hollywood lives up to his name.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brown pick is growing on me, it’s just an exciting player, and the most natural receiver the ravens ever drafted, perriman torrey and Taylor were all projects, Clayton was less of a project but had injuries and drops. Brown is a route runner, he’s a playmaker, he’s a natural receiver, he’s all of it, once he’s 100% healthy he’s a day one starter and the best receiver on our team, but god damn I hate that lisfranc and his lack of size, I can’t believe so many people seem to be ignoring the fact that he weighed in at 166...
Even Hollywood has said that is not his playing weight.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How much bigger can he really get? At his size it seems like injuries will be a worry as will the contested catch. The rest is a non concern
he should be able to hit 175-180 at which point my concern is a lot less. guys that play at his speed can survive at 175, desean jackson was 170 for most of his career and about 2 inches taller right?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
he should be able to hit 175-180 at which point my concern is a lot less. guys that play at his speed can survive at 175, desean jackson was 170 for most of his career and about 2 inches taller right?

Jackson is 5'10 and Brown is also that height (per wikipedia). As of now Jackson is 175 (same source).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Is gus Johnson still calling nfl games? I really want him to call a ravens game and drop a “HOLLY....WOOD.... BROWN” as he sprints to the end zone. Gus Johnson got too much swag mayne, he makes marquise browns highlight reels better lmao