• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Future Changes Coming

redrum52

Hall of Famer
A lot of people are saying they don’t see the issue being mentioned but I actually do. I’m firmly anti censorship, but I’m all for a less toxic environment, and it’s true that differing opinions often devolves into shit flinging nonsense, and we’ve all been doing this for years so we’re used to it and it becomes humorous with us, but when new posters come in and they post an unpopular opinion, they’re given some pretty arrogant shit tier responses and it’s easy to see why a newcomer wouldn’t continue posting here. I like to think I’m less like that than I used to be, but I know that back during the peak of the Flacco debates I had to have been the worst piece of shit to argue with.

I think a lot of us don’t see some of it as toxic because we’re all just so used to each others bullshit here lol but to a newcomer it probably is off putting.

... yea the fuck you were.

This new generation of posters is too goddam soft! Back in my day...

Edit: Wanted to see if new filter was up yet.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@Lost_In_Translation , I understand your reasoning behind all of this. My next question may come as a smart-aleck one, but I'm dead serious with this: can we add "Marty" to the list of profane words? He censored our offense so it's only just.

*** should be censored as this also

Both of you are receiving long-term suspensions for just mentioning those two people. Shame on you two

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This. There's nothing to talk about.

I felt oppressed at the BR forums and they didn't give a shit. As long as people are civil, don't really think it should matter...

There were some heated "debates," I remember, but all seem to be fine.
And that's why we plan on being more lax. WE won't be warning people if they do curse, in fact we are just considering a few words(fuck, and slurs mostly).

And I know that it's unpopular but I'm not suggesting some kumbaya. We're not that unrealistic. But a limited filter and trying to keep things more civil should bode well.

We don't want a safe space. We're not like that. I do want a respectful environment, and after consulting some of you I'm glad that (for the most part) this is having positive feedback.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
... yea the fuck you were.

This new generation of posters is too goddam soft! Back in my day...

Edit: Wanted to see if new filter was up yet.
Agreed there too, it’s the internet, toughen up cupcake! I survived the ravens forums from 2013-2017 when the Flacco debates raged, I survived Xbox and PlayStation chat before the pussies made the world all about their feelings, I survived WoW private server world chat(straight up you haven’t seen toxic until you’ve seen that, holy hell), it’s a shame that folks can’t handle some of what we throw around on here, but hell if it’s actually stopping this site from being more popular than maybe we shouldn’t be such dicks lmao

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Agreed there too, it’s the internet, toughen up cupcake! I survived the ravens forums from 2013-2017 when the Flacco debates raged, I survived Xbox and PlayStation chat before the pussies made the world all about their feelings, I survived WoW private server world chat(straight up you haven’t seen toxic until you’ve seen that, holy hell), it’s a shame that folks can’t handle some of what we throw around on here, but hell if it’s actually stopping this site from being more popular than maybe we shouldn’t be such dicks lmao
Personally, I'm the last person in the world who cares about safe spaces. I'm anti-censorship but I've had 5+ members in the past two months scared off. Let's grow the community and at least be civil with one another.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Whatever happens, happens. Would definitely like to see some of the former members come back and if we can ever find the members from the old board who never came over. I miss a lot of them, especially when it comes to not having certain members in the Forum Game. Also we need to make this board more welcoming not just for Ravens fans, but any teams fans except for Patriots & Steelers, lol jk. Now that the Browns are doing good, anyone else miss the old Browns fan we had on the old board? It's great to have @Ice Bowl here but would love to see more fans of other teams here for sure.

Whatever changes we need to make in order to become a better place for all NFL fans, because let's face it debating between us gets boring and having the same debates. Let's get more other teams fans here and debate them and get another perspective.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
A lot of people are saying they don’t see the issue being mentioned but I actually do. I’m firmly anti censorship, but I’m all for a less toxic environment, and it’s true that differing opinions often devolves into shit flinging nonsense, and we’ve all been doing this for years so we’re used to it and it becomes humorous with us, but when new posters come in and they post an unpopular opinion, they’re given some pretty arrogant shit tier responses and it’s easy to see why a newcomer wouldn’t continue posting here. I like to think I’m less like that than I used to be, but I know that back during the peak of the Flacco debates I had to have been the worst piece of shit to argue with.

I think a lot of us don’t see some of it as toxic because we’re all just so used to each others bullshit here lol but to a newcomer it probably is off putting.
Pretty much this.
The last thing any of us want to do is turn this forum into safe space. Personally, I resent that line of thinking and I think the other mods and I agree that this would be just as bad as what the community is currently. The profanity filter is going to be limited. It’s not like we are eliminating every word, primarily racial slurs and other slurs. We are not going to punish anyone for cursing either.

I’m pleasantly surprised that this has received as much positive feedback as it has. But I think Joey hit it on the head. Newcomers have been scared off, and certain older members don’t post here anymore. It’s a “my way or the highway” environment. I get it’s slow now but how much has community grown in the past 2 years. Not much. Personally I think part of it is a lack of exposure, we are small, but the other problem is the simple arrogance thrown around here by some members. Mostly me.

When I consulted the rest of the team, I had three options in mind that I wanted to propose to solve the lack of growth problem.

1. Since I blame myself for it. I leave. personally I was also getting fed up.
2. The rest of you can vote me off of the island. I have no problems going, and if y’all want to keep your precious profanity, believe me, I will get out faster than you can imagine.
3. Consult with the other mods and try to fix this problem.

This is what we came up with. So either we just remain small, receive no growth, and eventually die. Or we can fix this problem.

Again, if anyone has a problem, feel free to PM me, insult me, whatever. We appreciate your criticism, but we think this is what’s best.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
And that's why we plan on being more lax. WE won't be warning people if they do curse, in fact we are just considering a few words(fuck, and slurs mostly).

And I know that it's unpopular but I'm not suggesting some kumbaya. We're not that unrealistic. But a limited filter and trying to keep things more civil should bode well.

We don't want a safe space. We're not like that. I do want a respectful environment, and after consulting some of you I'm glad that (for the most part) this is having positive feedback.

!00% behind you on this bro. Sometimes I let the f word fly but I try to keep it minimal so a ban on this word doesn't bother me in the least. Some people just plain flat out do not use this language. The gd word persoinally bothers me but I also understand some people just aren't into religion so I've never chastised. Slurs I guess it depends on how you use it but if its used as an insult then delete. jmo. One thing that should never happen is one member telling another member they should just leave the forum just cuz they don't agree. Just plain wrong!!

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not really sure how limiting profanity is going to grow the board (people are way too sensitive nowadays), but I guess we'll see what happens. I think the bigger problem is that some posters take their heated debates too far and start taking things personally. It's important to remember that even though we may disagree on certain things, we're all Ravens fans so we should try to be respectful.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Ive had dam near the whole board disagree with me on stuff lol and im still here. We die hard fans in this mf so there are gonna be times when we disagree, then 5mins later we back on the same page. I dont see a problem tbh.. the problem will come once we start seeing everyone agreeing with each other and no serious debates going on.

Reactions: cdp

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Ive had dam near the whole board disagree with me on stuff lol and im still here. We die hard fans in this mf so there are gonna be times when we disagree, then 5mins later we back on the same page. I dont see a problem tbh.. the problem will come once we start seeing everyone agreeing with each other and no serious debates going on.
That's not the goal though......

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I give you props lol you post unpopular opinions left and right and you defended yourself from the shit flinging when all the other newer posters left lmao

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
totally agree. Good discussion comes from dissenting opinions and this is a very subjective sport to begin with. When everyone starts agreeing, it won't be fun anymore.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Lost_In_Translation you're so dramatic with this shit I love it lol. All I’d ever see from you is

“As you all know I’m leaving”

“I’m leaving soon”

“When I leave...”

Bro we all knew you weren’t leaving lmaooo you’re the crazy girlfriend who threatens to break up every week but always sticks around and we love anyway

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why am I always late to the party?

I have seen before that apparently there have been some nasty fights on here.