• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Injuries

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
can i ask some people here how the fuck do we have the 3rd least cap in the NFL and such a pathetic offense?

we have 3 mill in cap room. If i was ozzie right now i'd flat out tell flacco we need him to take a paycut.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Losing Pitta is pretty close to inconsequential in terms of how the offense performs in 2017.

I'm reading some pretty severe falling sky overreaction.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Losing Pitta is pretty close to inconsequential in terms of how the offense performs in 2017.

I agree. The O is among the worst in the league with or without him. Probably bottom 4

RavensDFan

Veteran

I don't get that reaction at all. I mainly just feel badly for Pitta on a personal level. TE wasn't a position where we're hurting really.

Just read that Pitta is expected to retire.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well I've seen its dislocated for a 3rd time. So now I'll repeat what I previously said he needs to just announce his retirement now, began thinking about quality of life going forward.

I remember I was so pissed when they paid him after the first Hip injury.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, it should be interesting to see if Pitta retires or if he forces the team to waive him. As the contract restructure included an Injury Waiver clause to protect the team.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I hope not. We need the cap space. Let the young guns develop.

I'm just gonna say it. I don't really expect anything this season. If I had to guess, I'd say 8-8 with some close and exciting games, but I honestly don't really see THIS team making noise. People talking about trading, I really don't agree with. This to me is the perfect year to send the young guys out on offense and see what they can do. Also, don't think we should be using cap to sign Maclin unless it's a one year deal and even then I'd prefer Boldin.

How much cap space is freed by releasing both Pitta and Watson?
According to overthecap.com, $2.5 for Pitta and $3M for Watson

Pitta is a no-brainer - actually, I don't think his will be a cut, but rather retirement (but same thing with respect to the cap).

Watson seemed like an obvious cut candidate, but I have to wonder if that is going to be rethought now with Pitta gone. I know many of us want to see the young guys get the job done, but I'm not sure that the FO is willing to put their faith in Gilmore and Williams, when they've proven very, very little. Neither have been able to stay healthy and neither have exactly lit it up when they've been on the field. Boyle has shown promise, but has been suspended so much that it is hard to know what we have in him.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
As soon as Arrington is out of the concussion protocol, I expect him to be cut.

It's a real shame that a player can count toward your cap this way due to injury and you can't waive him without cap implications.

It's a tough spot.

I think the overreaction is partially based on the fact that he got so many catches last year and also based on what he used to mean to the team.

Yes, he caught a lot of balls, but man it really feels like Flacco completely over targets him. In that last game of the season, it felt like Joe had no intention of throwing anything but 3 yard passes to Pitta when we needed 10 for a first down. A total stat padding event.

I think the loss of Pitta is more of a personal tragedy than a team/talent tragedy. Whether the young guys can really get it going, I don't know, but it feels like we've got no choice but to find out.

As soon as Arrington is out of the concussion protocol, I expect him to be cut.

It's a real shame that a player can count toward your cap this way due to injury and you can't waive him without cap implications.

It's a tough spot.
Arrington being cut seems like it has to be a guarantee. Other than Pitta and Watson, he's the only guy we can let go of and save significant money.

K-Dog

MVP
Well, it should be interesting to see if Pitta retires or if he forces the team to waive him. As the contract restructure included an Injury Waiver clause to protect the team.

I am pretty sure both parties will come to a conclusion that will be in both parties best interests.
There is no anger or bitterness here. Ravens have always taken care of their families and Pitta is and always will be family.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I read somewhere we get compensation if it's injury based ( on the contract). Could it actually be 5 mill in savings ? could then cut watson and arrington and have 10 mill in cap savings..

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I totally agree and have had this discussion off the boards. It may even be a benefit with Flacco spreading the back around more.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well I've seen its dislocated for a 3rd time. So now I'll repeat what I previously said he needs to just announce his retirement now, began thinking about quality of life going forward.

I remember I was so pissed when they paid him after the first Hip injury.
I said this two years ago when he injured it the second time. It was too risky to play again and risk injuring it the third year.