• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Chiefs

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
On the road for the Chiefs home opener next week.

Looking very beatable in Oakland so far.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I have not really been following the Chiefs this season, but last season their defense was horrible. Have they made any improvements? I know Hill torched us last season, but I believe he is injured. Arrowhead is still a tough place to play. It will be a real test next week because Mahomes is the real deal. However, with how Lamar has improved, I still like our chances.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I have not really been following the Chiefs this season, but last season their defense was horrible. Have they made any improvements? I know Hill torched us last season, but I believe he is injured. Arrowhead is still a tough place to play. It will be a real test next week because Mahomes is the real deal. However, with how Lamar has improved, I still like our chances.
We can play against anybody. Lack of experience might cost us in some games but we're in with a shot in any stadium.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Can we please get a third Corner before we play them

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Damn I go out to do a little yard work at the end of the first quarter and the Raiders were winning 10-0 and I come back and see Mahomes throws four TD’s in the second quarter for 28 unanswered points.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
While I don’t like averett vs Robinson at all, gareon Conley is utter garbage and Robinson scares me no more than Christian Kirk or keesean Johnson, and also averett stopped getting victimized at a point later in the game and suddenly the cards stopped moving the ball entirely.

Not enough faith in our scheme right now, it’s gonna have hiccups as they adjust to not having a top tier corner, and being a high risk scheme those hiccups will be ugly, but once the adjustments are made the odds are that it’s gonna mostly shine and at worst have the occasional ugly moment. Notice that the cards had next to no sustained drives today and one score came from a failed fourth down and taking over at midfield, and every other score seemed to come on the back of one big play followed by a red zone shutdown. They couldn’t move the ball consistently against us, their whole offense relied on chunk plays and a lot of plays that looked like a leap of faith tossup that happened to be caught.

Obviously I’m worried because it’s the chiefs, but I think you guys are pressing the panic button too soon. With a good film session and week of practice you can clear up the knack to give up big plays(especially when you have earl Thomas), if we were giving up long sustained drives with dinks and dunks all over then you have a problem, but we didn’t do that...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
While I don’t like averett vs Robinson at all, gareon Conley is utter garbage and Robinson scares me no more than Christian Kirk or keesean Johnson, and also averett stopped getting victimized at a point later in the game and suddenly the cards stopped moving the ball entirely.

Not enough faith in our scheme right now, it’s gonna have hiccups as they adjust to not having a top tier corner, and being a high risk scheme those hiccups will be ugly, but once the adjustments are made the odds are that it’s gonna mostly shine and at worst have the occasional ugly moment. Notice that the cards had next to no sustained drives today and one score came from a failed fourth down and taking over at midfield, and every other score seemed to come on the back of one big play followed by a red zone shutdown. They couldn’t move the ball consistently against us, their whole offense relied on chunk plays and a lot of plays that looked like a leap of faith tossup that happened to be caught.

Obviously I’m worried because it’s the chiefs, but I think you guys are pressing the panic button too soon. With a good film session and week of practice you can clear up the knack to give up big plays(especially when you have earl Thomas), if we were giving up long sustained drives with dinks and dunks all over then you have a problem, but we didn’t do that...

the other promising thing of note is we only allowed 1 td against the cardinals which came on that drive where everything went wrong all at once - every other time the cardinals got into the redzone the defence stiffened up and got the stops

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the other promising thing of note is we only allowed 1 td against the cardinals which came on that drive where everything went wrong all at once - every other time the cardinals got into the redzone the defence stiffened up and got the stops
Exactly. It looked ugly but it looked worse than it was. Our defense was not bad, it had like 6 plays that made the game even competitive, and all the plays were either breakdowns or just awesome fluke catches.

I’m really hoping to see wink assign earl Thomas to bait whatever guy is being covered by averett, I see a real opportunity here, QBs don’t wanna target Humphrey or Carr, Thomas has the smarts and range to take advantage of this and force some turnovers.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
And after that TD, they didn't come close again after we forced three-and-outs.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Biggest hope for this game is that the trial by fire that they are giving Averett starts paying dividends because they are treating him like Jimmy and leaving him alone a lot which hopefully he grows into being able to do

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly. It looked ugly but it looked worse than it was. Our defense was not bad, it had like 6 plays that made the game even competitive, and all the plays were either breakdowns or just awesome fluke catches.

I’m really hoping to see wink assign earl Thomas to bait whatever guy is being covered by averett, I see a real opportunity here, QBs don’t wanna target Humphrey or Carr, Thomas has the smarts and range to take advantage of this and force some turnovers.

this is interesting also

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-...ponder-coverage-lapses-against-cardinals.html - about why the open receivers werent happening in the endzone vs the success of the cardinals with the whole field to work with