• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

For those who solely blame the defense...

Charm City

Pro Bowler
And the pass rush needs to act like they belong on the field. They get excited when the offense runs a slip screen because it looks like they can finally get a shot at the QB, its like the offense is hanging a carrot over their face and they keep taking the bait. When Suggs was on the field he knew that any sack he got, he needed to earn. If it seemed too easy to get past a lineman its because the lineman were letting him pass them, so he dropped back and looked for the screen. Our pass rush plays with blinders on. I think I saw Pierce sniffing out the screen the best yesterday, and when the only player chasing the RB is a 350 lb lineman then you know your defense has problems.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Lamar is doing fine. I don't expect him to carry the team like Pat Mahomes. He can still improve and he will, he is 22 and young.

No excuse for the defense giving up 40 to a team that had a previous high of 23 points.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is doing fine. I don't expect him to carry the team like Pat Mahomes. He can still improve and he will, he is 22 and young.

No excuse for the defense giving up 40 to a team that had a previous high of 23 points.

If a unit wants to eat almost all the draft capital the past 2 seasons, it better step up and play like it.

OMG this really has its own thread?

I can count the number of offenses in this league on one hand that would even have a prayer of overcoming that defensive performance and get a win ... even if I were a 3-toed sloth.

What a joke. Get over it.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If a unit wants to eat almost all the draft capital the past 2 seasons, it better step up and play like it.
and I'm glad we drafted mainly offense the last couple years as well. We needed to put talent around LJ. I'm pretty sure you agree. Now we need to upgrade the defense in a big way. Glad we have some cap room this offseason.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
OMG this really has its own thread?

I can count the number of offenses in this league on one hand that would even have a prayer of overcoming that defensive performance and get a win ... even if I were a 3-toed sloth.

What a joke. Get over it.
You can count the number of offenses on one FINGER... the chiefs. That’s it.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I mean Jackson is still on pace for nearly 4500 yards passing and nearly 1000 yards rushing and passing at around 65% with a qbr of 110

Obviously the stats don’t tell the whole story but I don’t know how anyone could complain about that - pretty sure no one was expecting this sort of play level before the season

There were some who were wondering whether he’d go over 300 yds in a game this year at all, or whether he’d go much above 3000 on the season

Like he’s obviously got things to work on but he’s a 2nd year qb who’s only 22 and is already carrying an offence that scares defences because of him - not sure what more people were expecting or even hoping for...
I think the frustrating things like short arming passes in the dirt and plays like missing the fly route with Andrews last week eventually go away, then watch out!

We have to build the O line if we want to get the championship. There’s really no probable way around it. The issues have been masked off and on for 7 years but never fully fixed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just because im still hesitant to fully accept the success of our offence (even in defeat, even after such a devastating loss) despite the statistical say-so

so i checked how we're doing in football outsiders dvoa metrics... our offence ranks 3rd overall (only behind the cowboys and chiefs)

defence ranks 29th (apparently the 3 teams worse than us are the dolphins, colts and bengals)

redrum52

Hall of Famer
So you want them to be better than the #1 scoring offense in the league?

That post is hilarious due to how people would argue where money was spent before in relation to performance and vice versa.

Just because im still hesitant to fully accept the success of our offence (even in defeat, even after such a devastating loss) despite the statistical say-so

so i checked how we're doing in football outsiders dvoa metrics... our offence ranks 3rd overall (only behind the cowboys and chiefs)

defence ranks 29th (apparently the 3 teams worse than us are the dolphins, colts and bengals)

I think defense is tied with the Dolphins for most yards allowed per play at about 7. People are pissed about the defense because no one really saw this coming.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Btw we average 482 YPG. KC is at like 475

The next closest team......420s

We also average 205 RYPG that's insane
they have 7 yards less than us per game and it's not like you can even say we played the dolphins, because they got to play us (sad to say). The Dolphins and us both give up 7 yards per play.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I'd say the offense with the most total yards, 6th most passing yards, 1st in rushing yards, tied with the Chiefs for 1st in total points, and 3rd with 6.7 yards per play is doing a good job playing like it.

Or maybe you are talking about the QB with 8.3 yards per attempt(7th) with a passer rating of 109.5(5th), a QBR of 78.6(4th)? I'd say he is doing pretty well and the fact that he has room to improve is honestly pretty exciting. Did I mention he is the most dynamic QB running the ball in the league?

You know Mahomes was sitting behind Alex Smith when he was 22 right?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want the number 1 scoring offense to put more then 10 points in 3 quarters yes and not get carried by the fact that Miami was 60 points.
OK, and those are just generally poor expectations on your part. You can have five more years of draft capital spent only on the offense, and you still won't get a team that's going to guarantee you 30 points a week. You might get somebody who averages 30 points a week, but that doesn't mean they score 30 every week. Some weeks they score 45, some weeks they score 15. Happens to the Patriots and Chiefs also, who are generally the measuring sticks for offensive output in this league.
In this particular complain, for the Browns game, its rather moot. If the Ravens scored 50 against the Browns, they still would have lost. Cleveland could pretty much do anything they wanted to, especially in the 2nd half.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd say the offense with the most total yards, 6th most passing yards, 1st in rushing yards, tied with the Chiefs for 1st in total points, and 3rd with 6.7 yards per play is doing a good job playing like it.

Or maybe you are talking about the QB with 8.3 yards per attempt(7th) with a passer rating of 109.5(5th), a QBR of 78.6(4th)? I'd say he is doing pretty well and the fact that he has room to improve is honestly pretty exciting. Did I mention he is the most dynamic QB running the ball in the league?

You know Mahomes was sitting behind Alex Smith when he was 22 right?

If you put 2 top picks into WRs, 2 into TEs, 1 into QB, and 1 into a new RT I can expect the offense to actually move the ball outside of garbage time or prevent defenses. 10 points in 3 quarters will not cut it when you are facing a high-flying offense with 2 established WRs and a stud young QB; it just wont and the stat padding in garbage time to make the numbers look better did not change the fact that the numbers were bad. Similarly they were equally bad against the Chiefs before they started giving so much cushion because they did not care if the Ravens scored they just didnt want the Ravens to score quickly because they knew as long as that did not happen they could run out the game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If you put 2 top picks into WRs, 2 into TEs, 1 into QB, and 1 into a new RT I can expect the offense to actually move the ball outside of garbage time or prevent defenses. 10 points in 3 quarters will not cut it when you are facing a high-flying offense with 2 established WRs and a stud young QB; it just wont and the stat padding in garbage time to make the numbers look better did not change the fact that the numbers were bad. Similarly they were equally bad against the Chiefs before they started giving so much cushion because they did not care if the Ravens scored they just didnt want the Ravens to score quickly because they knew as long as that did not happen they could run out the game.
there was no garbage time in the Chiefs game. None at all. We came damn close to getting the ball back and there is no saying what happens if we do get the ball back. Plus we make one two point conversion than all we need is a fg from Tucker to put the game in OT. You're way off base here.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, and those are just generally poor expectations on your part. You can have five more years of draft capital spent only on the offense, and you still won't get a team that's going to guarantee you 30 points a week. You might get somebody who averages 30 points a week, but that doesn't mean they score 30 every week. Some weeks they score 45, some weeks they score 15. Happens to the Patriots and Chiefs also, who are generally the measuring sticks for offensive output in this league.
In this particular complain, for the Browns game, its rather moot. If the Ravens scored 50 against the Browns, they still would have lost. Cleveland could pretty much do anything they wanted to, especially in the 2nd half.

Expecting an offense to put up more then 20 points before garbage time is not poor expectations. On its face the past 3 games look okay 23,28,25 points respectively which are solid but unspectacular numbers but the actual in game story is far different. They got a free TD against Browns in garbage time and a prevent defense TD against Chiefs that they were happy to give away.

That Browns game to me just highlighted that the offense NEEDS to do more. I am not asking Lamar to carry the team. Moore should have caught that ball. If Moore catches that ball that is 3 points on the baord and if Lamar places it better (he had SO much room) its 7 but that was not the only mistake that half. If ONE of them doesnt happen the Ravens are up at half and the entire game feels far different. For all the talk of the defense being leaky, they gave up 10 in the first half and held ODB to I believe the worst game of his career. They struggled dealing with Landry and the run defense without BWill was as bad as expected but that bring it back to there are sometimes when you need the healthy unit to step and win the game and the offense could not do that.

This is not all on Lamar as he is not the only person playing. He is covering for pretty poor OLine play but that does not matter if the offense cannot put points on the board when it matters. The defense will be fine once BWill and Jimmy are back but until then if the Ravens are going to win games they need the offense to do what it showed it could do.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
there was no garbage time in the Chiefs game. None at all. We came damn close to getting the ball back and there is no saying what happens if we do get the ball back. Plus we make one two point conversion than all we need is a fg from Tucker to put the game in OT. You're way off base here.

I am mixing in garbage and prevent time as a shorthand because typing "garbage time or when the defense is letting you convert 5-8 yards per play so long as you do not push it downfield" is too long to type 4 times a post. The Chiefs game I dismissed as Andrews being hurt, and maybe he still is, but that Hollywood connection has also gone very very cold. Even the short routes just do not seem to be there.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Chiefs and every other team don't score in garbage time, so ALL of their points count. However we have to take away all garbage time scores.

Some people need to understand what garbage time is.

Even the game at the end of the year vs the Chargers in the playoffs was not prevent defense. The Chargers never let up, but I'm sure you want to forget about those as well.