• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

For those who solely blame the defense...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Second .,. Stats focus to eval performance

Here’s the main point ... I don’t give a shit about these stats. Never have. Didn’t give a shit when people slighted Flacco over his lack of gaudy stats and don’t care about it for Lamar.

It’s about playing winning football. Offense made enough mistakes (most of them at the feet of players not named Lamar) to argue that there was no guarantee we get a win if the D played respectably.

However, the game the defense put out there was an EMBARRASSMENT. Anyone with one functioning eyeball could see that and only a fool who for some reason wants to poke at our QB would fail to acknowledge.

You want to discount stats for Lamar when we played Miami? Well you should discount stats put up by Baker and Chubb last week because our D played at Miami level of shit on Sunday.

If that continues we will lose more games than we win going forward. Yes draft capital has been expended but to expect a unit full of sophs and rooks to overcome that kind of performance by the defense is beyond stupid.
this. Let’s stop being contrarian just for the sake of it. The offense could’ve played better, sure, we coulda came out and did what we did vs Miami theoretically, but your defense shouldn’t count on you to play at that rate, if the defense gave up 40 POINTS AND 500 YARDS along with a back breaking 88 yard TD run on the very first snap after the offense gets us into a position to comeback and win, then you blame the goddamn defense.

It’s like the 4th and 12 or the Steelers game the year before, where people just HAVE to come out and say “well if the offense moved the ball better they wouldn’t have been in that position” but that’s just nonsense, that’s football, football is back and forth, if that’s how it always worked then the shit would be boring, games come down the wire because that’s just how it plays out. you can look at plays throughout the game and pass judgement, but when the opportunity presents itself late in the game, you have to capitalize, and the side of the ball that doesn’t capitalize in crunch time when the game is in reach, should get the blame. the game wasn’t a blowout until one specific thing happened, the defense gave them that back breaking run and it was a rout for the last ten minutes, the offense put the defense in a position to defend an 88 yard field to get the ball back and win with one drive, but instead they ran 88 yards on the FIRST PLAY...

If the defense stopped that run and THEN Lamar came out and threw a pick or fumbled or went 3 and out, then by all means trash the offense, but the offense, who could’ve played better, isn’t the one who lost the game for us, 500 yards and 40 points at home, get real.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
OMG this thread.

First ... garbage time ...

Someone needs to define what garbage time means. IMO it is when there is ZERO chance of overcoming a deficit. That is not the same as desperation mode and taking risks to get back in s game. Therefore there was absolutely no point vs KC that was garbage time as one stop on D gives us the ball back down one score. Maybe the Snead TD in CLE? One score in 4 games? Shit then it’s not worth quantifying.

Please ...

for sure the only real garbage time points we've scored was the snead 50 yarder - not that it doesnt count, just that its the only points we've scored on the year that didnt impact the game

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
OMG this thread.

First ... garbage time ...

Someone needs to define what garbage time means. IMO it is when there is ZERO chance of overcoming a deficit. That is not the same as desperation mode and taking risks to get back in s game. Therefore there was absolutely no point vs KC that was garbage time as one stop on D gives us the ball back down one score. Maybe the Snead TD in CLE? One score in 4 games? Shit then it’s not worth quantifying.

Please ...

Yeah I kinda wince when the term garbage time is used when there's still a realistic chance of winning. When its at 3 scores down with 5 min left and you do a drive that scores then it can be called garbage

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
This is more of what I was expecting out of the offense going into the year. O-line not as good as a lot of people seem to think and a lot of inexperience throughout the offense. Definitely some growing pains are to be expected. Thankfully the team bounced back enough to get a win but don't think it gets easier on them with Bengals and Seahawks. That is why the defense is going to have to step up if we want to do anything this year

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
This is more of what I was expecting out of the offense going into the year. O-line not as good as a lot of people seem to think and a lot of inexperience throughout the offense. Definitely some growing pains are to be expected. Thankfully the team bounced back enough to get a win but don't think it gets easier on them with Bengals and Seahawks. That is why the defense is going to have to step up if we want to do anything this year
There are no excuses for this bad passing offense. Growing pains young QB, we still have a bad pass attack. This offense specifically passing offense is not improving and we have added significant weapons invested heavily on offense while we lost many pieces on defense. On paper me personally I figured the D would take a slight step back and offense expected the revolutionary offense to take a step forward and become ac more consistent pass attack,hen when you already knew we ran the ball solid last year and are running great this year. We have certainly seen worse offensive lines over the years than this one, run blocking is great, teams are just blitzing Lamar like crazy and he hasn't learned to deal with pressure yet. We had "the number 1" offense going into this game right? Numbers dont lie right? They certainly seem to. We run the ball great, but can't develop any type of passing attack.

In a year where defense took a step back due to losing so much talent, I expect the offense to step up and do their job. The defense played solid today, and Humphreys fumble essentially won the game for us after Lamar's 54 QB rating 161 yards 3 int day. Ingram 2 YPC average. All because teams are taking the run away from us, pressuring Lamar and he snd Greg Roman have no answer.

I do agree and will always support Lamar for the next 3-4 yrs through his rookie contract, but at what point do we stop making excuses when we continue to fail at passing the ball.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Seahawks was a game I had them losing, but the Bengals were a win in my original prediction. Right now the only game I've been wrong on is the Cleveland game and boy was I wrong on that one.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
There are no excuses for this bad passing offense. Growing pains young QB, we still have a bad pass attack. This offense specifically passing offense is not improving and we have added significant weapons invested heavily on offense while we lost many pieces on defense. On paper me personally I figured the D would take a slight step back and offense expected the revolutionary offense to take a step forward and become ac more consistent pass attack,hen when you already knew we ran the ball solid last year and are running great this year. We have certainly seen worse offensive lines over the years than this one, run blocking is great, teams are just blitzing Lamar like crazy and he hasn't learned to deal with pressure yet. We had "the number 1" offense going into this game right? Numbers dont lie right? They certainly seem to. We run the ball great, but can't develop any type of passing attack.

In a year where defense took a step back due to losing so much talent, I expect the offense to step up and do their job. The defense played solid today, and Humphreys fumble essentially won the game for us after Lamar's 54 QB rating 161 yards 3 int day. Ingram 2 YPC average. All because teams are taking the run away from us, pressuring Lamar and he snd Greg Roman have no answer.

I do agree and will always support Lamar for the next 3-4 yrs through his rookie contract, but at what point do we stop making excuses when we continue to fail at passing the ball.

You do realize we have invested quite a bit on the defensive side and that they are a lot more experienced than the offense right? We have $88,101,476 invested in the defense vs $53,681,536 in the offense in terms of cap space(https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/positional/). You can talk about draft picks but we have quite a few (one we released just the other day) that have failed to develop for us on that side of the ball.

I mean two of our top 3 WRs are rookies(historically this position struggles early) and 2 of our top 3 TEs are second year players. Combine that with a second year quarterback in his first year with an actual system(not one devised over a bye week) and to say there aren't going to be struggles in the first few weeks is completely unrealistic. It takes time for a QB and his weapons to develop chemistry. Defenses have seen the new offense on film and have adjusted, now it is up to the offense to adjust themselves.

I am not going to say the guy has no room to improve because of course he does but I am at least seeing him make progress from last year and hopefully he continues to do so. I am not going to overreact to some bad games. Especially when Garoppolo threw 2 picks and fumbled twice against this same defense a couple weeks ago.

Unless the defense can step up(and not just against 3rd string QBs) then this will likely be a transitional year as the offense has their ups and downs and gets seasoned. Then next year we have actual cap space and more experience and the window actually opens a bit. As for making excuses, I want to see how he finishes out this year but I think he is our guy.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

At what point do we stop making excuses? Well the point in time is definitely NOT one week after you asked the exact same question.

You're still playing a rookie QB with limitations in the passing game.

So if you want my answer of when... its simple. 2020. That's when we can stop making excuses.

In 2020, you'll have a full year of the same core group of receivers/TEs out there, and you won't be starting a rookie QB. And in 2020, your defense will likely take even another step back, as you face significant turnover again.