• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Week 8 Discussion (BYE Week Thread)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the BYE week as the Ravens sit 5-2 and we get to scout the New England Patriots as the 2018 Draft Quarterback tour of the Patriots continues with Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns. The Raiders & Texans face off in a key AFC game with potential AFC Wild Card implications, the red hot Panthers travel to San Fran to face the undefeated 49ers in a key NFC matchup. The Bengals travel to London to face the Rams and the Steelers get a second consecutive BYE with the tanking Dolphins.

Redskins @ Vikings:
Tonight the Deadskins travel to Minnesota to take on the 5-2 Minnesota Vikings as we play The Kirk Cousins Bowl, or the Case Keenum Bowl. The last time these two teams met was back in 2017 where Cousins was the starter in Washington, and Keenum was the starter for the Vikings. Minnesota will look to improve to 6-2 on the year without star WR Adam Thielen in the lineup.

Seahawks @ Falcons: Nothing cures a loss like rebounding against the lowly Atlanta Falcons, just ask the Rams. Just when things couldn't get worse for Atlanta, Matt Ryan suffered an ankle injury spreading around to Quarterbacks like the flu. Looks like Matt Schaub will get the start for this one as the Seahawks look to take the W on Sunday, maybe they can take Dan Quinn back to Seattle too.

Eagles @ Bills: Doug Pederson should probably not guarantee anymore victories for the Eagles this season, unless your actually going to try to win the game. Dallas looked good again in the eyes of the national media trashing on the worst secondary in the NFL. Maybe Jalen Ramsey was worth all those picks? Buffalo continues their stellar start with a defense ready to pounce on the Eagles with Josh Allen ready to pick apart the sad secondary of the Eagles. What's the over/under on how many tables will be broken during the Pregame Tailgate between both Eagles fans and Bills fans?

Chargers @ Bears: When you thought it couldn't get any worse for the Chargers, they lost to the Ryan Tannehill led Titans in his first game after replacing Marcus Mariota. What's next, losing to Mitchell Trubisky? That's a possibility if they continue to play the way they are. Perhaps time to let Rivers go win a Super Bowl he deserves and start the rebuild process with a new QB. The rest of the NFC North has taken leaps while the Bears have taken several steps back, and perhaps in need of a new QB who will win them games.

Giants @ Lions: I get the Patriot way is moving on from one player and not missing a beat with the next player but your not Bill Belichick, got it Patricia? Starting Safety Quandre Diggs is now in Atlanta, and Darius Slay made it known to the public that he wasn't happy about it. Giants meanwhile look to bounce back after letting Chase Edmunds run wild all over them last week and should get a boost in the passing game with Diggs now gone which may lead to another shootout that Stafford has to be forced into. Perhaps Stafford may rethink his stance on not wanting out of Detroit?

Bucs @ Titans: This game would be interesting if both Jameis and Marcus lived up to their potential, instead Marcus was benched for Ryan Tannehill and reduced to playing Jameis Winston on the Titans' scout team. Jameis continues to prove that not even Bruce Arians can fix him as both teams look to steer their season in the right direction. Can Ryan Tannehill once again lead the Titans to victory and perhaps shaking up the AFC Wild Card picture?

Broncos @ Colts: John Elway should try the new hip trend in the NFL these days, the Backup Quarterback. Yeah he may be sacked as much as Joe Flacco behind the worst offensive line in the league but I hear they actually win games. When Andrew Luck abruptly announced his retirement a week before the season, nobody gave the Colts a chance as everyone remembered 2017. In a quarterback driven league, these injuries to starters and the Colts success remind us that you can survive losing your starter if the team is good enough to withstand it.

Bengals @ Rams: The NFL says hello to London once again this week as the Rams play "host" to the winless Cincinnati Bengals. This may be what the Rams needed coming off back to back divisional losses to the Seahawks & 49ers, to beat up on some bad teams. Zac Taylor continues to hunt for his first career win as a Head Coach in the NFL and could he get it overseas against Sean McVay and the Rams?

Cardinals @ Saints: The Saints are another team thriving with a backup QB, as Teddy Bridgewater remains undefeated as the starting QB in New Orleans. Sean Payton refused to name the starting QB against the Cardinals on Sunday, and guess we'll see if Payton goes back to the Hall of Fame QB or sticks with the hot hand. Arizona is showing potential but still has a long way to go. Maybe next time, let people know about David Johnson not playing so you don't screw over Fantasy players?

Jets @ Jaguars: Whatever Sam Darnold did before the Dallas game, he should stick to it as the Jets may have a chance to win against the Jags. The only ghost Sam Darnold may see on Sunday is the ghost of Uncle Rico in the form of Gardner Minshew, the sixth round rookie who has taken the league by storm after replacing Nick Foles. A dreaded Jets defense missing key players will most likely doom them to Minshew and company. Maybe CJ Mosley play through his groin injury for at least 2 more games, three games tops?

Panthers @ 49ers: The Panthers return to Santa Clara where they lost Super Bowl 50 to the Denver Broncos as they take on the undefeated San Francisco 49ers. Much like other backups, Kyle Allen has continued to win games while Cam Newton rehabs. Does the 49ers defense have a game plan to stop Christian McCaffery and slow down the momentum Carolina has at the moment? Will Jimmy G step up and play better than he did against the Redskins last week?

Browns @ Patriots: Baker Mayfield needs to stop worrying about the officials and focus on how to find a weakness in a defense that is being compared to the likes of the 2000 Ravens and 1985 Bears. Very fitting that Bill Belichick can get his 300th career coaching win against the team he once coached for as he remains the only Browns coach to get a victory over the Pats in Foxboro, 27 years ago. It all seems to be imploding for the Browns who had so much hype heading into the season, perhaps another coaching change is on the horizon?

Raiders @ Texans: The Raiders have the biggest opportunity ahead of them with Patrick Mahomes being out. They can capitalize and keep the AFC West race close.... for a few weeks. Raiders stunned the Colts on the road earlier in the season and look to do the same to Houston who looks to rebound following the loss to the Colts. Both teams need the win to stay alive in the division race, but who wants it more?

Packers @ Chiefs: The Football gods have deprived us of a Quarterback duel for the ages, Aaron Rodgers, the grizzled veteran looking for another Lombardi and the young upstart in Patrick Mahomes who has taken over the league. Mahomes' unfortunately caught the ankle sprain virus going around to quarterbacks and we'll get Matt Moore vs Aaron Rodgers instead. With the Chiefs missing several key players, the Packers will get a walk over win on Sunday Night as the Chiefs pray for a miracle Mahomes makes it back sooner than later.

Dolphins @ Steelers: How nice of the NFL to give the Steelers two bye weeks in a row as Mason Rudolph returns under center. If recent games are any indication, Dolphins will make us think an upset will happen then give it all away in the second half. Or is this the week Ryan Fitzpatrick starts winning and spoiling the tank season?

Last edited:

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Who should we root for Browns or Pats? Personally, I hope they both beat the hell out of each other and the game just ends in a 0-0 tie.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Who should we root for Browns or Pats? Personally, I hope they both beat the hell out of each other and the game just ends in a 0-0 tie.
I'm rooting for the Pats, due to the Browns having a much easier schedule the 2nd half of the season.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
The Pats make the playoffs regardless of the outcome of this game. The Browns, on the other hand, need a win to keep up with us. I'm going with the Pats

Tank

Hall of Famer
This is the most desired outcome. lol

I hate to say it but stating the obvious patsies win helps us, and I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
howabout no Thursday Night games, except for the opening game and Thanksgiving

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Mon night also and just having one showcase game but at least Mon hooks to the weekend unlike Thursday. Sometimes I wish I was a westcoaster so I can catch these evening games but you know there's a thing called work.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Go Pats. *punches self in face*

I want us to hand them their first L.

This is spot on and the Browns need as much foot to the face as possible. Lets correct the wrong when Rex called that damn timeout.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't mind getting rid of Mon night also and just having one showcase game but at least Mon hooks to the weekend unlike Thursday. Sometimes I wish I was a westcoaster so I can catch these evening games but you know there's a thing called work.
I remember being out on a business trip and walking around outside at around 5:15 (PST) or so and wanting the catch the game and thinking I had plenty of time. Anyway, I didn't miss the game, but had to get into high gear.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I remember being out on a business trip and walking around outside at around 5:15 (PST) or so and wanting the catch the game and thinking I had plenty of time. Anyway, I didn't miss the game, but had to get into high gear.

That's happened to me before when I go to Wisconsin and that's only an hour difference lol.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Just a practice this week for the Packers

upload_2019-10-26_7-43-17.png