• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Your WR list is very interesting. I am surprised you have Mims at 2. Aren’t you concerned about his route running considering his limited route tree at Baylor?

not at all - ive seen enough routes that he wont be limited in the NFL - even most nfl receivers dont run what you would regard as a full route tree and mims's route tree is pretty various - add onto that the clear improvement even from the end of the season to the senior bowl (and then even the senior bowl to the combine etc.) you can look at his releases and route nuance each year of his career and see a marked and distinct improvement every year and we're basically seeing the same thing this offseason

he's got a great catch radius, brilliant hands, high end speed and pretty amazing short area suddenness for someone his size - add to that the fact that he's physical at the snap, through the route and all the way through the catch point and you've already got the make-up of someone who's going to be successful

now add onto that the fact that he might be the best blocker at receiver ive seen come out since i started scouting receivers (circa 2014) and you've got a recipe for a receiver that will see the field early and often

by all accounts he aced the combine interviews too

i genuinely think people are too low on him - ive wanted to continue putting him higher and higher on my board each time i readjust but never felt like i could break that top 3 group but i honestly think he's a better prospect than maybe every receiver in this class except lamb

i have 2 things id like to see mims improve at - 1) he gives up his chest a little too much vs press sometimes - partly i think he backs himself to just run through the contact but nfl corners will be stronger and more accurate with their punches - he's clearly already got better at that since the end of the season but continued development is required 2) he sometimes telegraphs what he's doing with his route just before his break which gives the corner a chance to break early but that's a nuance that is definitely improvable and especially as he has the athletic traits to make it work at least to begin

but you could legitimately say he's up at the top of the class in multiple aspects - hands, catch radius, ball tracking, playing through contact, blocking

you could make an argument he's the best in the class at all those categories and then add in all the athletic elements

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
not at all - ive seen enough routes that he wont be limited in the NFL - even most nfl receivers dont run what you would regard as a full route tree and mims's route tree is pretty various - add onto that the clear improvement even from the end of the season to the senior bowl (and then even the senior bowl to the combine etc.) you can look at his releases and route nuance each year of his career and see a marked and distinct improvement every year and we're basically seeing the same thing this offseason

he got a great catch radius, brilliant hands, high end speed and pretty amazing short area suddenness for someone his size - add to that the fact that he's physical at the snap, through the route and all the way through the catch point and you've already got the make-up of someone who's going to be successful

now add onto that the fact that he might be the best blocker at receiver ive seen come out since i started scouting receivers (circa 2014) and you've got a recipe for a receiver that will see the field early and often

by all accounts he aced the combine interviews too

i genuinely think people are too low on him - ive wanted to continue putting him higher and higher on my board each time i readjust but never felt like i could break that top 3 group but i honestly think he's a better prospect than maybe every receiver in this class except lamb

i have 2 things id like to see mims improve at - 1) he gives up his chest a little too much vs press sometimes - partly i think he backs himself to just run through the contact but nfl corners will be stronger and more accurate with their punches - he's clearly already got better at that since the end of the season but continued development is required 2) he sometimes telegraphs what he's doing with his route just before his break which gives the corner a chance to break early but that's a nuance that is definitely improvable and especially as he has the athletic traits to make it work at least to begin

but you could legitimately say he's up at the top of the class in multiple aspects - hands, catch radius, ball tracking, playing through contact, blocking

you could make an argument he's the best in the class at all those categories and then add in all the athletic elements
You certainly have watched more tape than I have. I have only watched the Iowa State,Texas and Oklahoma games. His physicality is impressive. He bullies DBs even though he will push off at times. You are correct about his blocking, not only is he good at it but he seems to enjoy it.

I do not see him being a consistently good route runner. He tended to round off his breaks too often but was
still able to make a contested catch. I am not sure how that will play in the NFL. Watching his tape as well as
that of CeeDee Lamb it seems the DB play in the Big 12 is not very good.

Mims is a lot faster than he looks, his long stride is deceptive. He does a good job of taking advantage of
his strength. He is a beast in the red zone. I just question if his route running will get him open in the NFL.

I am curious what sources say he aced the combine interviews. I would think any NFL team would be very
reluctant to share their true thoughts on a prospect.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Here's my receivers with a first round grade. I'm prepared to be roasted.

1) Lamb
2) Ruggs
3) Justin Jefferson
4) Jeudy
5) Higgins
6) Mims

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Here's my receivers with a first round grade. I'm prepared to be roasted.

1) Lamb
2) Ruggs
3) Justin Jefferson
4) Jeudy
5) Higgins
6) Mims

replace higgins with reagor and aiyuk and shuffle the order around

right now i've got 1st round grades on:

1) Lamb
2) Mims
3) Jeudy
4) Ruggs
5) Jefferson
6) Reagor
7) Aiyuk

higgins is my WR 9 which tbf would put him 36th on my board behind kj hamler at 34

EDIT: thought i'd add that mims and jeudy are literally stacked on top of each other on the board - basically no separation in grade

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its looking like the likely impact WR lot will be pretty well scavenged by the end of round two.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
i agree - the run on WRs is gonna start in the top 10 and isnt going to stop
I think it will be pretty well dry by the time of our first 2nd round selection. Unless you like guys Pittman/Claypool(neither of these two are of interest to me)we'd be better off waiting at that point.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im definitely of a minority opinion but a find this WR class way over hyped. Ive tried to talk myself into the hype and see what I am missing but to me its mostly hype

The more I look at the more i think we that we would have to take a WR with our first pick. Maybe trade down a few spots and then select a WR. The big 3 (Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy) will be gone before we pick, but guys like Denzel Mims and Jalen Raegor are getting a lot of hype. A can’t see KJ Hamler (even with his drop issues) or Aiyuk falling to us in the second round and after that the receiver position in my opinion lacks the game breaking ability. I can’t even call Shenault a receiver, he’s so raw and played multiple positions and I’d be worried about his injury issues.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it will be pretty well dry by the time of our first 2nd round selection. Unless you like guys Pittman/Claypool(neither of these two are of interest to me)we'd be better off waiting at that point.

i actually don't mind Pittman, but i like a lot of wrs better than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The more I look at the more i think we that we would have to take a WR with our first pick. Maybe trade down a few spots and then select a WR. The big 3 (Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy) will be home before we pick, but guys like Denzel Mims and Jalen Raegor are getting a lot of hype. A can’t see KJ Hamler (even with his drop issues) or Aiyuk falling to us in the second round and after that the receiver position in my opinion lacks the game breaking ability. I can’t even call Shenault a receiver, he’s so raw and played multiple position and I’d be worried about his injury issues.
Shit i wouldnt be surprised if packers jumped ahead of us to take a wr

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I wouldnt mind picking Van jefferson neither.. watch some of his type last night and he has some decent routes. Doesnt look as fast but his routes look kinda savy

rossihunter2

Staff Member

idk that the well will be dry but you'd certainly be looking at prospects with clear flaws at that point at WR but i also think that after the top 9 guys you dont see a huge amount of difference talent-wise between receiver 10 and receiver 20 which should take you through to the 3rd round

if we dont get someone in round 1 i think you're right that we might not have one we want in round 2 - but i think there's definitely likely to be one we like in round 3

ive got pittman as WR 15 and a 3rd round grade - interestingly he's also number 92 on my big board
ive got chase claypool as WR 20 and a 4th round grade - he's at 116 on the board

i like pittman a lot more than claypool - im glad claypool blew up the combine (as long as we dont take him) because it will hopefully push someone better down to us at some point

but to maybe to support your initial point

my top 9 WRs all are in the top 36 players on the board, WR 10 (AGG) is at 61 on the board so never be BPA for me even at our later 2nd round pick
but 10-18 all occur between 61 and 106 on the board

so i see 2 distinct clusters of talent at WR even in the first 2 days of the draft

that 10-18 contains AGG, Shenault, Bowden, DPJ, Gabriel Davis, Pittman, Tyler Johnson, Duvernay, Bryan Edwards with Edwards at 106 and the last 3rd round graded player on my board at any position (complete coincidence that there's 106 picks in the first 2 days of the draft this year)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im definitely of a minority opinion but a find this WR class way over hyped. Ive tried to talk myself into the hype and see what I am missing but to me its mostly hype

i think there's a lot of guys that the media love that i think are borderline undraftable but it still looks to me like it's clearly the deepest and top heavy WR draft since 2014 at least (and probably better than that)

but there's a lot of touted guys who are not going to be active on gamedays if they even make the roster in the first place - some of these big guys who will not be playing special teams and dont show enough on tape to make me think they will separate enough in the NFL to be good pros

i think after the 4th round there's a whole lot of nothing at WR - lots of guys who are either big guys who are slow and unagile, fast guys who've got basically no production and some small school guys who are incomplete projections

i personally think most of those big guys are basically undraftable and those fast guys are going to have to prove themselves on special teams

i've got 31 draftable receivers right now - 18 are day 2 or better grades - there's not many guys im interested in on day 3 - and certainly not many im interested after round 4 (grades-wise - if a better player falls to the 5th round then id happily still take them)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wouldnt mind picking Van jefferson neither.. watch some of his type last night and he has some decent routes. Doesnt look as fast but his routes look kinda savy

i like him - he's got the most savvy as a route runner and has the largest arsenal of releases ive seen in a draft prospect (maybe ever...) but that lack of top end speed - and the fact he didnt have the opportunity to prove his speed at the combine because of injury - makes it hard to love him for me on day 2 albeit i would not be mad at all if we drafted him in the 3rd round - i think he's going to contribute on a team for years but not sure how effective he'll be as an actual weapon

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
replace higgins with reagor and aiyuk and shuffle the order around

right now i've got 1st round grades on:

1) Lamb
2) Mims
3) Jeudy
4) Ruggs
5) Jefferson
6) Reagor
7) Aiyuk

higgins is my WR 9 which tbf would put him 36th on my board behind kj hamler at 34

EDIT: thought i'd add that mims and jeudy are literally stacked on top of each other on the board - basically no separation in grade

You could totally be right and I certainly wouldn't fight you on any of that. For me, something tells me that Higgins is more likely to boom than bust. Also I have second round grades on Hamler, Van Reagor, Ayiuk, and Van Jefferson in that order. I personally have a third round grade on Shenault, but I feel like he goes in the first for some reason.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i like him - he's got the most savvy as a route runner and has the largest arsenal of releases ive seen in a draft prospect (maybe ever...) but that lack of top end speed - and the fact he didnt have the opportunity to prove his speed at the combine because of injury - makes it hard to love him for me on day 2 albeit i would not be mad at all if we drafted him in the 3rd round - i think he's going to contribute on a team for years but not sure how effective he'll be as an actual weapon
I def wouldnt be mad.. i kinda want him now lol. 3rd or 4th rnd id be fine with that. I think we come out if this draft with 2 wrs and atleast one TE. How bad is his injury?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I def wouldnt be mad.. i kinda want him now lol. 3rd or 4th rnd id be fine with that. I think we come out if this draft with 2 wrs and atleast one TE. How bad is his injury?

not bad at all - but it was only discovered at the combine and required surgery which stopped him from participating in any drills or anything - but from what i remember it was only supposed to keep him out around a month or two

im honestly not even sure we draft a TE or if we do im expecting it to be with the 5th or 7th round pick