• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Okay so we think alike. That's reassuring. I first saw him pegged as a late round Guy and I just couldn't see that when I saw the tape. He's at least round 4 to me.

when i first saw him i saw kindle vildor kind of handle him which put me off but i went back to the tape and i see a 3rd rounder - he was kind of stuck in mims shadow a bit at the senior bowl because they arent dissimilar in stature and playstyle but AGG is clearly a decent prospect

i think he goes round 4 but i have him rated round 3

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i dont like comps but while watching isaiah coulter, diontae johnson just popped up into my brain - they look similar in the way they move and their build - it's intermittent but when coulter flashes he looks like diontae johnson when he flashes albeit it was more frequent on diontae's tape

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m starting to fall back in love with Jalen Reagor. Crazy how his hype died down after the combine. People thought he would be faster.. he packed on weight and still ran a 4.47.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im expecting 6 tbh - the styles of receivers are so different that teams will be have them in different orders based on scheme, roster etc. that enough of them will be rated high on boards that more will go than just the top 5 guys i think

i think the worry is that if we don't get one in the first round, there probably wont be an obvious one to take in the second round and we may find ourselves waiting until the 3rd round where there are talented guys with potential but also there's athletic flaws or incredible rawness in those guys
unless we end up trading up in the 2nd round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Albert breer’s column this morning apparently talking about how WRs might drop further than expected because “none are Julio Jones” and because teams have had recent sustained success drafting wrs in the 2nd round

Could mean someone unexpected drops

Just me here keeping the jeudy dream alive

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Interesting

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Interesting

ive seen different versions of this stat with KJ hamler at nearly 18% or something - not sure how we're measuring drops

it's an issue because clearly the high drop rate is a potential issue - but it just doesnt show up on film at all

the drop rate i saw had mims at a similar rate to jeudy for what its worth and on the other side he makes absurd catches on the regular

this isnt a perriman where he has bad catching technique and drops littered all over his tape - Mims has good technique and great hands - i find it really hard to reconcile those drops existing lol

EDIT: i think it's PFF's catch rate i saw and that was referring to 2018-19 i think - and i think they also have different definitions of drop

this stat you posted seems to not really factor in expected catch rate into the calculation at all

EDIT 2: found how they judge contested catches:

We try to stay as consistent as possible. Each play gets looked at over 4-5 different times by different people. If we determine that the defender was the main cause of a pass being incomplete and they were able to prevent a catch being made, we will give them credit with a pass defensed and no drop for the receiver. If we determine that a receiver was the primary cause for a ball that falls incomplete on a pass that was catch-able where the receiver was in position to make the catch, the ball hits any part of his body, or the ball goes through his hands, we will give them a drop.

to me that suggests that any receivers who are consistently being put in contested catch situations for whatever reason are going to end up dinged more than those players who rarely get put in those situations...

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
for context this may well be why Mims rates higher than you'd think on drop rates:

he still has a few too many drops on easy slants and he notably had a dropped td against texas but ultimately he's got great hands and the drops dont really show up as an "issue" on his tape

his drops are less of an issue than they were for DK Metcalf - and stylistically they're not dissimilar prospects - i think Mims is the better prospect

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Albert breer’s column this morning apparently talking about how WRs might drop further than expected because “none are Julio Jones” and because teams have had recent sustained success drafting wrs in the 2nd round

Could mean someone unexpected drops

Just me here keeping the jeudy dream alive
"None are Julio Jones." LMAOOO at these high standards. No one is Julio though.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
that's why i dont agree with it but if it means WRs fall to us then im happy about it lol
Yeah imagine listening to a war room before D-Hop got drafted.

Exec 1: "I think we should consider him with our first round pick."
Exec 2: "Yeaaahhh, but he ain't Julio though so miss me with that shit."

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah imagine listening to a war room before D-Hop got drafted.

Exec 1: "I think we should consider him with our first round pick."
Exec 2: "Yeaaahhh, but he ain't Julio though so miss me with that shit."

tbf it feels to me like the classic feed the media insiders some bullshit in the 14 days before the draft to try and spread misinformation

but its just starting a bit earlier than normal because everyone's bored lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
back to the bryan edwards tape and you forget why you like some guys when you havent watched them in a while - he's got power, quickness, great hands, physicality and does enough with his route running - really got forgotten about because of his pre-combine injury
Really like Edwards, I think he’s gonna go a lot higher than he’s being projected right now, he’s got 2nd round tape at worst

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
so EDC said there are 25 WRs on the Ravens board this year...

any guesses on who makes it vs who doesnt make it onto their board?

given that its possible 40 WRs get drafted in 2020 this could be a bit tricky lol
Guys I’m allowed to have an opinion on, in order of how I think the ravens could rank them:
Jeudy
Lamb
Ruggs
Mims
Jefferson
Raegor
Claypool
Higgins
Hamler
Peoples-jones
Edwards
Aiyuk
Shenault
Hill
Jefferson
Bowden?
Quartney Davis
Pittman
Tyler Johnson
Duvernay
Isaiah hodgins

something along those lines feels like a ravens type of wr board based on absolutely nothing, and those are all the wrs I have watched enough of to have an opinion on

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Guys I’m allowed to have an opinion on, in order of how I think the ravens could rank them:
Jeudy
Lamb
Ruggs
Mims
Jefferson
Raegor
Claypool
Higgins
Hamler
Peoples-jones
Edwards
Aiyuk
Shenault
Hill
Jefferson
Bowden?
Quartney Davis
Pittman
Tyler Johnson
Duvernay
Isaiah hodgins

something along those lines feels like a ravens type of wr board based on absolutely nothing, and those are all the wrs I have watched enough of to have an opinion on

Can I ask why most people are so high on Reagor? For some odd reason, he just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He isn't big, but he doesn't really play particularly fast for my eyes. Very limited route tree right? I don't know. He just wouldn't be high on my board.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can I ask why most people are so high on Reagor? For some odd reason, he just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He isn't big, but he doesn't really play particularly fast for my eyes. Very limited route tree right? I don't know. He just wouldn't be high on my board.
I disagree that he doesn’t play fast, his long speed is adequate on tape if not very good, but where he separates himself is how explosive he is with his motions, the way he jukes and shifts and cuts is special, mecole hardman like in that regard, but he also can climb the ladder and high point some balls with great verticals