• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Outside Runs and The Weather

Francois Boulianne

Practice Squad
Just got back from Baltimore after attending the game. It was the most miserable weather I've ever had to endure in viewing a sporting event. But the game and more importantly the win made it (and the 8 hour drive that immediately followed) all worth it.
And this is the game I chose to fly from Canada to see. Now I am stuck for the night at the Washignton airport because my flight has been canceled but I could not be happier. I still see Tucker's kick slowly slice through the rain and make it through the posts. And the Ravens ending up being first seed for the first time as a result.

That's what happens when you fill the locker room with selfish players and expect them to function as a proper team. If we look at the best teams in the league right now they have one thing in common, unselfishness.

That's what happens when you hire a terrible coach

And this is the game I chose to fly from Canada to see. Now I am stuck for the night at the Washignton airport because my flight has been canceled but I could not be happier. I still see Tucker's kick slowly slice through the rain and make it through the posts. And the Ravens ending up being first seed for the first time as a result.
It was a thing of beauty. I rarely get nervous for Tucker kicks but I was on this one because of how long a kick it was and how awful the weather was. Nervous about not just the kick, but the whole operation: snap, hold and kick. They were all perfect.

I had a sense, because of how nasty it was and how the game was going, that it might come down to the kick game. And when that is the case, I always like our chances. Gould had a similar length kick to close the 1st half and the thing looked like a high school kicker kicked it. Tucker's looked like a kick made on a bright sunny day.

And yeah it was a nice way to pass the time on the drive home listening to the Pats loose so that we control our own destiny to the 1 seed.

Hope you get back safely

That's what happens when you fill the locker room with selfish players and expect them to function as a proper team. If we look at the best teams in the league right now they have one thing in common, unselfishness.
Absolutely ... Browns are a collection of look-at-me guys. All with the necessary talent, but this is a team game. Zero team chemistry, undisciplined and cancerous. To think they were -120 to win the division and we were +200. Odds makers set these lines as if these teams are playing fantasy football - but the Ravens are playing real, team football.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JoeyFlex5 you asked during the gameday thread what we could do to try and regain some edge contain in the running game - what better options we might have than ferguson when he's struggling...

well part of our defensive improvement after half time seems to have been to limit ferguson's snaps in obvious rushing situations and replace him with jihad ward

who is becoming a more and more important part of our defence every week

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 you asked during the gameday thread what we could do to try and regain some edge contain in the running game - what better options we might have than ferguson when he's struggling...

well part of our defensive improvement after half time seems to have been to limit ferguson's snaps in obvious rushing situations and replace him with jihad ward

That’s it... make me a coach ffs. Literally suggested this move lol.

Did Judon make improvements? Because at first glance when watching in real time, his failures in edge contain were GLARING, I saw too many snaps where he’s treating a stretch zone run like a pass rush snap and the rb just runs past his back.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely ... Browns are a collection of look-at-me guys. All with the necessary talent, but this is a team game. Zero team chemistry, undisciplined and cancerous. To think they were -120 to win the division and we were +200. Odds makers set these lines as if these teams are playing fantasy football - but the Ravens are playing real, team football.

It pains me to see ODB out there with them. The fact that Baker can't find him is telling. He is forcing throws to Landry

It is insane how many cast-away players have come on to this team and are contributing. Fort, Bynes, Ward, Pico ... then having an undrafted rookie like Mekari being the "next man up" as well as a player like Clark - who while he has been a good role player, is now a firm starter.

Everything is just working. We absolutely have the Midas touch right now.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It is insane how many cast-away players have come on to this team and are contributing. Fort, Bynes, Ward, Pico ... then having an undrafted rookie like Mekari being the "next man up" as well as a player like Clark - who while he has been a good role player, is now a firm starter.

Old school players for old school football.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mekari has looked great against two of the toughest fronts in football. He might actually be better than Skura. at 22 in such a demanding position he's been incredibly good TBH

Mekari has looked great against two of the toughest fronts in football. He might actually be better than Skura. at 22 in such a demanding position he's been incredibly good TBH
Finding an undrafted guy who can fill a starter role is huge from a cap standpoint. Signed for peanuts through 2021 and then RFA in 2022 - where, if he continues to be starter worthy, will cost only a 2nd round tender (which is still a low cost for a starting player).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Jihad ward was no surprise to me, I only knew of bynes as the guy making the SB sending tackle on kick return, and knew nothing of fort, but ward always had the profile to become a solid player and I was low key hype when we signed him, I really felt like he could develop here

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jihad ward was no surprise to me, I only knew of bynes as the guy making the SB sending tackle on kick return, and knew nothing of fort, but ward always had the profile to become a solid player and I was low key hype when we signed him, I really felt like he could develop here

i was more worried about ward than you then - i remembered his draft pedigree and remembered that he was a 2nd round pick - but i also remembered that i felt like he was a reach who got picked early because of athletic traits and then never stuck on a team for a reason

his emergence as a solid rotational player for us has been a pleasant surprise

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Old school players for old school football.
All of which understand their roles. To me, it speaks of the culture that's set by our coaching staff. @allblackraven , I know we've had our criticisms of Harbs, but honestly, he deserves a lot of credit as does Wink and even EDC for getting these guys in the first place.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
All of which understand their roles. To me, it speaks of the culture that's set by our coaching staff. @allblackraven , I know we've had our criticisms of Harbs, but honestly, he deserves a lot of credit as does Wink and even EDC for getting these guys in the first place.
Yeah. I admitted already few weeks back.
Harbs is killing it this year but it all started when he refused to put Flacco in vs Chargers. @balfan23 and I discussed this a bit and figured 4th&2 @Seattle changed everything.

Come to think of it, sticking with Lamar in a chargers playoff game might be the single most important decision Harbaugh made in his career. And probably Lamar's career as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i was more worried about ward than you then - i remembered his draft pedigree and remembered that he was a 2nd round pick - but i also remembered that i felt like he was a reach who got picked early because of athletic traits and then never stuck on a team for a reason

his emergence as a solid rotational player for us has been a pleasant surprise
When I played the forum mock 2 years back I traded for him lol. I thought he was a reach too but always felt he belonged somewhere on day 2, and thought he could’ve been a really solid player with the right team. Didn’t think that team was us though...

I figured he had some character concerns or something and that’s why he wasn’t doing anything in the league

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
our defense got their butts kicked. Guys not able to get off blocks, Kittle destroying Peanut and Judon. Williams not getting out in front or even reading the line that way and getting absolutely removed from the play. our secondary getting blocked by WR's and unable to get off. Big gaping holes all game it seems to me. The plays where we are NOT absolutely getting our butts kicked up and down the line are few and far between.
I can't believe we won. Defense is in disarray throughout

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
our defense got their butts kicked. Guys not able to get off blocks, Kittle destroying Peanut and Judon. Williams not getting out in front or even reading the line that way and getting absolutely removed from the play. our secondary getting blocked by WR's and unable to get off. Big gaping holes all game it seems to me. The plays where we are NOT absolutely getting our butts kicked up and down the line are few and far between.
It's been pretty rough.
Still, only 17 points.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Even in the 2nd half? Yards in both passing and rushing seemed to dry up considerably for the 9ers after halftime... or do you think that it was just lucky?