• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Outside Runs and The Weather

rossihunter2

Staff Member
When I played the forum mock 2 years back I traded for him lol. I thought he was a reach too but always felt he belonged somewhere on day 2, and thought he could’ve been a really solid player with the right team. Didn’t think that team was us though...

I figured he had some character concerns or something and that’s why he wasn’t doing anything in the league

Think it was mostly injuries but not sure why the colts decided they were done with him... but they basically swapped Ward for Trevon Coley (who’d been on our practice squad)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even in the 2nd half? Yards in both passing and rushing seemed to dry up considerably for the 9ers after halftime... or do you think that it was just lucky?
It was pretty shocking. Mostert still managed 52 yards on nine carries in the third quarter. Some of their lesser runs were a QB scramble for 1 yard, a Coleman no gain, Little lost three yards.

Most run stops are Humphrey, Clark and Thomas. Dline and LB's got handled. I hope there's a fix. I'm finding it hard to watch.

Yeah. I admitted already few weeks back.
Harbs is killing it this year but it all started when he refused to put Flacco in vs Chargers. @balfan23 and I discussed this a bit and figured 4th&2 @Seattle changed everything.

Come to think of it, sticking with Lamar in a chargers playoff game might be the single most important decision Harbaugh made in his career. And probably Lamar's career as well.
That is a really good take how critical it was for Harbaugh to stick with Lamar in that Chargers playoff game. That sort of thing that helped cement the relationship between Coach and QB and then throughout the team for which Ingram has coined the term “Big Trusss. “

It was pretty shocking. Mostert still managed 52 yards on nine carries in the third quarter. Some of their lesser runs were a QB scramble for 1 yard, a Coleman no gain, Little lost three yards.

Most run stops are Humphrey, Clark and Thomas. Dline and LB's got handled. I hope there's a fix. I'm finding it hard to watch.
There was some uncharacteristic missed tackles that led to big yards but there were definitely times when you could see the runner had a lot of room on the edge.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That is a really good take how critical it was for Harbaugh to stick with Lamar in that Chargers playoff game. That sort of thing that helped cement the relationship between Coach and QB and then throughout the team for which Ingram has coined the term “Big Trusss. “
I imagine Lamar worked so well in the offseason because, in part, of that decision, too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It is insane how many cast-away players have come on to this team and are contributing. Fort, Bynes, Ward, Pico ... then having an undrafted rookie like Mekari being the "next man up" as well as a player like Clark - who while he has been a good role player, is now a firm starter.

Everything is just working. We absolutely have the Midas touch right now.
and a big reason why we need to keep Wink

rossihunter2

Staff Member

my guess then is that it completely hinges on those 2 edge defenders whoever they are - judon had a pretty awful game in the running game by his standards - repeatedly got manhandled by kittle (who tbf is an absolute beast) and ferguson got lost in his edge setting also - the hope has to be that judon's game was an aberration and that ferguson will continue to improve so as not to be a liability

but we've shown a real weakness all year to those outside runs if we cant win the edge consistently

goes back to how important finding an edge (or 2) in the offseason will be to the quality of this defence next year and beyond

pernell mcphee going down was a huge loss

our defense got their butts kicked. Guys not able to get off blocks, Kittle destroying Peanut and Judon. Williams not getting out in front or even reading the line that way and getting absolutely removed from the play. our secondary getting blocked by WR's and unable to get off. Big gaping holes all game it seems to me. The plays where we are NOT absolutely getting our butts kicked up and down the line are few and far between.
I can't believe we won. Defense is in disarray throughout
You guys played fine on defense. They gave up lots of rushing yards but held them to 165 yards passing.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
my guess then is that it completely hinges on those 2 edge defenders whoever they are - judon had a pretty awful game in the running game by his standards - repeatedly got manhandled by kittle (who tbf is an absolute beast) and ferguson got lost in his edge setting also - the hope has to be that judon's game was an aberration and that ferguson will continue to improve so as not to be a liability

but we've shown a real weakness all year to those outside runs if we cant win the edge consistently

goes back to how important finding an edge (or 2) in the offseason will be to the quality of this defence next year and beyond

Great point on McPhee. really could use him in the rotation getting after the QB as well.
I just put up a vid of 49ers 4th quarter runs. I think how we used Judon on the 3rd play (think its the third) is what we'll employ partially to help counter outside runs should we meet them again. We line Judon ( could also use Bowser, Peanut) standing inside at LOS and peel that defender in pursuit of the back as soon as he moves....effectively a run spy racing to the edge and close enough at the line to avoid guys coming off combination

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Great point on McPhee. really could use him in the rotation getting after the QB as well.
I just put up a vid of 49ers 4th quarter runs. I think how we used Judon on the 3rd play (think its the third) is what we'll employ partially to help counter outside runs should we meet them again. We line Judon ( could also use Bowser, Peanut) standing inside at LOS and peel that defender in pursuit of the back as soon as he moves....effectively a run spy racing to the edge and close enough at the line to avoid guys coming off combination

that's a pretty creative solution to the problem if it is one
i honestly think we miss mcphee more in run support right now than in creating pass rush

I wonder how many games this year the Ravens have had over 200 yards rushing? I'm too lazy to look it up right now lol.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Idk what the average is after the niners game but we were averaging a nice bit over 200 for the season
upload_2019-12-5_6-33-0.png

While it’s true that McPhee was a pretty big loss we’ve been pretty ********* overall on the injury front. Miles better than what we’ve experienced in previous years.

Last edited by a moderator: