• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
John Mara says Eli Manning can still be good when surrounded by the right people.

If he thinks that, he should call Cleveland and offer their second first round pick and a Safety for that OBJ guy.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
John Mara says Eli Manning can still be good when surrounded by the right people.

If he thinks that, he should call Cleveland and offer their second first round pick and a Safety for that OBJ guy.
Man, can you imagine OBJ and Saquan on the same Offense? Who do you try to stop?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The NFL has approved a new rule that could impact the PAT/2PT conversion. Teams can now choose to enforce excess celebration(15 yard penalty) on the Kickoff or the PAT/2PT conversion.

That is huge in my opinion.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
All offensive and defensive pass interference calls and non-calls can now be challenged. Rule has been approved by the owners.

The NFL doing something right? Shocking.

So glad to hear this news, getting closer to what Belichick wants and that's all calls to be challenged.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s really going to test the boundaries of pass interference

Inevitably you’ll see coaches not challenging other things earlier in the game because they’ll be saving their 2nd challenge for the inevitable PI call at the end of the game

Honestly I think the “sky judge” idea would be a lot more helpful but I’m not gonna quibble with this sort of progress albeit it’ll probably make some games a bit of a mess

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Eli Manning isn't as bad as most people think. The media makes you believe Eli's a bottom 5 qb. Thats wrong! He can still make all the throws, although he lost some arm strength. The Giants offensive line was terrible. Watch the games when OBJ was injured. He didn't force throws into coverage when targeting OBJ. I'd rather wait another year before I draft Haskins.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Non-calls being challengable is the fundamentally important part of the rule - the fact that not only can flags be picked up but also put on the field by replay is huge
I didn't realize non calls could be reviewable. That's terrific

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn't realize non calls could be reviewable. That's terrific

that's the crucial part of the rule tbh - only being able to pick up flags on review would be at best a half-measure - but also wouldnt have fixed the saints-rams game in hindsight either which was the inciting incident for all this to finally change...

it's frustrating that helmet-helmet stuff isnt reviewable still (at least as far as im aware) but this is a step in the right direction

but this will all still likely be terrible to start with - and probably contentious and controversial still

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Inevitably you’ll see coaches not challenging other things earlier in the game because they’ll be saving their 2nd challenge for the inevitable PI call at the end of the game

Honestly I think the “sky judge” idea would be a lot more helpful but I’m not gonna quibble with this sort of progress albeit it’ll probably make some games a bit of a mess
They wouldn’t save it tho because all reviews within 2 minutes are initiated by the booth, unless you mean for the 4th quarter in which case you’re right. I’d expect the NFL higher ups to come up with some sort of pass interference video to clarify everything. Otherwise this is going to be a mess.

This is really the only rule that I can think of that is purely subjective that is reviewable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They wouldn’t save it tho because all reviews within 2 minutes are initiated by the booth, unless you mean for the 4th quarter in which case you’re right. I’d expect the NFL higher ups to come up with some sort of pass interference video to clarify everything. Otherwise this is going to be a mess.

This is really the only rule that I can think of that is purely subjective that is reviewable.

it's why i think "sky judge" is probably a better way to go about fixing these problems - basically you add another referee to each crew - but the extra official has all the angles live and can make a call faster - the problem at the moment is that the refs have one of the worst angles to call the game from

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it's why i think "sky judge" is probably a better way to go about fixing these problems - basically you add another referee to each crew - but the extra official has all the angles live and can make a call faster - the problem at the moment is that the refs have one of the worst angles to call the game from
I agree, not sure why they didn't go that route.

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is a lot better than leaving everything subject to review. This might have opened a pandora's box imo.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The NFL has approved a new rule that could impact the PAT/2PT conversion. Teams can now choose to enforce excess celebration(15 yard penalty) on the Kickoff or the PAT/2PT conversion.

That is huge in my opinion.

That is major major huge. A 33yd FG becomes a 48 yd one