• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only player to get selected in the 2019 Supplemental Draft was Jalen Thompson and he went to the Cardinals. That's a pretty high pick for a supplemental draft player, assuming the Cardinals will have another high pick.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Looks like Melvin Gordon wants out if new contract is not worked

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only player to get selected in the 2019 Supplemental Draft was Jalen Thompson and he went to the Cardinals. That's a pretty high pick for a supplemental draft player, assuming the Cardinals will have another high pick.

It was a 5th rd pick.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I always want AFC studs to move to the NFC for selfish purposes, but quite frankly, I don't think Gordon has ever really done major damage to us. We've tend to keep him in check for the most part.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Gordon trying to get ahead of the Franchise Tag and not putting himself in a Bell situation playing Tag with the Chargers. I do wonder if he would sit out until the trade deadline waiting for a trade or a new deal, whichever happens first. Then at which if he isn't traded at the deadline, would he sit out the rest of the year?

Gotta say, hate it for talented RBs like him because teams aren't going to be willing to dip a bunch of money into a RB these days with everything being a passing league. The Chargers may just be willing to let him go, sign with another team and take the comp pick and draft a new RB.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Speaking of LA teams, I mean I get that he has to hype his teammates up and whatnot, but for Weddle to call Talib and Peters the "best [he's] ever played with in [his] career" is laughable tbh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ddle-calls-rams-cbs-best-ive-ever-played-with
I like Weddle, but personally I think Father Time has caught up with him. Maybe too many ice cream sundaes but he just can’t close anymore and gets beat too often. I think our secondary got a whole lot better now that he is gone and Earl Thomas was signed.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The NFL reportedly has proposed a 18 game season with a 16 game limit for players. Meaning players would be able to take two weeks off and not play, if this isn't desperation I don't know what is. So that means if your a team needing to win and get in at the end of each season like us, we have to Bench Lamar in the middle of the season, sacrifice those games with potential losses that effects our playoff chances at the end of the season. Then hope that we won those games without Lamar to be able to have him play and get us in the playoffs the last two weeks of the year. Stupid idea.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...8-games-with-a-16-game-limit-for-each-player/

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
The NFL reportedly has proposed a 18 game season with a 16 game limit for players. Meaning players would be able to take two weeks off and not play, if this isn't desperation I don't know what is. So that means if your a team needing to win and get in at the end of each season like us, we have to Bench Lamar in the middle of the season, sacrifice those games with potential losses that effects our playoff chances at the end of the season. Then hope that we won those games without Lamar to be able to have him play and get us in the playoffs the last two weeks of the year. Stupid idea.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...8-games-with-a-16-game-limit-for-each-player/
Yeah, that makes no sense. Would they also expand the roster, because every team would have to carry three quarterbacks, two punters, two kickers....etc. How would gambling work, you can’t set the odds if you don’t know if the starting quarterback is going to play that week.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

548bca91b75d0911b697e8c2733996d0.gif

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

This is ridiculous but I have what could be a decent plan. Make a 17 game season and cut preseason down to 3 games basically eliminating the 1st one since the last one should showcase fringe talent. What you should do with the 17th game is you could develop a rival with an NFC team. How this would work is you would try to do this as geographically as possible ( Ravens/Skins or Ravens/Eagles ) and flip flop home games each year and make the 3rd preseason game which is very vanilla with the same team and also flip flop home games. As the years pass you would develop a rivalry. You would add a 2nd offweek for each team and we could have a 19 week schedule. A payraise for the extra game for the players plus the owners 2 weeks worth of more revenue mainly thru commercials and more viewership.

Also a big win for us fans. ^_^:06:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is ridiculous but I have what could be a decent plan. Make a 17 game season and cut preseason down to 3 games basically eliminating the 1st one since the last one should showcase fringe talent. What you should do with the 17th game is you could develop a rival with an NFC team. How this would work is you would try to do this as geographically as possible ( Ravens/Skins or Ravens/Eagles ) and flip flop home games each year and make the 3rd preseason game which is very vanilla with the same team and also flip flop home games. As the years pass you would develop a rivalry. You would add a 2nd offweek for each team and we could have a 19 week schedule. A payraise for the extra game for the players plus the owners 2 weeks worth of more revenue mainly thru commercials and more viewership.

Also a big win for us fans. ^_^:06:
Very interesting approach. However I feel like the best solution is to keep 16 games with 2 bye weeks. I like how there are always multiple teams in the hunt for a spot & seedings and one more game could have a significant impact (You'd probably have to do a lot of simulations first to check the consequences of one additional game).
One more game before the playoffs increases injuries so I'm not sure if it is worth it apart from a business perspective.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very interesting approach. However I feel like the best solution is to keep 16 games with 2 bye weeks. I like how there are always multiple teams in the hunt for a spot & seedings and one more game could have a significant impact (You'd probably have to do a lot of simulations first to check the consequences of one additional game).
One more game before the playoffs increases injuries so I'm not sure if it is worth it apart from a business perspective.
many years ago we had a 16 game season with two bye weeks. It was back in 1993 when we had 28 teams and 6 divisions.

Now try playing ff with two bye weeks. That would suck.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Just having that extra bye week would help with injuries plus give us an extra week of football. I'm down with it.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Bengals will be without first round pick Jonah Williams for the season after shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. Now the Bengals lose starting Guard Clint Boling who announced his retirement, per Schefter.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Bengals’ G Clint Boling announced his retirement from the NFL. Boling joined the Bengals in 2011 as a fourth-round draft selection (101st overall) out of the University of Georgia.

Inqui

Pro Bowler

This didn't quite register for me since I first read it after getting literally no sleep overnight (still bummed about the cricket), but my first impression is that the NFL is more interested in using this as a bargaining chip than anything else. The owners know how the players will react to this and they'd rather reach the middle ground in the CBA by giving up that ridiculous proposal than by paying an extra X amount of dollars to the players.

If the players want $100 (to make up some numbers) in the new CBA and the NFL's offering $50, it'd be easy to say they just settle for $75 and be done with it because they're both giving up $25 (I know there's way more that goes into this but bear with me). Assuming the NFL's offer hasn't changed, they now want $50 and this expanded schedule. As such, a new middle ground might be to go with $70 and drop the proposal, so the players are giving up $30 and the NFL's dropping $20 and the proposal it "wants".

Maybe I'm being a cynic here, but I suspect the NFL isn't serious about this change and that that in the bigger picture this is another way to screw over the players.