• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This is ridiculous but I have what could be a decent plan. Make a 17 game season and cut preseason down to 3 games basically eliminating the 1st one since the last one should showcase fringe talent. What you should do with the 17th game is you could develop a rival with an NFC team. How this would work is you would try to do this as geographically as possible ( Ravens/Skins or Ravens/Eagles ) and flip flop home games each year and make the 3rd preseason game which is very vanilla with the same team and also flip flop home games. As the years pass you would develop a rivalry. You would add a 2nd offweek for each team and we could have a 19 week schedule. A payraise for the extra game for the players plus the owners 2 weeks worth of more revenue mainly thru commercials and more viewership.

Also a big win for us fans. ^_^:06:

I'm with you 1000%, as I was thinking the very same thing. You can have your London, Mexico and International Games all you want and nobody loses a home game. Also I'll raise your geographical games with geographical games in College Stadiums. The Rams already play where the Trojans play until their new stadium is built, so why not other college football stadiums too?

- Eagles vs Steelers at Penn State
- Cowboys vs Texans at Texas Stadium
- Ravens vs Redskins at Virginia Tech?
- Raiders vs Chargers at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona.

So many possibilities.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm with you 1000%, as I was thinking the very same thing. You can have your London, Mexico and International Games all you want and nobody loses a home game. Also I'll raise your geographical games with geographical games in College Stadiums. The Rams already play where the Trojans play until their new stadium is built, so why not other college football stadiums too?

- Eagles vs Steelers at Penn State
- Cowboys vs Texans at Texas Stadium
- Ravens vs Redskins at Virginia Tech?
- Raiders vs Chargers at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona.

So many possibilities.

I know you can really match up geographically. Carolina/Tenn, Miami/TB, Jax/Atl, Den/Minn. Its all there. The only outcasts. New England/.Seattle. Battle of the north coasts. Coffee vs tea. Idk. Lmao.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Bengals will be without first round pick Jonah Williams for the season after shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum. Now the Bengals lose starting Guard Clint Boling who announced his retirement, per Schefter.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Bengals’ G Clint Boling announced his retirement from the NFL. Boling joined the Bengals in 2011 as a fourth-round draft selection (101st overall) out of the University of Georgia.
lets trade the Bengals James Hurst, he can play tackle and guard . :lol:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
So I was listening to Will Cain on the Stephen A. Smith Show today and one of the topics he talked about was an interesting one. He mentioned three teams who are "arriving at the end of their grace period." In other words, teams who basically ran out of excuses and needs to start showing better results. The following are the 3 teams he mentioned:

1. 49ers - Jimmy G is back
2. Browns - all the hype around their talent
3. AFC South - Colts being a SB contender (don't agree with them being on this list), Texans ability to win more than a playoff game (if that), Titans (speaking more about Mariota), Jags though Cain admitted he didn't know what to make of them (neither do I tbh).

What say you, folks? For me, I'd replace the Browns with the Bucs. Way too many times we hear about how the Bucs are a dark horse playoff contender. Some of the times, they start off good, but then tail off and never to return.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So I was listening to Will Cain on the Stephen A. Smith Show today and one of the topics he talked about was an interesting one. He mentioned three teams who are "arriving at the end of their grace period." In other words, teams who basically ran out of excuses and needs to start showing better results. The following are the 3 teams he mentioned:

3. AFC South - Colts being a SB contender (don't agree with them being on this list), Texans ability to win more than a playoff game (if that), Titans (speaking more about Mariota), Jags though Cain admitted he didn't know what to make of them (neither do I tbh).

What say you, folks? For me, I'd replace the Browns with the Bucs. Way too many times we hear about how the Bucs are a dark horse playoff contender. Some of the times, they start off good, but then tail off and never to return.

I don't agree with the Colts on that list at all. I think the Colts are still trying to rebuild after like 4 amazingly awful drafts in a row and 2 good ones is not enough to fix it. The reason people hype them is because they have Andrew Luck who I almost want to say is underrated at this point in time. He still carries that offense in a way few can.

The Texans should be on that list, the 49ers for sure, the Vikings, the Bears, and yes the Browns. The Browns loaded up to the point where people think they should be a legit AFC contender so its time for them to show it or be shown to be pretenders.

The Bucs do not really fit that to me because they are never really hyped to be anything. People go "oh yeah the Bucs are an okay team" but no one goes "This team could make a real SB run if everything falls into place".

Honestly though I think the Browns go 8-8 or 9-7. The hyped sexy pick that signed all the sexy FA to build a contender always bombs. Just ask the Vikings last year or when Washington did it like 5 years in a row.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Jimmy G went into last season as the starter and got derailed by a torn ACL in week three. Would the 49ers shown potential if he didn't get injured? Colts have a new head coach and GM, showed last year how inept Grigson was as a GM. Ballard has them positioned to be AFC contenders for years to come with a healthy Andrew Luck behind an improved offensive line and defense.

1. Steelers - How many more chances will Mike Tomlin get to blow the playoffs or not even make the playoffs? Obviously RBs are a dime a dozen and not having Bell didn't effect them as Conner took over just fine. They traded AB away, so the drama is gone right? Ben's running out of time to get one more Super Bowl ring.

2. Vikings - This will be a fun team for someone to have in the forum mock next year. 11 players take $10M or more in cap space in 2020 and after failing to make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins after being one game away in 2017, a full blown rebuild with a new HC and GM may be on the horizon.

3. Chargers - Much like the Steelers, they have an aging QB who is running out of time to get a Super Bowl ring, well his first and potentially only Super Bowl ring. This team is snake bit, always had the talent no matter the Head Coach. Marty, Norv, Gus and now Anthony Lynn. Yes, they got a playoff win over us last year but they almost blew that at the end of the game. Then they got stomped by the Pats like every AFC Team who walks into Gillette Stadium in January except for us. Their window closes when Rivers retires and need to start producing NOW.

This didn't quite register for me since I first read it after getting literally no sleep overnight (still bummed about the cricket), but my first impression is that the NFL is more interested in using this as a bargaining chip than anything else. The owners know how the players will react to this and they'd rather reach the middle ground in the CBA by giving up that ridiculous proposal than by paying an extra X amount of dollars to the players.

If the players want $100 (to make up some numbers) in the new CBA and the NFL's offering $50, it'd be easy to say they just settle for $75 and be done with it because they're both giving up $25 (I know there's way more that goes into this but bear with me). Assuming the NFL's offer hasn't changed, they now want $50 and this expanded schedule. As such, a new middle ground might be to go with $70 and drop the proposal, so the players are giving up $30 and the NFL's dropping $20 and the proposal it "wants".

Maybe I'm being a cynic here, but I suspect the NFL isn't serious about this change and that that in the bigger picture this is another way to screw over the players.
You have to say The League has mastered the art of managing the players and their union. I know the league gets a lot of heat, but honestly I think fans (especially those in smaller markets) benefit from the fact that the league has a solid grip on the players. When leagues lose that grip (as in baseball and now NBA) the product suffers .... unless of course you are a fan of major markets.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't agree with the Colts on that list at all. I think the Colts are still trying to rebuild after like 4 amazingly awful drafts in a row and 2 good ones is not enough to fix it. The reason people hype them is because they have Andrew Luck who I almost want to say is underrated at this point in time. He still carries that offense in a way few can.

The Texans should be on that list, the 49ers for sure, the Vikings, the Bears, and yes the Browns. The Browns loaded up to the point where people think they should be a legit AFC contender so its time for them to show it or be shown to be pretenders.

The Bucs do not really fit that to me because they are never really hyped to be anything. People go "oh yeah the Bucs are an okay team" but no one goes "This team could make a real SB run if everything falls into place".

Honestly though I think the Browns go 8-8 or 9-7. The hyped sexy pick that signed all the sexy FA to build a contender always bombs. Just ask the Vikings last year or when Washington did it like 5 years in a row.
How about the Eagles dream team.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
How about the Eagles dream team.

The Eagles (and Rams who I honestly expected to hear) were teams that had actually achieved some success and used FA to go to the next level.

The teams I listed, in regards winning FA, including the Browns, all tried to skip that part and jump straight into the next step part which doesn't work.

I think you have to actually show you can win games with the players you have before loading up. I can't quantify it well, but to me before you try to become a big player in the playoffs you have to know how to win and not be just a one-year wonder.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
No suspension for Hill

The NFL.... Consistently INCONSISTENT when it comes to handling Domestic Violence Issues. Meanwhile, Josh Gordon is still suspended because he wanted to get high. The worst part is the NFL determined that his statement to Crystal Espinal, "You need to be terrified of me too" did not warrant a suspension. Are they waiting for him to kill her, beat her up and bruise her before suspending him? He just threatened her with that sentence.

TMZ will come out with a video showing how the NFL screwed up and he'll be suspended like he should have to begin with. We lost Jimmy Smith for 4 games because he was verbally aggressive, somehow what Hill said was not "verbally aggressive" enough?

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Eagles (and Rams who I honestly expected to hear) were teams that had actually achieved some success and used FA to go to the next level.

The teams I listed, in regards winning FA, including the Browns, all tried to skip that part and jump straight into the next step part which doesn't work.

I think you have to actually show you can win games with the players you have before loading up. I can't quantify it well, but to me before you try to become a big player in the playoffs you have to know how to win and not be just a one-year wonder.
that eagles dream team is one of the biggest examples of failure through the use of free agency and the it's called the dream team for a reason. of course they didn't fit in the Eagles system. Especially Nnamdi Asomugha

Totally agree with your last paragraph

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The NFL.... Consistently INCONSISTENT when it comes to handling Domestic Violence Issues. Meanwhile, Josh Gordon is still suspended because he wanted to get high. The worst part is the NFL determined that his statement to Crystal Espinal, "You need to be terrified of me too" did not warrant a suspension. Are they waiting for him to kill her, beat her up and bruise her before suspending him? He just threatened her with that sentence.

TMZ will come out with a video showing how the NFL screwed up and he'll be suspended like he should have to begin with. We lost Jimmy Smith for 4 games because he was verbally aggressive, somehow what Hill said was not "verbally aggressive" enough?

It’s absurd: Brady got banned for 4 games just for the suspicion that he knew that someone else was deflating balls on his behalf, multiple players get high level suspensions for weed and in some cases end up on the exempt list

But this is the nfl where apparently you can be domestically violent or threatening all you want as long as you don’t partake in the heinous crime of occasionally smoking

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It’s absurd: Brady got banned for 4 games just for the suspicion that he knew that someone else was deflating balls on his behalf, multiple players get high level suspensions for weed and in some cases end up on the exempt list

But this is the nfl where apparently you can be domestically violent or threatening all you want as long as you don’t partake in the heinous crime of occasionally smoking
Brady knew everything, he told them how much air to take out.
Then destroyed the evidence on his phone. Should have been suspended much, much longer.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Jimmy G went into last season as the starter and got derailed by a torn ACL in week three. Would the 49ers shown potential if he didn't get injured? Colts have a new head coach and GM, showed last year how inept Grigson was as a GM. Ballard has them positioned to be AFC contenders for years to come with a healthy Andrew Luck behind an improved offensive line and defense.

1. Steelers - How many more chances will Mike Tomlin get to blow the playoffs or not even make the playoffs? Obviously RBs are a dime a dozen and not having Bell didn't effect them as Conner took over just fine. They traded AB away, so the drama is gone right? Ben's running out of time to get one more Super Bowl ring.

2. Vikings - This will be a fun team for someone to have in the forum mock next year. 11 players take $10M or more in cap space in 2020 and after failing to make the playoffs with Kirk Cousins after being one game away in 2017, a full blown rebuild with a new HC and GM may be on the horizon.

3. Chargers - Much like the Steelers, they have an aging QB who is running out of time to get a Super Bowl ring, well his first and potentially only Super Bowl ring. This team is snake bit, always had the talent no matter the Head Coach. Marty, Norv, Gus and now Anthony Lynn. Yes, they got a playoff win over us last year but they almost blew that at the end of the game. Then they got stomped by the Pats like every AFC Team who walks into Gillette Stadium in January except for us. Their window closes when Rivers retires and need to start producing NOW.
For me, I put the Bucs because they're only hyped as a dark horse contender to make the playoffs and not an actual Super Bowl contender. Maybe because I live in FL and I hear "dark horse contender" a lot to describe the Bucs' upcoming season on a virtually yearly basis.

Like the Steelers, I didn't put the Vikings on this list simply because they had a down year for different reasons. While both talented in their own rights, I don't think Juju or Conner will be AS productive as their respective predecessors. The Vikings were just a year removed from being in the NFC Championship. Improve that OL and they're right back in the mix.

As for the Chargers, you know something? I agree. Can we some sort of a deep playoff run or will they continue to be an "accident waiting to happen?" With Mahomes on the Madden cover, one would think that the Chiefs are the next victims of the Madden Curse. Chargers should totally capitalize on this and at least host a playoff game.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has officially told the team he will not be showing up to the start of Training Camp when the Chargers open up camp.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Mike daniels was released by the Packers. Wouldn't be shocked if we worked him out.

Also, I haven't understood this Niners hype since last year. What about that bum ass team makes people think they can compete for the division, let alone a bowl?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Titans OT Taylor Lewan announced he failed a drug test and will be serving a 4 game suspension to start the year.