• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i was watching bits of it - his mechanics look the exact same as when he last played in the nfl - he can still throw with enormous velocity and put balls on a line - his release was slightly languid but i think he was trying not to be too rushed - his footwork looked ok but he was mostly practicing from under centre (which he wouldnt do loads of in the nfl id imagine) - accuracy was inconsistent but he threw a couple of beautiful deep balls right on the moneyhink

he basically looked like the kaepernick he's always been as a thrower but the issues with kaepernick as a qb were never really about arm talent it was always about making reads and throwing with accuracy, touch and timing - but last time we saw him he was playing like a decent game-manager who also could use his legs - someone who would and should start for maybe 5-6 teams currently at least but certainly could backup for most teams in the league
5-6 is a generous erring in teams favour I think

rossihunter2

Staff Member
https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1195833632755200001

im wondering who the 6 teams were - i know the eagles pro-personnel guy was there because someone posted a pic of him at the workout but dont know who else - really odd if those 24 nfl teams couldnt get their personnel person an hour away to watch a workout given the amount of media that made it (who found out about the changes with less time)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah, saw this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincen...usion-is-real-and-has-no-bounds/#23a3570e6aa2

Nothing better than when slimy lawyers thought they made a cunning plan and get exposed.

nfl's only hope at this point might be a team deciding to sign him - if anything this whole workout nonsense makes it more likely he's been actively blackballed (and continues to be) - the case is probably now better for kaep if he wanted to take the nfl back to court

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1195833632755200001

im wondering who the 6 teams were - i know the eagles pro-personnel guy was there because someone posted a pic of him at the workout but dont know who else - really odd if those 24 nfl teams couldnt get their personnel person an hour away to watch a workout given the amount of media that made it (who found out about the changes with less time)
That's a farse. Couldn't they say they are just not interested?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's a farse. Couldn't they say they are just not interested?

depends on their reasoning - nfl teams do due diligence on every potential nfl prospect down to undrafted and unsigned college players, they have pro-personnel departments review every potentially available player on every team and unsigned in the league - would seem odd for the teams not to even look at kaepernick - the individual teams dont have to sign him but it would be odd for most not to be there to at least see and evaluate and update their scout reports etc.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This whole Kaep thing is one big mess created by the NFL. Sudden workout in the middle of November, not in January or Feb when he has a better chance to sign with a team before free agency and a chance to make the roster for a team in 2020. NFL did not want the media there? Ok fine, I understand as not every workout on Tuesdays is filmed so why give him special treatment. I understand his team worried about NFL Films removing the good highlights and only showing the bad highlights so they wanted to record it as well. Yet what's stopping his team editing the footage and removing the bad throws, only keeping the good throws? Editing of the workout goes both ways. NFL really screwed everything up regarding Kaep.

Based on the other quarterbacks in the league and yes while some backups have proven to be able to lead teams, those teams were already good and had great pieces around them to help them. Put Kaepernick in New Orleans or Carolina, he'd have the same success as Bridgewater or Kyle Allen with how talented those teams are. Kaep is an immediate upgrade for teams like Cincy, Washington, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Jets, Broncos, and Chicago who need better starting Quarterbacks. He could be a backup for other teams too. I've always said, give him a chance and see what happens if he has to compete with a rookie or veteran for a backup/starter job in Camp and go from there.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im all for kap playing. Wanted him as our backup instead of mallet lol. However, anyone can look good in gym shorts and a tshirt. Out for 3yrs? gonna take time to adjust..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I understand his team worried about NFL Films removing the good highlights and only showing the bad highlights so they wanted to record it as well. Yet what's stopping his team editing the footage and removing the bad throws, only keeping the good throws? Editing of the workout goes both ways. NFL really screwed everything up regarding Kaep.

the difference here is the resolution of each side to this - the nfl decided they wanted less coverage and kaep's side decided they wanted more transparency and wanted media to be able to broadcast the whole workout if they wanted - at that point they can cut it up however they want but the whole footage is out there and on his own workout that's what happened - everything was and is on camera

the nfl is the party with the power here who were always going to have unedited footage no matter what

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im all for kap playing. Wanted him as our backup instead of mallet lol. However, anyone can look good in gym shorts and a tshirt. Out for 3yrs? gonna take time to adjust..

obviously but this was proof that he hasnt regressed in the physical aspects - he mechanically and athletically looks the same as he did when he left football and he also looked well in shape - the next step would be a team bringing him in to a camp or to the practice squad or somewhere where there's defenders and a pass rush etc. - but you cant simulate that

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Kaep actually looked good throwing the ball, but he seemed to be so angry in that interview. I don’t think that helps him, I really don’t.