• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
"All this" meaning my shameless (or shameful whichever you want to use) attempts to speak it into existence or his constant attempts to vocalize his desire to want out?

*ducks*

haha
the way he's going off a la ramsey on twitter to try and force his way out... but he's not as good as ramsey so he cant get away with it in the same way

and i dont want to even ask about SIIE lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d trade Judon ASAP to clear up some cap space, trade for Yannick since his value is plummeting, then draft Judons replacement. Orrrrrrr trade Judon and sign Clowney on a year deal. Either way, any scenario should involve a trade of Judon
You act like it's easy to trade a player. You need two to tango and you don't want to sell out like BOB or the Jags did with Campbell or even the Hawks when we traded a 5th for Peters. If it was that easy to trade Judon, I'm still not sure he would do it, because he may want to extend him, but not at his current asking price.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
You act like it's easy to trade a player. You need two to tango and you don't want to sell out like BOB or the Jags did with Campbell or even the Hawks when we traded a 5th for Peters. If it was that easy to trade Judon, I'm still not sure he would do it, because he may want to extend him, but not at his current asking price.
At this point I just think it’s known how much I dislike Judon, but I totally get what you’re saying

JAAM

Hall of Famer
i mean im not his biggest fan but i dont get why you dislike him this much i guess... is it his personality? his play on the field?
His play on the field. I absolutely don’t think he’s worth the money he’s seeking and he can’t get pressure organically. He’s not a game plan wrecker at all. Like his personality though, sans the cryptic tweets a couple of months ago

rossihunter2

Staff Member
His play on the field. I absolutely don’t think he’s worth the money he’s seeking and he can’t get pressure organically. He’s not a game plan wrecker at all. Like his personality though, sans the cryptic tweets a couple of months ago

idk - while i dont think he's a dominant guy, he does do some things that make him particularly useful in our scheme and that mean he's a better rusher (with blitzers) than almost everyone in the league - and that's with a large sample size given how much we blitzed last year

so while his job should be easier - he is uniquely more successful than any other edge rusher in the NFL at that skill

and part of that comes down to his versatility in that he had a large percentage of passing down snaps where he was not rushing the passer and that ability allows us to disguise and create favourable matchups

one of my favourite blitzes last year came against the patriots where matt judon dropped into coverage (as well as someone else on his side) and it meant that because of the blitz design 3 patriots OL were blocking michael pierce (drew a triple team lol) and it left free rushers on the other side despite not committing crazy numbers

but that kind of call can only be made because of what judon can do for us there - by being both an actual threat off the edge and also a talented cover OLB

im not saying he's a game-changer but at this point he probably does more for Wink's defence than Ngakoue and Clowney do - both of those guys have different skillsets but neither of them have the ability to drop into coverage in the same way - and Ngakoue is not great against the run either

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 mentioned it earlier. This is a really bad look for yannick and the jags are right. Hes not making it easier on himself and he wont get paid like he wants to because of this childishness. Dont want him here.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 mentioned it earlier. This is a really bad look for yannick and the jags are right. Hes not making it easier on himself and he wont get paid like he wants to because of this childishness. Dont want him here.

exactly - now you can argue that the franchise tag system leads to problems like this where a player can be trapped in a place he doesnt want to be with a team that also doesnt really want him either but ultimately it's happened and he can't change that so he has to be smarter about how he gets out

and now Khan has literally stated to everyone that if it wasnt clear already, it is now: they actively would be happy to trade ngakoue - they just need a team to offer them the right compensation

it's a broken system that the NFLPA foolishly didnt get changed in the latest CBA so they're stuck with it - but given the way it works you have to be smarter in situations like this

JO_75

Hall of Famer
exactly - now you can argue that the franchise tag system leads to problems like this where a player can be trapped in a place he doesnt want to be with a team that also doesnt really want him either but ultimately it's happened and he can't change that so he has to be smarter about how he gets out

and now Khan has literally stated to everyone that if it wasnt clear already, it is now: they actively would be happy to trade ngakoue - they just need a team to offer them the right compensation

it's a broken system that the NFLPA foolishly didnt get changed in the latest CBA so they're stuck with it - but given the way it works you have to be smarter in situations like this

Whoever is in charge of the NFLPA, can't think of his name at the moment but that person needs to be fired. That's two back to back CBA deals where the players took a loss. Yeah the revenue split is better for the players but nothing changes on the Franchise Tag? No Guaranteed contracts? Another 10 year deal with no option to cancel the CBA or go back to the negotiating table after X amount of years? They should follow the rookie contract system with all contracts to be fair, except 3 years with an optional 4th year at a higher cost similar to the Tag but once the option is picked up, teams can't use either the Franchise or Transition Tag on the player to keep him for a 5th year. Teams must negotiate a new 3 year deal at that point to avoid the player hitting free agency.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
At this point I just think it’s known how much I dislike Judon, but I totally get what you’re saying
I think he's definitely overrated, without a doubt, so I understand where you are coming from. That being said, if he is a Raven in 2020, I'll be rooting for him and curious to see how he performs with actual talent on the offensive line. Last year Judon was the only pass rusher on the team.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

That and the 5th yr option. After said contract is completed you limit the freedom to the find the job you want? But its in the contract between the union and the NFL which is why players should take more interest in the "politics" of their job.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Breaking News: Rob Gronkowski is unretiring and he wants to play with Tom Brady. So Patriots have agreed to trade Rob & a 7th to the Bucs in exchange for a 4th Round Pick.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
NFC South Offenses:
Saints: Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Alvin Kamara, Jared Cook
Falcons: Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Hayden Hurst, Todd Gurley
Buccaneers: Tom Brady, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Rob Gronkowski, OJ Howard(if he isn't traded)

Panthers: You know what, let's just tank for Trevor. We aren't competing with that 6 times a year.