• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

well the first paragraph was good

the second one was not good - the suggestion that the only reason wheeler did this was mental health related (and that he needs help) as if he was suicidal and not homocidal is a bit of a miss

but at least the first paragraph was pretty emphatic

He may known mental health issues that he was not managing. I read it as encouraging others to seek help to prevent future preventable acts of violence.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just dont understand why the seahawks havent said anything - it would be super easy for them to say something as simple as "we're aware of the situation regarding [insert player name] who is scheduled to be a free agent... we have made the decision we will not be re-signing him - we as an organisation take domestic violence incredibly seriously and needless to say, [insert player name]'s actions do not fit with our organisation's values - we wish and pray [insert victim's name] makes a full recovery and will support her"

tbh they dont even need to be that emphatic - just the fact they havent said anything as simple as 'we're aware of the situation and monitoring' - like i get the fact that he's a free agent - but he's technically a seahawk until the new league year
Frankly, they shouldn't say anything. You wait for the facts to play out, then you make a decision. We've seen these kinds of "reports" turn out to be flat out lies in the past also, so it would look pretty foolish of them to cut or not re-sign a player so quickly.

They did the right thing. Waited until they corroborated with police, then parted ways. It really doesn't matter whether its done an hour after, a day after, or a week after. Its not like they let him suit up and play. Their season is over.

I was generally fine with the statement too. Just because it mentions suicide doesn't mean they think he is. By definition, it requires a mental health problem to do something like this. Whether its psychosis or CTE, it doesn't matter. Its still a mental illness.

Obviously I have no sympathy for him and am perfectly fine if he's in prison for the rest of his life or even kills himself. I don't really care. Seems to be a pretty horrible person, or at least, did some things that were pretty horrible, and I think whatever punishment happens is sufficient.

But I think we're putting a little too much stock in the "response" from a football team that isn't actively doing anything. The legal system is going to take care of this for them anyway.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Teams have already called for Deshaun Watson per Rap Sheet. Jets have that number two pick along with the Seahawks first round pick. Carolina would be a great fit but if the Jets are involved then I don't think any other team has a chance. Plus Darnold can be traded to Houston in a swap.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Music to my ears...

Brooke Pryor
@bepryor

Just finished Art Rooney II's state of the Steelers. He says Ben Roethlisberger wants to be back next year, but there will have to be significant concessions for that to happen with the cap situation because that $41.2M cap hit can't work with the reduction in salary cap.

2:23 PM · Jan 28, 2021·Twitter Web App

they'll probably have to extend him to massage that cap hit and a significant amount of the money into the future

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean there are plenty of non-mentally ill people who do screwed up things

being a bad person and having mental health problems are completely mutually exclusive things
I would generally equate anybody who beats their girlfriend to perceived death, then sits down to eat, and shows genuine surprise when they're still alive, as having mental health problems of some kind.

I don't really require some sort of clinical diagnosis to make that assessment.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know which offseason will be more interesting: ours or theirs?
There's for certain. It's 50/50 they lose their franchise QB, its a lock that several key players for them are allowed to walk in the offseason, and they'll have other retirements. And pretty much very little of that will be able to solve their salary cap problems.

We have issues. They have much, much, much bigger issues. I would put them in like the top 5 of "most fucked NFL teams" heading into the offseason.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
they'll probably have to extend him to massage that cap hit and a significant amount of the money into the future
I think that's the thinly veiled point of Rooney's comments... I don't think an extension is happening. If there is one, it'll be for like one year, with no guaranteed money.

I took what he said to basically mean "Ben, you're taking a paycut, or you're not playing here". He's got a $15M roster bonus due in mid March, and a $4M salary. If he doesn't budge significantly off either, I think they'll outright cut him if he doesn't retire. $19M in cap savings if they do, which would solve a tremendous amount of their cap problem.

Downside, of course, is they can't afford to compete for any of the "name brand" veteran QBs hitting the market, and they don't have any respectable on the roster.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's your mistake then
Or maybe its the "medical professions" mistake. There's no chemical testing done for any of it. It's all just "opinion".

I convinced three different doctors to prescribe me Ritalin based purely on just lying about symptoms and sharing my feelings. All so I could use it in college to get high and study.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Obviously it's just speculation BUUUUUUUTTTT...............

I like the fit. Has Stafford had any semblance of a running game in DET? What a waste of a career. Brother @JAAM , since you live in Cali, any of your 49er friends heard about this?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Obviously it's just speculation BUUUUUUUTTTT...............

I like the fit. Has Stafford had any semblance of a running game in DET? What a waste of a career. Brother @JAAM , since you live in Cali, any of your 49er friends heard about this?

Oh yea. They absolutely want him. I think they’ve given up on the possibility of Watson and are now enamored with Stafford. One of my friends even went so far as to say he’d give up their 1st for him. I wouldn’t personally. More like a 2nd and a few others, but they like him that much (which they should). Stafford would absolutely thrive in that system. I loathe the 9ers and their fans (even my homer friends sometimes lmao) and don’t want them to have anything nice, but as a sports fan, it’d be awesome to see a Lion not waste his career and given a legitimate shot

JO_75

Hall of Famer
BLOCKBUSTER TRADE ALERT!!! Stafford and Jared Goff are switching places in 2021 and the Rams continue to give away 1st round picks. The Rams are giving up their first round picks in 2022 & 2023 in this trade for Matthew Stafford. The last time the Rams had a first round pick? 2016 when they selected Jared Goff.

Last edited: