• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
this SI cover piece on the Texans and Easterby is wild

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

just supremely toxic and i hope Watson can get away from that situation - he's 25 years old - he shouldn't have to deal with these internal power grabs

i know there are probably people who are christian and have faith on this board so i just want to preface this by saying i dont want to come across as being anti-christian or anything like that... and i dont mean this to be offensive in anyway to anyone here...

but it seems that religion and christian faith in particular have become the most important part of cal mcnair's support system and the connection between power and religion within that organisation seems to be (from an outsider's perspective) a key reason for that toxic atmosphere

easterby in particular embodies many of the things that make me mistrust much of organised religion and especially christianity with the way he's leveraging his faith for power and seemingly imposing it on individuals "below" him within the texans organisation

This take doesn’t make any sense and his hypocritical considering Watson is an equally devout Christian. So much so that he was baptized in Israel. If your going to bash beliefs at least be consistent. Religion is not the problem in Houston , the owner is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This take doesn’t make any sense and his hypocritical considering Watson is an equally devout Christian. So much so that he was baptized in Israel. If your going to bash beliefs at least be consistent. Religion is not the problem in Houston , the owner is.

right but there are different ways of practicing your faith - it is literally stated in the article that easterby imposed his religion and prayer on those who he was superior to within the organisation in ways that made them feel uncomfortable - im not condemning them for having faith - if that was the case i should just stop watching the NFL given the constant assignations of success to God - but the way that mcnair and especially easterby practice their faith seems to govern their organisational decision making

it is also stated that the thing he and McNair have most in common is their faith - and Nick Caserio's also similarly devout

i mean it's pretty symbolic that a team chaplain has basically become the de facto most powerful man in the organisation...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Speaking of Deshaun Watson.....

Wonder why he wants the Jets? Not a ton of talent on the team, cold weather, high state taxes.

Was really hoping he would get sent to a NFC team.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Wonder why he wants the Jets? Not a ton of talent on the team, cold weather, high state taxes.

I know right?!?! And same! But I guess he really likes Saleh. I don't think there's a connection between the two.

Simba

Staff Member
It's official... the Matthew Stafford era is over.

Very curious to see where he ends up. Could argue that his stats have been padded over the years but Detroit never game him much of a shot to actually win anything either.

SF, IND, DEN, and WSH all decent fits on paper. Could even see NE and Belichick potentially.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Very curious to see where he ends up. Could argue that his stats have been padded over the years but Detroit never game him much of a shot to actually win anything either.

SF, IND, DEN, and WSH all decent fits on paper. Could even see NE and Belichick potentially.

Oh hell no, let them sink to the pit of misery and hope they take 20 years to find a Franchise QB again. We just got rid of Brady, we don't need Belichick to start winning with Stafford and it be like having Brady again. These are the same teams I can see chasing Watson just replace Mia with Indy since Houston won't be that stupid to trade him to a division rival. Stafford on the move, Dak potentially on the move, Watson perhaps, the QB carousel is going to be fun to watch in March.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

after all these years they've finally got a good structure in place there - Joe Douglas looks to be a good GM, Saleh's a hire that inspires a lot of confidence and they've also got enough draft picks to make the trade somewhat feasible

his "top" options just happen to be 2 teams that have enough picks to potentially actually trade for him without mortgaging their entire futures

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know right?!?! And same! But I guess he really likes Saleh. I don't think there's a connection between the two.
Jets make no sense at all. They have trade all their picks to get Watson and their roster is just as bad as the texans'. In the end he'd still have no weapons

Simba

Staff Member

There were rumors a couple of weeks back when all of this started blowing up that he wants a big market for endorsement opportunities.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I'm curious what the Lions could get for Stafford at this point. I know Stafford is still playing well but I imagine a first round pick is where all trade talks begin. Compared to Watson who will cost at least 3 first round picks, Stafford would probably only cost 1 and a couple seconds and potentially a player or two. Hindsight 20/20 and what we know now about the 2017 & 2018 QB Draft classes but those were the years they should have pulled the trigger on a Stafford trade sooner.

There were rumors a couple of weeks back when all of this started blowing up that he wants a big market for endorsement opportunities.

New Panthers GM said they will be in on every deal when asked about Watson and while he played at Clemson and Watson wouldn't mind "coming home" so to speak Carolina isn't a big market. Apparently now the rumor is that Watson wants the Jets because of the Saleh hire and he wanted the Texans to interview him and also that fits the big market for endorsements. The Jets have the highest first round pick to give away of all the teams interested and Houston could snag Justin Fields or Zach Wilson at 2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh we would know about him being a good executive.

and he has done pretty well since he got there - used savvy low-priced free agents to fill out the roster when they had low talent and had a decent looking first draft (but most importantly absolutely nailed the first pick to get the franchise LT) - and everyone loves the coaching hire he's made too

this offseason's crucial because he's got to get the QB decision right whether that be sticking with Darnold, drafting someone or finding a way to get Watson - whatever the choice he has to get that right but if he does he'll have smashed his first 2 offseasons out of the park

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really never understood the "go to big markets to get endorsement deals" logic. Its 2021. Endorsement deals are global. It doesn't matter who you play for.

Like which large company is giving him endorsements because he's in New York, but not doing it because he's in Houston? Makes zero sense.

You think Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, who play in tiny markets, are over there sweating endorsement deals? Baker Mayfield is an endorsement whore. He plays in Cleveland... maybe the most boring "city" on planet Earth.

Simba

Staff Member
Really never understood the "go to big markets to get endorsement deals" logic. Its 2021. Endorsement deals are global. It doesn't matter who you play for.

Like which large company is giving him endorsements because he's in New York, but not doing it because he's in Houston? Makes zero sense.

You think Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, who play in tiny markets, are over there sweating endorsement deals? Baker Mayfield is an endorsement whore. He plays in Cleveland... maybe the most boring "city" on planet Earth.

I don't disagree. Especially tax wise. Put my ass in Miami so I don't have to pay those massive income taxes.

But, yeah, it doesn't make much sense but that was the report. I'm not even convinced the Jets have that large of a market despite being in NY.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Washington would be a serious contender if they secured Stafford. I could see the acquisition and drafting a young QB