• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Poor Texans fans...Watson refuses to be mature and work with the organization and the organization refuses to admit they severely screwed up. I’m amazed they can’t sit down and figure all this out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that ship has sailed and every bridge has been burnt. Even with Watson still playing in HOU, I don't see the Texans getting much better unless EVERY draft pick they have this year is an A++ with the extra credit.

Speaking of Texans fans, here's a thread from their forums discussing this very thing. Page 13 seems to be the most relevant going forward.

https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/dw4-staying-or-going.115720/page-13

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This is turning into the world's worst divorce.

Deshaun: I want a divorce.
Texans: Um... no.
Deshaun: I just want to move on..sign the papers.
Texans: No.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rossihunter2

Staff Member

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
its the beginning of talks - it's highly likely they'd be far apart at this point

seems like a bit of a non-story

Idk I’m just not a fan of doing this large contract now when Lamar only cost 3M against the cap next year. I don’t see the price changing that significantly from off season to off season unless he wins a Super Bowl. Just makes me really nervous investing so much in one player. Most teams seem to regret it. I’m sure he wants just a little below Mahomes money which is crazy even for his talents.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Idk I’m just not a fan of doing this large contract now when Lamar only cost 3M against the cap next year. I don’t see the price changing that significantly from off season to off season unless he wins a Super Bowl. Just makes me really nervous investing so much in one player. Most teams seem to regret it. I’m sure he wants just a little below Mahomes money which is crazy even for his talents.

Actually Lamar Jacksons will count 21 million against the cap next year if The Ravens exercise his fifth year option. This year he suppose to count only 3 million against the cap but honestly right now Jackson is probably cheaper now than he will be in the future. There's obviously somethings he need work on but he's definitely worth being a Raven for the foreseeable future.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...art_on_a_contract_extension/s1_12680_34221635

Apparently Lamar and the Ravens are far apart. I’m more than ok with the contract not getting done this year. I’m just concerned he wants money close to Mahomes which will inevitably kill any franchise.

Well, couple things here:
1. He can want anything. It doesn't mean he will get it.
2. Not a single of the 32 NFL franchises would pay him $45M a year. So if his agent takes that stance, he will either be unemployed, or he will take less than that (the latter is 100% what will happen).
3. The Mahomes contract, in my eyes, really isn't all that special to be honest. It's got a large group of very big, very fake numbers in it.
Its just a series of non-guaranteed roster bonuses that guarantee the year before they're due.
Like at this very moment, Mahomes has zero guaranteed money left on his contract beyond 2022. In about two weeks his 2023 salary + roster bonus will be fully guaranteed, but he only got $63M guaranteed at signing and $141M of total guarantees.
Look at the structure today... theoretically, the Chiefs could move on after 2022, with almost no financial penalties. The last seven years of his "ten year" contract has no dead money associated with it right now.

The Chiefs could theoretically just erase like $300M of his deal and not have to pay a dime of it.

I think Deshaun Watson's deal is much more comparable to Lamar. A 4-5 year extension that will pay him like $160M, with probably about half guaranteed at signing and around $115M in total guarantees.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is turning into the world's worst divorce.

Deshaun: I want a divorce.
Texans: Um... no.
Deshaun: I just want to move on..sign the papers.
Texans: No.

I can't tell you how much I love the Texans stance on this right now.

It may change, but I would bet a large sum of money that if the Texans just keep using the word "no" to response to any and all trade inquiries, Watson is under center week 1 for Houston in September.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I dnt blame him. Look how much we use him. At any moment he can get injured and lose out on easily 100 million dollars.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well, couple things here:
1. He can want anything. It doesn't mean he will get it.
2. Not a single of the 32 NFL franchises would pay him $45M a year. So if his agent takes that stance, he will either be unemployed, or he will take less than that (the latter is 100% what will happen).
3. The Mahomes contract, in my eyes, really isn't all that special to be honest. It's got a large group of very big, very fake numbers in it.
Its just a series of non-guaranteed roster bonuses that guarantee the year before they're due.
Like at this very moment, Mahomes has zero guaranteed money left on his contract beyond 2022. In about two weeks his 2023 salary + roster bonus will be fully guaranteed, but he only got $63M guaranteed at signing and $141M of total guarantees.
Look at the structure today... theoretically, the Chiefs could move on after 2022, with almost no financial penalties. The last seven years of his "ten year" contract has no dead money associated with it right now.

The Chiefs could theoretically just erase like $300M of his deal and not have to pay a dime of it.

I think Deshaun Watson's deal is much more comparable to Lamar. A 4-5 year extension that will pay him like $160M, with probably about half guaranteed at signing and around $115M in total guarantees.
Pat deal is 1000% special lol in every single way. Moving on from him in 2022? No matter how you try to down play it, that contract is amazing.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pat deal is 1000% special lol in every single way. Moving on from him in 2022? No matter how you try to down play it, that contract is amazing.
I mean, its purely from a theoretical standpoint and obviously would in no way happen. Barring some sort of like off-field catastrophe or a Joe Theisman-level injury, he'll be a Chief for at least probably 10-15 years.

But the point is that both the media and us fans look at some of these ungodly numbers that are published and all react to them. We get caught up in AAV and all these other contract metrics that, in the grand scheme of things, really don't matter.

The point is that a contract of that size and structure is like 75% written in pencil. They can just erase it, change it, tear it up, add to it, etc. as frequently as they want. If somehow Pat Mahomes becomes the next Aaron Hernandez and turns into a serial killer, its not like the Chiefs will have to pay him like $300M to be in prison. They can erase a gigantic amount of his contract and largely any point and time after the first like 3-4 years, and be on the hook for very little afterwards.

Like in pretty much all context, after about 2023, Mahomes is just playing with the Chiefs on a series of one year contracts, based on roster bonuses at the Chiefs discretion. They decide one year in advance to pick it up or not, and that becomes guaranteed for the following year. If they decline one, he becomes a FA the next year and the Chiefs don't owe him a dime more.

That's how a player like Mahomes can sign for like $5-10M a year more than literally every other QB. Sure, he's better than and deserves it, but like he also gave them a pretty sweet-heart contract from a structural standpoint. He probably could have commanded a LOT more in guaranteed money.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I dnt blame him. Look how much we use him. At any moment he can get injured and lose out on easily 100 million dollars.
Right, but the flip side is you can't blame the franchise for not wanting to give like $150M in guaranteed money to a QB that is running the ball 100+ times a year. It goes without saying, but who's signing up for Lamar as a franchise QB if he doesn't run the way he does? I'm not.

And while he can run, that won't always exist. And one injury can greatly reduce that also. That's why it actually does make some sense to lock him up now, because I'd like my compensation/salary cap to match his production. I'm confident Lamar can be an outstanding playmaker at QB for about the next 3-4 years, or maybe a few years longer. But do I want Lamar on a $40M+ cap hit at 30, when he's not able to outrun the league and is possibly throwing 450-500+ times a year? I don't. This next contract for Lamar may be his only "big one" as a franchise QB, and there's not a lot of QBs that have that issue.

So he should try to maximize that, and the Ravens should be looking to mitigate that risk the best they can as well.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I can't tell you how much I love the Texans stance on this right now.

It may change, but I would bet a large sum of money that if the Texans just keep using the word "no" to response to any and all trade inquiries, Watson is under center week 1 for Houston in September.
I dunno, the man is making it clear that he's willing to sit out if need be.