• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
this is like old school high school shit...
My college baseball coach did same thing. I got recruited by a coach who retired in the Summer before I got there. New coach was hired in the Fall. First day of open tryouts there were 2 Seniors who had started for the team the prior like 2-3 years that showed up about 4 minutes late to tryouts. He booted them off the field and told them they weren't making the team, no questions asked.

Next day another of the team's starting pitchers from the prior year had a conflict between baseball practice and some sort of band practice (you can't make this shit up). He's a good 20-30 minutes late to practice, and brought his tuba or whatever to the dressing room with him. He gets to the practice field, gets chewed out, and told to run around the campus... indefinitely. He ran for about 90 minutes straight, then started heading to the locker room when he saw practice was wrapping up. Coach chewed him out again for stopping, told him he had another hour to go. Player ran right back to his apartment, never returned.

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My college baseball coach did same thing. I got recruited by a coach who retired in the Summer before I got there. New coach was hired in the Fall. First day of open tryouts there were 2 Seniors who had started for the team the prior like 2-3 years that showed up about 4 minutes late to tryouts. He booted them off the field and told them they weren't making the team, no questions asked.

Next day another of the team's starting pitchers from the prior year had a conflict between baseball practice and some sort of band practice (you can't make this shit up). He's a good 20-30 minutes late to practice, and brought his tuba or whatever to the dressing room with him. He gets to the practice field, gets chewed out, and told to run around the campus... indefinitely. He ran for about 90 minutes straight, then started heading to the locker room when he saw practice was wrapping up. Coach chewed him out again for stopping, told him he had another hour to go. Player ran right back to his apartment, never returned.

literally the stuff movie villains are made of - would be criticised by reviewers for being too obviously exaggerated and yet this shit is everywhere in real life

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
literally the stuff movie villains are made of - would be criticised by reviewers for being too obviously exaggerated and yet this shit is everywhere in real life
Honestly, other than people just thinking he was a huge dick, there's nothing wrong with it. This was like 17 years ago. Even today, it's basically just "setting the tone". The program we were in was a losing one. They hadn't had a winning baseball team in like 15 years. He was like "look, no matter how good you are individually, ya'll have sucked for a long time. You do things my way, or you're gone". And that was that.

I ended up playing only one year because he pretty much decided that he was going to start fresh with recruiting and bring in his own recruits. He was playing mostly freshman and sophomores a year or two later.

And by the way... they're a perennial conference champion now.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Joe Burrow has looked shaky behind a bad OL. Chase hasn't performed well and experiencing a case of the drops(multiple practices) is what I've heard from Bengals camp.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Joe Burrow has looked shaky behind a bad OL. Chase hasn't performed well and experiencing a case of the drops(multiple practices) is what I've heard from Bengals camp.

supposedly chase not separating well - which is what he struggled to do on tape at times - probably my biggest concern with him - i really think the year off did not help him at all

from the sounds of it the WRs have been a mixed bag in camp so far:
Chase - has struggled
Waddle - has been an electric separator and route-runner
Smith - has been injured a bit but otherwise has looked like the best receiver in camp for the eagles
Toney - is just starting to get 1st team snaps
Bateman - has been as advertised
E Moore - has been as advertised
R Moore - has been exciting in fits and starts
Eskridge - been out since end of OTAs
Atwell - been out to begin training camp with covid
Marshall Jr - has been as advertised
Palmer - has been as advertised
Brown - has been as advertised
Rodgers - has been getting involved - likely already won the return job

shows off some of the depth of the class

if the bengals truly believe he's special then that's the pick they have to make but i cant help but thinking that penei sewell/rashawn slater and terrace marshall/rondale moore/dyami brown etc. is a better outcome than chase + carman - just in terms of pure early impact you're looking at 2 starters vs 1 (as of now)

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
It has been a mixed bag there. Just hope that they can find a #1 go to guy. Lamar can't do it all

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The Washington Football team put out a new video about how they have narrowed down the list of potential names and logos down to three. They show you a list of names but bleep out the final 3 choices. Unless they bought the rights to the Defenders name from the XFL, I don't think that will be it. Very surprised Washington Warriors isn't on the list, but if it was me I'm choosing Redwolves out of this list of names.

List of Names:
-Washington Presidents
-Washington Brigade
-Washington Redhogs
-Football Team
-Washington Commanders
-Washington Armada
-Washington Defenders
-Washington Redwolves

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
The Washington Football team put out a new video about how they have narrowed down the list of potential names and logos down to three. They show you a list of names but bleep out the final 3 choices. Unless they bought the rights to the Defenders name from the XFL, I don't think that will be it. Very surprised Washington Warriors isn't on the list, but if it was me I'm choosing Redwolves out of this list of names.

List of Names:
-Washington Presidents
-Washington Brigade
-Washington Redhogs
-Football Team
-Washington Commanders
-Washington Armada
-Washington Defenders
-Washington Redwolves
I'd choose Redwolves or Football Team

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

List of Names:
-Washington Presidents
-Washington Brigade
-Washington Redhogs
-Football Team
-Washington Commanders
-Washington Armada
-Washington Defenders
-Washington Redwolves
Redwolves is my vote

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

haha the ravens helping to end rosen's career after he was drafted ahead of lamar

Rosen drafted at 10 that year … yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can we get rid of all these old out of touch owners like Mara?

I would agree class and respect are old but hardly out of touch concepts.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just to clarify I agree with you guys on the taunting to a point. I like a little shit talk. I just want it toned down , especially on nothing plays. The NFL would do well to lay some succinct ground rules. Anything less and this will turn into a shit show

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

List of Names:
-Washington Presidents
-Washington Brigade
-Washington Redhogs
-Football Team
-Washington Commanders
-Washington Armada
-Washington Defenders
-Washington Redwolves
Wait so redtails didn’t make it??? redwolves is tacky af, sounds like a high school team and “wolves” just doesn’t flow well enough for a team that has their name in a fight song that the fans sing at every game.