• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
reading between the lines

TB realized he didn't get a chance to beat Lamar and wanted to race him while he was on skates during the halftime show

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hold up......

The SPJ (society of professional journalism) just doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's all about speed and not accuracy. So annoying. Maybe these journalists should read their own Code of Ethics once in a while.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who's "we?" The Ravens will be just fine barring injuries, SIR.

I got stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa. It’s been awesome. Have a condo downtown and the entire area turned into a block party for the Bolts and Bucs championships. If not the Ravens , I’m all in on the Bucs for my own selfish party reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The SPJ (society of professional journalism) just doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's all about speed and not accuracy. So annoying. Maybe these journalists should read their own Code of Ethics once in a while.

the problem is that insiders are often able to skate by journalism rules because they dont class themselves (and nor do their networks) as journalists for that very reason

JO_75

Hall of Famer
It just seems odd how back in October, Brady said he felt he could play until he was 55. "I could literally play until I'm 50 or 55 if I wanted to." He did mention wanting to spend more time with his family, perhaps he saw the Bucs have everyone being a free agent and said I'm out.

It just seems odd how back in October, Brady said he felt he could play until he was 55. "I could literally play until I'm 50 or 55 if I wanted to." He did mention wanting to spend more time with his family, perhaps he saw the Bucs have everyone being a free agent and said I'm out.

This is my guess as well. He doesn't want to play unless he has a whole offense/team of top tier talent around him. Afraid he'll be seen for what he really is, a very good QB that had great teams around him that lifted him up. Incredibly lucky career.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is my guess as well. He doesn't want to play unless he has a whole offense/team of top tier talent around him. Afraid he'll be seen for what he really is, a very good QB that had great teams around him that lifted him up. Incredibly lucky career.
you don't luck yourself into 7 super bowl wins and 10 appearances. He's one of the best all time.

Reactions: cdp

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Brady makes it official himself.... he's retiring. First inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2027.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah this post doesn't make any sense.
You'll have a hard time selling anybody that many of his Patriots teams that won the SB were "great teams". Major talent and personnel issues up and down most of those lineups.
The best part about Brady's legacies are the teams where he has some of the best offensive weapons around, he didn't win a SB.

There's no such thing as being "lucky" for two decades. People who think that way should have their opinions swiftly and firmly dismissed as pure ignorance.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, my argument would be simply this...

What does the public want? Does the public value accurate reporting? Because I think its almost impossible to conjure up an argument that the general public cares even a little bit about accurate reporting. I don't think that's been true largely since the internet became mainstream and widely available.

If you're not first to report on a story, you might as well not even report on it at all, unless you have additional, relevant information to share.

In this case, I have zero issue with anything the media did. Waiting until the actual primary party to the story confirms the accuracy of it isn't really all that relevant in this case, and oftentimes, they literally never will.

This was a pretty clear path to me. Brady had already decided, he had told a bunch of people, who then leaked it to the media. Tom probably wanted to wait to announce on his terms or wait until after the SB to take the spotlight off of him in the moment. He misread the room and thought by telling a bunch of people that somehow it wouldn't leak and that everybody would just sit on their sources until he said so.

Not only is that not how journalism works, there's not a single journalist in the Country that would follow that procedure. They'll go back to their source, reconfirm, and if its reconfirmed, they'll go with the story. It's why ESPN and a bunch of other networks stuck with the story, even when Brady denied it. They knew their info was good, and it clearly was.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So, my argument would be simply this...

What does the public want? Does the public value accurate reporting? Because I think its almost impossible to conjure up an argument that the general public cares even a little bit about accurate reporting. I don't think that's been true largely since the internet became mainstream and widely available.

If you're not first to report on a story, you might as well not even report on it at all, unless you have additional, relevant information to share.

In this case, I have zero issue with anything the media did. Waiting until the actual primary party to the story confirms the accuracy of it isn't really all that relevant in this case, and oftentimes, they literally never will.

This was a pretty clear path to me. Brady had already decided, he had told a bunch of people, who then leaked it to the media. Tom probably wanted to wait to announce on his terms or wait until after the SB to take the spotlight off of him in the moment. He misread the room and thought by telling a bunch of people that somehow it wouldn't leak and that everybody would just sit on their sources until he said so.

Not only is that not how journalism works, there's not a single journalist in the Country that would follow that procedure. They'll go back to their source, reconfirm, and if its reconfirmed, they'll go with the story. It's why ESPN and a bunch of other networks stuck with the story, even when Brady denied it. They knew their info was good, and it clearly was.
Unfortunately this is how it is today. Anyway turns out Schefter was right and he is retiring and for the most part, Schef is right. That being said there are plenty out there that all they want to do is be first and look what happens with J.. when he reports something. I swear he is wrong atleast 50% of the time. Anyway, not arguing your point. I actually agree with it, but thats what the world has come to with social media.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Brady makes it official himself.... he's retiring. First inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2027.

we should hold him out of the HOF for a few votes just to penalize him for being connected to BB and deflategate. lol

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Back when Brady passed the torch to Lamar.
FKhYbECWUAsFAlq

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Unfortunately this is how it is today. Anyway turns out Schefter was right and he is retiring and for the most part, Schef is right. That being said there are plenty out there that all they want to do is be first and look what happens with J.. when he reports something. I swear he is wrong atleast 50% of the time. Anyway, not arguing your point. I actually agree with it, but thats what the world has come to with social media.
lol, he has a much higher accuracy rate than that. The public just assumes he's right all the time, and when he wrong, they amplify it to the extent that he should never be wrong.

The reality is being first is about the only way to make money and make a name for yourself as a reporter. Nobody has the time or desire to read a 20 page article that somebody spent weeks, months, or years developing. When the most common and popular medium for information is largely capped at a small # of characters, being first, short, decisive and to the point is King.

What I agree with is that there's no "restraint" anymore. The media used to have a better relationship with celebrities, athletes, etc. and would give them chances to confirm or deny information. Those days are over.