• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Weren't punished for tanking scandal. They were punished for tampering with Brady and Payton.

Also as one person on Reddit put it, the scandal that would hurt the league(tanking) wasn't true but the one that only hurts the Dolphins was true.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also as one person on Reddit put it, the scandal that would hurt the league(tanking) wasn't true but the one that only hurts the Dolphins was true.
Well, as common sense puts it, the tanking claims never made any sense (or basically are impossible to achieve) to begin with, and the other was very plausible and realistic.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weren't punished for tanking scandal. They were punished for tampering with Brady and Payton.

They put the blame on that Brady bullshit. Everyone knows the owner tried to throw games. They just can’t admit that with millions of new dollars coming in from their new partners in the gambling world.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They put the blame on that Brady bullshit. Everyone knows the owner tried to throw games. They just can’t admit that with millions of new dollars coming in from their new partners in the gambling world.
Maybe. I'm more of the mindset that he doesn't really have that kind of power to do so. Tanking requires players to actively not try as hard as they can. I've seen no evidence of that.

Now, if the argument is that Ownership or leadership creates rosters that are somewhat intentionally "non competitive" from a skill standpoint, then I agree, that's happened. The problem is I don't think you can come close to punishing the Dolphins for it, since many, many franchises have done it for a very long time.

Who wants to make the argument that the Houston Texans aren't tanking this year? Have they done everything they possibly could to put together a roster that was competitive enough to win a SB? So what should their punishment be?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
LMAO

1659662068514.png

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, as common sense puts it, the tanking claims never made any sense (or basically are impossible to achieve) to begin with, and the other was very plausible and realistic.
and if they tanked, they would have finished with the first pick in the draft.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
and if they tanked, they would have finished with the first pick in the draft.
Yes. Which the argument for tanking is you get a higher draft pick. Which is great and wonderful. If that higher draft pick is Peyton Manning, you're going to be in good shape. If it's any of the many #1 overall picks who were not franchise-altering picks (basically anybody who's not a QB), tanking didn't work.

Look at all the franchises who's routinely picked in the top 5-10 draft picks (sometimes as high as #1 overall) for like a decade or longer. And look at how many of them still suck.
Like look at Jacksonville's track record of very high draft picks and explain to me why they still suck. Answer... QB is the only thing that matters. And they sucked to get Lawrence, and while he's still just a sophomore, they're incredibly unlikely to be a playoff team this year.
2 years into a franchise, generational type prospect at QB, and they're still not going to be good.

Tanking in the NFL doesn't work. You can tank for 5 years and it guarantees you nothing in terms of winning. Tanking works in the NBA, where literally one player can turn a franchise around. The number of NFL players available in the draft who can literally turn a franchise around is measured in years, not per year. Most drafts don't have a franchise-altering player. And rarely are any of them outside the QB position. Especially in modern football.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I'll gladly take Hamilton but man, Sauce is gonna be an elite corner.

Just hope Week 1 he still acts like a rookie corner. I feel it's a W week one but if Lamar gets too crazy looking for the big play, Sauce could get a interception or two.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Update: Becton will need season ending surgery on his right knee, ending his 2022 season. Huge loss on the OL front for the Jets before the season starts.

Last edited: