• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If anyone is looking for a house in the New England area, Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore has put his house up for sale. The ad says all offers must be in by November 3rd, which is the trade deadline day.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Between the fight in our game, the one at the end of the Chargers choke job, and THIS? It's fight night in the NFL!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dallas has to be hoping the Jets win a few games because it seems the Tank is on in Dallas.

I don't think this changes anything.
1. Why does it matter who your 3rd QB is? Its not like DiNucci is a stud who they're sitting. Its just swapping out backups of backups. Wouldn't even move the point spread an inch.
2. I'll believe they're tanking when Andy Dalton is healthy and they opt not to play him. That's the real signal. As of now, all they're doing is shifting around deck chairs on the titanic.

I know this is sort of tongue in cheek, but "tanking" is actually throwing in the towel. Like intentionally not putting your best players on the field with the desire to lose games. Cowboys aren't doing that. They're putting their best players out there. Its just many of their actual best players are either injured and can't play, or aren't playing well to begin with.

If I'm Dallas I probably don't want #1 anyway. I'd rather be in the #3-#5 spot so I can get a boatload of picks on the trade back. Its pretty blatantly obvious to everybody that Prescott was the only thing holding that team together. They should pay him whatever he wants, cut the dead weight of some of these horrible contracts they gave (like Demarcus Lawrence) and trade back from a top 5 picks and get a great haul for short and long term.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think this changes anything.
1. Why does it matter who your 3rd QB is? Its not like DiNucci is a stud who they're sitting. Its just swapping out backups of backups. Wouldn't even move the point spread an inch.
2. I'll believe they're tanking when Andy Dalton is healthy and they opt not to play him. That's the real signal. As of now, all they're doing is shifting around deck chairs on the titanic.

I know this is sort of tongue in cheek, but "tanking" is actually throwing in the towel. Like intentionally not putting your best players on the field with the desire to lose games. Cowboys aren't doing that. They're putting their best players out there. Its just many of their actual best players are either injured and can't play, or aren't playing well to begin with.

If I'm Dallas I probably don't want #1 anyway. I'd rather be in the #3-#5 spot so I can get a boatload of picks on the trade back. Its pretty blatantly obvious to everybody that Prescott was the only thing holding that team together. They should pay him whatever he wants, cut the dead weight of some of these horrible contracts they gave (like Demarcus Lawrence) and trade back from a top 5 picks and get a great haul for short and long term.

If I am Dak, I ask for the entire house and if I don't receive it walk.

Like you said, it is clear that Dak was the reason the team looked decent and his leadership (which can't be measured) kept the team in check. Jerry played a dangerous game that is ending up in Dak's favor even though he got injured.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I am Dak, I ask for the entire house and if I don't receive it walk.

Like you said, it is clear that Dak was the reason the team looked decent and his leadership (which can't be measured) kept the team in check. Jerry played a dangerous game that is ending up in Dak's favor even though he got injured.
I mean... it kinda worked out for Jerry though.

On the surface, you'd think Dak's got them over a barrel.

But Dallas has three key things working for them:
1. A player coming off a brutal injury, with pretty much no possibility of showcasing that he's recovered prior to either side needing to make a decision on his future with the team.
2. What is very much shaping up as a top 5 draft pick. Jerry can dangle that in front of Dak as leverage for as long as he needs to, and it'll probably help. They can basically tell the world that they can get a good QB in the draft if they so choose.
3. A declining salary cap in the year when Dak is a FA.

The third item isn't necessarily an issue, depending on the structure of the deal, but keep in mind that a lower salary cap is a reflection of lower revenue, and cash is cash in the NFL. Owners coming off revenue declines may not be as interested to spend large piles of cash on players in the offseason. And if you're signing Dak, its going to cost a LOT of cash up front.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 @JO_75

Speaking of CBs, looks like Lattimore has essentially put Mike Evans in prison. Good grief.

it's funny how forgotten lattimore has been after essentially being an all-pro as a rookie and looking like one of the great ones - he had a slightly down year 2 and because he never re-emerged at the crazy insane level he was at as a rookie he's been basically forgotten about - but he's a great corner prospect

was the best CB prospect outside of Jalen Ramsey for a long time - only reason he fell where he did was because of his injury history

that 2017 corner class was insane though: 3 all-pros in the first 5 guys taken (lattimore, humphrey and white) and then a ton of other guys who've been starters for most of their careers: Shaq Griffin, Desmond King, Adoree Jackson, Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie, Ahkello Witherspoon

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the media outcry against this move is wild - palcic seems to have been thought of as one of the very best in the business - the rumours are that she was axed for her political views

but it says a lot about the texans that potentially the best PR exec in the business isnt a "culture fit"

they have to be up there with the jets for worst run franchise in the NFL surely from ownership down...