• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Offensive Line Thread

The Raven

Veteran
From a technique standpoint, is center much different than guard?
Not really, in my opinion. The "technique" really is consistent across all five positions. Just varying differences in footwork. Tackles have deeper drops. The difference maker is size and athleticism, for example, are you long enough and mobile enough to deal with speed on the edge, or do you have the pad level and lower body strength to stand up a nose?

The trick with going from guard to center is learning how to snap AND block. There are many guards who could feasibly play center, if it weren't for having to snap the ball.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Part of me feels like I should create a general thread for our defensive unit with the posts above. We do have a number of highly specific threads, so it wouldn't be the worst idea.

I was going to make this topic over the last few days but kept getting sidetracked, I hope nobody thinks that things are acceptable as they are, our offensive line is our entire offensive identity and right now we're even worse than last year when we were ranked in the 20's and couldn't beat teams that weren't even putting up 20 points.

Hot takes:

- Flacco should not be throwing more than 40 passes a game
- We don't have a stud at HB, WR or TE
- Alex Lewis is far better suited to play tackle, but he's not proven there and is still lining up at LG
- Neither Jensen, Urschel or our two rookies are proven starters, they're all risks
- We have nobody at RT

I think what we should do is hit up the Eagles for a trade, they have a logjam of experienced campaigners on the interior and just signed Chance Warmack to a one year deal, so that means Jason Kelce, Isaac Seumalo, Stefan Wisniewski, Allen Barbre and Chance Warmack are fighting for 3 positions and two should be available and eager to remain starters.

We could make a postseason run this season if we fix our oline NOW.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was going to make this topic over the last few days but kept getting sidetracked, I hope nobody thinks that things are acceptable as they are, our offensive line is our entire offensive identity and right now we're even worse than last year when we were ranked in the 20's and couldn't beat teams that weren't even putting up 20 points.

Hot takes:

- Alex Lewis is far better suited to play tackle, but he's not proven there and is still lining up at LG
- Neither Jensen, Urschel or our two rookies are proven starters, they're all risks
- We have nobody at RT

I think what we should do is hit up the Eagles for a trade, they have a logjam of experienced campaigners on the interior and just signed Chance Warmack to a one year deal, so that means Jason Kelce, Isaac Seumalo, Stefan Wisniewski, Allen Barbre and Chance Warmack are fighting for 3 positions and two should be available and eager to remain starters.

Would def be interested in Kelce and/or Wisniewski.

Tank

Hall of Famer
The trick with going from guard to center is learning how to snap AND block. There are many guards who could feasibly play center, if it weren't for having to snap the ball.

This makes sense and I'm guessing one of the reasons along with identifying schemes, that a center needs to be one of the more cerebral members of the group. You could equate it to a player in a band playing their instrument and singing at the same time. While they may be able to do either very well independently of each other, it can be extremely difficult to do both simultaneously. Maybe not more cerebral, but better "mental coordination".

arnie_uk

Veteran
Can't believe in June our starting oline has Jensen and Hurst.

Jensen hasn't been able to do anything this far in his career. Zuttah and that other guy we signed of the street last year that sucked were favourited over him last year. Could he improve and finally nail it? Yea sure he could but more than likely not. Huge question mark.

Hurst.. need I say anything? Should be a 8th or 9th lineman on the roster if on it at all.

Yanda has been dinged up and is ageing but I'll be optimistic and assume he's an all pro again.

Stanley. Again I'll be optimistic and assume he will perform as well as he did down the stretch.

Lewis / nico are both question marks. Ones a rookie and one was up and down last year and at a position he wasn't most suited at. Again a huge question mark.

In my eyes 2 from 5 are sorted.
2 from 5 are huge question marks
And 1 position is just a total cluster fuck

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

Hot takes:

- We have nobody at RT

I am right there with you. I just don't feel much optimism for our current o-line. I would really like to see us make a trade for a decent o-lineman, as we did not address our two biggest needs in the draft and that is Center and RT. I have zero confidence in Hurst at RT, and not very confident in Jensen converting to Center.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Our Oline is trash. Only reliable person we have is yanda. Lewis And stanley Are in their 2nd year And im not sold yet

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Our Oline is trash. Only reliable person we have is yanda. Lewis And stanley Are in their 2nd year And im not sold yet
Yes, but Lewis, even though he isn't playing his best position at RT should be improved this year at guard. I also feel Jensen will be more like the 2015 Jensen since he gained some weight. He was pushed around too much in 2016, feel the weight gain will help in that regard.

I also seem to remember that Jensen played pretty well towards the latter half of the season in 2015 when KO was kicked out to LT. In 2016, while terrible while run blocking was graded pretty well as a pass blocker, per pff and yes pff is not the end all be all.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How are you not sold on Stanley? He was exceptional as a rookie LT with a rookie LG next to him.

That's unheard of. Most rookies don't even get CONSIDERED for LT by the coaches, they move in at guard or to RT for their rookie year and sometimes longer

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Anybody waiting to see Wesley and Nembot?

Im excited to see how they do relative to Hurst- who appears to be fully entrenched as the starting RT in OTAs. As unremarkable as he has been up to this point, the reports out of the official site say that (a) he's been the first player in the building at least once per Byrne and (b) has taken every single rep at RT with the first team per Mink- which I think is an obvious sign that the FO has confidence in him. Seems like Wesley or Nembot would really have to go off to unseat him.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh?? Hurst? Just. Get him out of here.

I can't believe we are relying on him pulling a total 180. It's insanely idiotic.

JFC. Poor Flacco.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Wait? Jason Kelce is avaliable?

I'd send a fourth for him tbh.
Stanley-Siragusa-Kelce-Yanda-Lewis(we better not be starting Hurst)

Honestly. I'm fine with that line.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why would Kelce even be available? Other than fitting the 5m into the cap with a likely receiver on the way I would love love the move I just do not lnow why its even on the table.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

Hot takes:

- We have nobody at RT

Me personally, I think Dixon is a stud. I understand that he needs to do a better job pass protecting, but I love how he runs.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Why would Kelce even be available? Other than fitting the 5m into the cap with a likely receiver on the way I would love love the move I just do not lnow why its even on the table.

Kelce was pretty bad last year and got pushed around too much-- basically was a worse version of Zuttah.

There were rumors about a month ago that he was on the trading block, they resigned Wisniewski to a cheap contract and have Seumalo behind him. Both are starters with guard experience. From memory Wis was disgruntled last season at not starting but then took some snaps at guard.

Me personally, I think Dixon is a stud. I understand that he needs to do a better job pass protecting, but I love how he runs.

He's talented for sure but he has a long injury history, that will affect his consistency and production over his career. Also he needs to stay away from the roids, not just for PED suspensions but because it will cause more injuries.