• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Id like us to look at the possibility of a FA signing of Shaq Barrett and a possible franchise tag applied to Judon (believe about 15.4 million). I had it in my mind that Barrett was a fit here during the off season and we could have signed a young player for a song but I still like the fit whether we franchise Matt or not.
Bucs recently said that he wouldn't hit free agency.

Schobert is the guy to bring in, I think he gets 16 million a year. Hes a leader, signal caller, gets everyone aligned and grades well against the run and pass, great blitzer too.

Littleton is too small, Martinez is a better cover LB and Trevathan is 30 and injury prone.

Just looking at the WRs in free agency I would pick up Larry Fitz or Danny Amendola, we have a ton of youth, size and speed to burn but no reliability. Those two are old and slow but they will catch everything when we need it and provide a veteran influence.

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
Just looking at the WRs in free agency I would pick up Larry Fitz or Danny Amendola, we have a ton of youth, size and speed to burn but no reliability. Those two are old and slow but they will catch everything when we need it and provide a veteran influence.
I think Fitz retires if the Cards don't resign him but I would love to sign Amendola

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Schobert is the guy to bring in, I think he gets 16 million a year. Hes a leader, signal caller, gets everyone aligned and grades well against the run and pass, great blitzer too.

Littleton is too small, Martinez is a better cover LB and Trevathan is 30 and injury prone.

I like Schobert the best too but damn that 16 mil price but right now its too much for my blood but if we was letting both Judon and Pierce go we should most definitely go after 1 A+ player. Could be MLB since th draft seems pitiful this year.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well if Suggs filled Fitz's hear about how nice Balt is. We really need another good outside WR.

I like Schobert the best too but damn that 16 mil price but right now its too much for my blood but if we was letting both Judon and Pierce go we should most definitely go after 1 A+ player. Could be MLB since th draft seems pitiful this year.

This is just my opinion but I think teams get way more bang-for-their-buck with a dominant signal caller in the middle than a dominant edge rusher, especially when the market for pass rushers is so hot that teams will pay over $16 million a year for guys with 8 sacks.

When you have a secondary like ours and a top ranked pass defense you don't need a 20 million dollar pass rusher.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is just my opinion but I think teams get way more bang-for-their-buck with a dominant signal caller in the middle than a dominant edge rusher, especially when the market for pass rushers is so hot that teams will pay over $16 million a year for guys with 8 sacks.

When you have a secondary like ours and a top ranked pass defense you don't need a 20 million dollar pass rusher.

Well after Ray what can I say. :lol::lol:

I also really like some edge rushers for our 2nd rd pick that can step in Judon's shoes like a Zack Baun.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Clowney just said he wants to play for a contender and doesn't want to go to a sorry team for money. He wants to win

Bring him here, he's what we need.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...eon-clowney-eyeing-super-bowl-contender-in-fa
I’m not sure Seattle lets him go. What’s their cap situation like? That’s the real question because they could franchise him right?
Maybe. I like the idea of paying either him/Barrett/?, signing McPhee to an inexpensive one year deal and franchising Judon and drafting a next year replacement for Judon.
This would give us
big FA signing (Barrett/Clowney or someone of that ilk ),
Ferguson
Judon
McPhee
higher round edge prospect
I don’t think we have a chance at Barrett. He’ll be either signed by the Buccaneers or tagged IMHO. I’d like McPhee back as a rotational guy.

Schobert would be a great get for numerous reasons, I agree. He would solve a lot of our issues and could stop Kelce. He would also help fix the middle of our defense and stop those long runs have that hurt us so badly this year.
Yes to Fitz but no to Amendola for me.
I want to say AJ Green but I dont know what kind of money he wants at this point in his career
I’m worried about his injuries mounting up to becoming problematic.

I disagree and agree in that we must get a pass rusher and edge defender to stop those lateral runs that hurt us at times this year. Your secondary can also only hold for so long. For these reasons, I’d like to bring back Suggs and McPhee to be here and draft replacements as well. This way we get youth to replace them and veterans to keep guys in check. We’re a young team missing veteran maturity IMO. It’s partially why I think we’ve lost in the playoffs recently.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Judon and Barrett are going to cost similar to what ZDS got and we still have Stanley to ink long term along with Humphrey. Clowney I believe will blow away the EDGE market completely and will be out of our range. I think Kerrigan could very well be the EDGE rushing equal to what Peters was this year for us. Rams went all out and traded the farm away for Ramsey, we traded just a 5th and Kenny Young for Peters, we won that deal hands down. Kerrigan can come in at less money and do what Judon and Barrett do just as good. Kerrigan will be a Raven next year, book it.

I’m not sure Seattle lets him go. What’s their cap situation like? That’s the real question because they could franchise him right?

I don’t think we have a chance at Barrett. He’ll be either signed by the Buccaneers or tagged IMHO. I’d like McPhee back as a rotational guy.

Schobert would be a great get for numerous reasons, I agree. He would solve a lot of our issues and could stop Kelce. He would also help fix the middle of our defense and stop those long runs have that hurt us so badly this year.

Yes to Fitz but no to Amendola for me.

I’m worried about his injuries mounting up to becoming problematic.

I disagree and agree in that we must get a pass rusher and edge defender to stop those lateral runs that hurt us at times this year. Your secondary can also only hold for so long. For these reasons, I’d like to bring back Suggs and McPhee to be here and draft replacements as well. This way we get youth to replace them and veterans to keep guys in check. We’re a young team missing veteran maturity IMO. It’s partially why I think we’ve lost in the playoffs recently.

Its pretty common with Ravens fans to underestimate the importance of setting the edge, mainly because theres no statline and when its good you don't notice it. This year without Suggs and McPhee getting injured I started to notice leaks on the outside, then the floodgates burst open against the Titans like a biblical plague.

If we're addressing in free agency I also like Carl Nassib or Ronald Blair, both are in their prime, moderate rushers and set a hard edge. Blair is coming off an ACL tear so should be low risk, hes also more of a edge setter who can slide inside and rush.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its pretty common with Ravens fans to underestimate the importance of setting the edge, mainly because theres no statline and when its good you don't notice it. This year without Suggs and McPhee getting injured I started to notice leaks on the outside, then the floodgates burst open against the Titans like a biblical plague.

If we're addressing in free agency I also like Carl Nassib or Ronald Blair, both are in their prime, moderate rushers and set a hard edge. Blair is coming off an ACL tear so should be low risk, hes also more of a edge setter who can slide inside and rush.

trust me we've all been aware of the inability to set the edge this year - but we lost a starter at a position where we were already incredibly thin mid-way through the season - jaylon ferguson showed some things at times but was consistently an absolute liability in the running game

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol I just wanna point out that like every description was of a top 10 draft pick type. Completely well rounded with no weaknesses and explosive playmaker all in one for every position lol
Not really. Teams have shown you can find a WR with a big radius and good hands with just enough speed outside the first round. The only descriptions that could warrant top 10 are S & Edge defender, & possibly ILB if you want them to do both stop the run and cover TE. I don’t think S has to be a selection it’s just an area we could improve. They also don’t need to all be draft picks and could be guys already on this team who step up and improve.

Well, I hope this was the list of all the possible options we could go with and that it would be nice to fill 1 or 2 of these (certainly not all of them). Also, it wasn't stated that it had to be draft. Maybe one of these in 1st round and 1 in FA.

And you never know ... I think to fill some of these needs are players that can be developed to become what is described after the 1st round, but you just can't count on it and it won't be for a year or 2 down the road .... they certainly won't be "instant coffee".
You got what I was putting down, thanks for that. They don’t all have to be external additions either. We just need guys to step up for us. Hell, safety could solve itself if Elliott and Clark continue to progress. If Scott or Boykin continue to progress then that solves our WR need. Same could be said about G, but I think that’ll be a draft pick.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Blair would be a nice get. I liked both him and Nassib coming out of the draft. I could get behind those guys.
trust me we've all been aware of the inability to set the edge this year - but we lost a starter at a position where we were already incredibly thin mid-way through the season - jaylon ferguson showed some things at times but was consistently an absolute liability in the running game
We really need Ferguson to step up his game this year. He’s a guy we need to take a serious year two leap.

For most of the season everyone wanted Ngakoue despite his clear inability to play the run, now after we getting run over the Ngakoue hype has been replaced with Clowney

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For most of the season everyone wanted Ngakoue despite his clear inability to play the run, now after we getting run over the Ngakoue hype has been replaced with Clowney
very true

JADEVEON CLOWNEYDL, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Coach Pete Carroll said impending free agent DE Jadeveon Clowney informed GM John Schneider that "he loves it here" and would like to re-sign with the Seahawks.
Carroll always paints a rosy picture, but we have no reason to not believe him, as Clowney apparently went to Schneider's office Monday and told him how much he loved his first season in Seattle. Clowney's sack numbers weren't there with just three on the year, but he played through a core-muscle injury that will require surgery next week, and still generated a ton of pressure off the edge while maintaining high-end run defense. Seattle will surely want to try and bring Clowney back after trading for him last summer.