• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
And I think this is where we differ. I think the Ravens have zero reservations about keeping Judon on a one year, $16M contract. I don't think its possible for a team to franchise tag a player unless they're comfortable with the price of the tag for that player, because there's no guarantees they'll get any trade partners, and there's no guarantee you'll get a long term extension.

Their ideal desire may be to trade him, but they're not going to franchise tag him and then come back in a month and be like "yeah we can't afford to pay his tag". That would be an epic failure on the FO part.

I think Judon playing the 2020 on a one year, almost $16M salary is far and away the likeliest outcome of this whole process, and I think the second likeliest outcome is a long term extension prior to the tag deadline. I view a trade as possible but certainly not the likeliest of scenarios.

I think the Ravens know there are many teams in the league that would have zero reservations about paying Judon $16M on a one year, or even on a long term deal, especially given the price tags of some of the players we've seen signed so far. What they don't know is whether a team is willing to give up a decent draft pick for the opportunity to pay that price.

They're likely seeing the same things everybody else saw... somebody was willing to do it for Dee Ford, who in my eyes isn't nearly as good of a player. Maybe they'll be able to get something similar. If not, I think they're fine keeping him as is.

I don't disagree with that by any means. I think the Ravens would prefer to keep him, but if the right offer came in, they'd pull the trigger.

My bigger qualm is just the idea that this whole trade is easy to facilitate, and that somehow we're walking away with another maybe equal type of pass rusher as well as a premium draft pick. That's a perfect world scenario that would require a lot of moving parts and a few bad moves from other teams along the way. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just think the overall idea of "trading Judon" makes a lot more sense to us than it would for virtually any other team.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Gorofolo said that Clowney isn't getting the market he expected and he could return to Seattle if that's his best offer. That'd take out the loudest team that's shown interest in Judon so far.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Judons staying. I really don't see someone like fowler as an upgrade so i'd not bother with that idea

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm all for bringing Jimmy back. My problem is this...

What does a "not big market" look like? I think a lot of people thought Jimmy could get a deal pretty similar to the one he was recently playing under (maybe a bit shorter)... probably around $10M a year on a 2-3 year deal. Obviously the Ravens aren't in that market, but just because he didn't sign in the first day or two doesn't mean that's not where his market is.

That being said... can the Ravens even afford to pay $6-7M a year? In my eyes... probably not. Maybe on a 3 year deal with a really low first year cap hit, but Jimmy's not the kind of player I want to commit to for more than a year or two, nor is it somebody I'd want to be pushing significant salary cap into the future on.

Like a "non-market" for a player like Jimmy, in my eyes, is still at least $6-7M a year. And the Ravens really can't afford just a one year, "prove it deal", because that'll be straight salary cap.

Like most, I'm of the mindset that the longer they're on the market, the lower the price goes. But I think if Ravens fans are thinking a hometown discount is like a $3-4M a year payday, I think they're sorely mistaken. I'm still expecting him to sign a 2-3 year deal in the $8-10M per year range. Still a lot of teams with a lot of cap to spend, and a lot of those teams need Corner help. Especially true of the teams that missed out on the Jones/Bradberry sweepstakes.
I'm thinking a hometown discount is in the area of 7 to 8m per yr (two year deal) and with Judon on the roster, not sure we can swing that deal. It would be great to have him back, but I have my doubts. He won't get more than 10 and if you look at last years older CBs they were less than 10m. Jimmy may not have the appeal to other teams because of his injury history. Jimmy himself said he is willing to give a hometown discount, but definitely wanted to see what his FA market was.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't disagree with that by any means. I think the Ravens would prefer to keep him, but if the right offer came in, they'd pull the trigger.

My bigger qualm is just the idea that this whole trade is easy to facilitate, and that somehow we're walking away with another maybe equal type of pass rusher as well as a premium draft pick. That's a perfect world scenario that would require a lot of moving parts and a few bad moves from other teams along the way. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just think the overall idea of "trading Judon" makes a lot more sense to us than it would for virtually any other team.
O I'll go on record right now... if the Ravens trade Judon, they will not be signing a really expensive rusher to replace him. Like maybe they sign somebody in the $8-10M range (I'm not even sure they'd go that high), but I'm not convinced that will even happen.

I think they'll use the money to sign multiple players to upgrade multiple areas. Namely, linebacker, interior Oline, and maybe even a WR. I also think they'd try much harder to retain Jimmy.

If they trade Judon, most of our pass rush capital is going to come from the draft, and likely in the form of multiple picks who will form a rotation of players they'll use. I'm not entirely convinced that Wink is hell bent on having like one really good rusher. I think he'd like to rotate a handful of guys and play them on like 50% of snaps and have a team full of guys getting like 6-8 sacks a year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Shame we cant gid rid of b.will. At least pierce pushes the pocket better and is younger.
getting rid of BWill will most likely happen next season when we can save over 10m in cap space. This year we only save 4.25m

Simba

Staff Member
O I'll go on record right now... if the Ravens trade Judon, they will not be signing a really expensive rusher to replace him. Like maybe they sign somebody in the $8-10M range (I'm not even sure they'd go that high), but I'm not convinced that will even happen.

I think they'll use the money to sign multiple players to upgrade multiple areas. Namely, linebacker, interior Oline, and maybe even a WR. I also think they'd try much harder to retain Jimmy.

Agreed to an extent. If you trade Judon, you still have to add another pass rusher. Unfortunately, that well is starting to dry up a bit too. You'd have to be content with a Jabaal Sheard, Markus Golden, Jordan Jenkins type being your #1 edge and praying that you strike it lucky in the draft. As many qualms as I have about Judon as a player, that's not exactly a risk I'd personally be willing to take.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree... it won't come for a 5th or 6th round comp pick. Gonna need to be for higher than that, and I don't think any of our players are going to qualify for anything higher than a 4th at this point, and that's probably stretching it.
If Pierce gets more than 11m, which I don't think he will, he would qualify for a 3rd rounder, but we already signed Brockers and they would cancel each other out. Not saying we won't have other players sign contracts with teams, but that's how it would be at the moment.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we end up striking a deal with Judon. Makes sense that we would. id like it to happen before too long where we get him at a reasonable rate with some good money up front. Go into the season with a good all around sam and draft a guy like greenard ..perhaps Kareem or the like. Im not comfortable with our rush backer #1 as Ferguson in year two. Even with Campbell, we absolutely need someone opposite a Judon

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
I think we end up striking a deal with Judon. Makes sense that we would. id like it to happen before too long where we get him at a reasonable rate with some good money up front. Go into the season with a good all around sam and draft a guy like greenard ..perhaps Kareem or the like. Im not comfortable with our rush backer #1 as Ferguson in year two. Even with Campbell, we absolutely need someone opposite a Judon
Greenard please and thank you.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Pierce gets more than 11m, which I don't think he will, he would qualify for a 3rd rounder, but we already signed Brockers and they would cancel each other out. Not saying we won't have other players sign contracts with teams, but that's how it would be at the moment.
Maybe. A lot of variables that will need to wash out for that to happen.

Based on what I see so far, I'm already seeing at least a dozen UFAs who have signed with another team with a contract north of $11M a year, and that list grows significantly at about $10M a year. While I'm sure many of those teams won't qualify as comp picks, I know the NFL isn't going to hand out like a half dozen third round comp picks.

So assuming Pierce's deal is anywhere close to Brockers, I think a 3rd round comp pick is pretty much out of the question at this point.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe. A lot of variables that will need to wash out for that to happen.

Based on what I see so far, I'm already seeing at least a dozen UFAs who have signed with another team with a contract north of $11M a year, and that list grows significantly at about $10M a year. While I'm sure many of those teams won't qualify as comp picks, I know the NFL isn't going to hand out like a half dozen third round comp picks.

So assuming Pierce's deal is anywhere close to Brockers, I think a 3rd round comp pick is pretty much out of the question at this point.
Although I understand there have been a bunch of 11m a year contracts this year, but just last year, the NFL awarded 10 3rd round comp picks. I'm not saying we will get that this year for Pierce. I highly doubt it actually.

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
I think Ravens should pass on trying to get a comp pick this season, and instead load up on talent. This is the year to go Super Bowl or bust.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
eric better nail this draft because i think our title window aspirations will start shrinking dramatically if not.

Simba

Staff Member
Good one. I like brockers a lot.

Replaces wormley.

my question is this though. Rams had Donald, Brockers, Fowler etc

so what was their issue last year vs us?

then why did we sign brockers? What purpose did it serve? Why didn't we upgrade elsewhere? we could just continue with what we had last year no?
We didn't upgrade our pass rush that much. We made it slightly better but not the point where it changed from a weakness to a strength
I undersrand campbell. Brockers? not so much

:lol: