• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Half of the last 8, I believe.

Flacco in 2012, Wilson in 2013, Wentz/Foles in 2017 (I think this counts) and Mahomes this past season.

That also doesn't include teams that made the SB with rookie deals but lost. Kaepernick in 2012, Wilson in 2014, and Goff in 2018.

I'm sure many people have seen the stats already, but here's what it looks like:
Starting with the 1994 season (first year of the NFL salary cap):
No team has ever won a SB having a QB taking up more than 13.1% of the teams salary cap. That high point is from 1994 with Steve Young.
Brady's cap hit in 2018 was actually one of the all-time highs, at 12.2%.

So while history is by no means a predictor of the future, if you were to extrapolate that over the current salary cap, It would mean that you effectively can't have a QB with a cap hit over $26M and expect to win a SB, based on historical data.
I believe flacco, brady and big ben also did it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
To still be able to stop the run, mostly. If we didn't sign Brockers, I'm assuming we would have made every effort to retain Pierce. If we did neither, how confident would you be that teams couldn't do to us what we do them, which is run for 150-200 yards a game on them?

You think a front 7 of Brandon Williams, Calais Campbell, and a group of largely backup linebackers like Fort, Bynes, etc. is going to stop any team that's effective in running the ball?

Heck, I'm looking just at our division. Browns bring in Stefanski, who loves to run the ball, and have a very formidable backfield in Chubb and Hunt. The last thing they're going to want to do is give Mayfield 600+ pass attempts.

The Steelers have an old QB, with a very limited receiving core, with major elbow problems. They don't even know if he'll be ready to play yet. You think their game plan is the 2018 version of Ben, who had 675 pass attempts?

And then you have the Bengals, who will be starting a rookie QB. You think their plan is 600+ pass attempts for a rookie in a division that fields three pretty good secondaries?

If I'm playing the Ravens, even now with Brockers, my game plan would be simple... pound, pound, pound. Its not going to be to test the secondary.

rushing attempts in and of themselves doesnt make you a good running team

the browns are a rushing threat to us right now, the steelers are not

and while historical wisdom would suggest that the bengals would want to run to protect their rookie qb i think you're going to see them borrow a lot from what he did in college just like the cardinals with kyler murray and that means putting the ball in his hands with receivers spread across the formation to create clearer pictures to read and allow him to make decisions based on those spread out formations so that the box isnt a muddle of question marks for him to worry about

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
rushing attempts in and of themselves doesnt make you a good running team

the browns are a rushing threat to us right now, the steelers are not

and while historical wisdom would suggest that the bengals would want to run to protect their rookie qb i think you're going to see them borrow a lot from what he did in college just like the cardinals with kyler murray and that means putting the ball in his hands with receivers spread across the formation to create clearer pictures to read and allow him to make decisions based on those spread out formations so that the box isnt a muddle of question marks for him to worry about
True, but you also don't need to be a good running team to be effective running the ball against a defense that can't stop the run.

If we didn't sign Brockers and let Pierce walk, and purely focused on pass rushers in the front seven, I would easily bet on teams like Cincy or Pittsburgh running for 120-150 yards on us everytime they played us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we end up striking a deal with Judon. Makes sense that we would. id like it to happen before too long where we get him at a reasonable rate with some good money up front. Go into the season with a good all around sam and draft a guy like greenard ..perhaps Kareem or the like. Im not comfortable with our rush backer #1 as Ferguson in year two. Even with Campbell, we absolutely need someone opposite a Judon

i like ferguson to develop this offseason but much like with boykin also (who i like to take a step in year 2) im not relying on them to make the jump i hope they make - build the team with the expectation that they wont improve and then make the most of it when they do improve anyway

not sure where the sweet spot is going to be with the edge rushers in this class - would be shocked if we didnt get at least one before the end of day 2

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let's get

1- Cesar Ruiz
2- Justin Jefferson
2 Troy Dye
3- Terrell Lewis ( value at this point)
3-Shane Lemieux

Go on eric..make it happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sure. But if he picks murray and/or Gross, You'll never ever hear the end...

dude if he picks murray most of us will be pissed off but the side benefit of all this inaction in free agency and making the 2 trades we did is that we have more picks in the first 2 days of the draft than any other draft in ravens history except 2008 - so the fate of this class doesnt actually just rest on that 1st pick

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nick Foles to the Bears for a late 4th round pick. What an epic failure of a deal that was just 12 months ago.

Sounds like the Chargers are expected to roll with Tyrod at QB also. Market for guys like Cam and Dalton is shrinking by the minute.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Fun fact for the bad QB contract monologues:

Jacksonville paid Nick Foles $30.5M for the following output:
0-4 record
736 yards
3 TDs, 4 turnovers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True, but you also don't need to be a good running team to be effective running the ball against a defense that can't stop the run.

If we didn't sign Brockers and let Pierce walk, and purely focused on pass rushers in the front seven, I would easily bet on teams like Cincy or Pittsburgh running for 120-150 yards on us everytime they played us.

i like the signings was just challenging the idea that those particular teams would run all over us without campbell AND brockers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nick Foles to the Bears for a late 4th round pick. What an epic failure of a deal that was just 12 months ago.

Sounds like the Chargers are expected to roll with Tyrod at QB also. Market for guys like Cam and Dalton is shrinking by the minute.

they have to say that - but they are clearly drafting a qb either at the 6th pick or trading up for one because there's no way they move into the new stadium with tyrod taylor as the starter lol - that would be the death knell of the franchise's ability to develop any buzz in LA

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
that would be unreal for the first 5 picks - the most unrealistic one though is jefferson being available at 55 but certainly other receivers will be available there

oh well..we could package a few later picks to move up from 55 to the early 40's to get jefferson. glad you like my picks.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
dude if he picks murray most of us will be pissed off but the side benefit of all this inaction in free agency and making the 2 trades we did is that we have more picks in the first 2 days of the draft than any other draft in ravens history except 2008 - so the fate of this class doesnt actually just rest on that 1st pick
If it were up to sami, that's all that really matters.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
you'd love my picks if i was GM. just saying...
you would have no depth. Once injuries occurred the team would fold. It's about team building, not star building

Again, next year play the forum mock. Lets see you balance a salary cap, make trades and draft ALL 7 rounds.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Let's get

1- Cesar Ruiz
2- Justin Jefferson
2 Troy Dye
3- Terrell Lewis ( value at this point)
3-Shane Lemieux

Go on eric..make it happen

Interesting you bring up Jefferson. I'm all in for Ruiz as our number pick, but if he's off the board, I was thinking about the value of Jefferson at 28. I'd feel decent about it.