• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sure. But if he picks murray and/or Gross, You'll never ever hear the end...
omg, atleast wait until after the draft to make these types of comments. Don't we have more important things to worry about in life than IF EDC drafts Murray...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well, ravens are looking a little silly right now. Jurrell Casey traded to broncos for a day 3 pick, contract is less than what Campbell is making with us.

god dammit that would’ve been HUGE.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, ravens are looking a little silly right now. Jurrell Casey traded to broncos for a day 3 pick, contract is less than what Campbell is making with us.

for a precious 7th round pick? no chance. Like eric said, it's a lottery ticket and we could get a gem like Marc Anthony ( kudos to those who remember)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

rather have Campbell than Casey and no way we could have both at this point anyway.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Haven't been here in a while but here are my thoughts.

-We've badly needed a guy like Campbell for a long time. I do not recall the last time we've had someone with his skill set. Ngata was more of a 1 tech who took up a lot of space. We haven't had a double-digit sack presence in the inside for as long as I can remember. I've been calling for a 3-tech and we got a guy like that in Campbell. He can also split into the 5-tech. Campbell in all honesty can play where ever you want him to.
Im hyped about Brockers as well. He has a combination of versatility and skill set that we have not had in a while since Ngata. This is a great signing.

I love the Hayden Hurst trade. To grab an extra 2nd in this draft class is huge. This is a deep class of WRs and we could put ourselves in position to grab a guy by moving up or staying put. Middle of the 2nd round is a good place to find a WR in this class.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
rather have Campbell than Casey and no way we could have both at this point anyway.
I’d rather have Casey than Campbell no question, that’s a long term building block for the same price or less and at a bigger position of need being a true 3tech.

I’d rather have Campbell and Casey, which we could’ve gotten for basically nothing and by only spending another 1m per year above what we’re paying brockers.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Haven't been here in a while but here are my thoughts.

-We've badly needed a guy like Campbell for a long time. I do not recall the last time we've had someone with his skill set. Ngata was more of a 1 tech who took up a lot of space. We haven't had a double-digit sack presence in the inside for as long as I can remember. I've been calling for a 3-tech and we got a guy like that in Campbell. He can also split into the 5-tech. Campbell in all honesty can play where ever you want him to.
Im hyped about Brockers as well. He has a combination of versatility and skill set that we have not had in a while since Ngata. This is a great signing.

I love the Hayden Hurst trade. To grab an extra 2nd in this draft class is huge. This is a deep class of WRs and we could put ourselves in position to grab a guy by moving up or staying put. Middle of the 2nd round is a good place to find a WR in this class.
Ngata was at his best as a 3tech and only became a NT to keep up with the scheme change. His rookie year was maybe his best year as a pass rusher and that’s not a coincidence, he was Rex Ryan’s pass rushing 3tech in the 4-3 front.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’d rather have Casey than Campbell no question, that’s a long term building block for the same price or less and at a bigger position of need being a true 3tech.

I’d rather have Campbell and Casey, which we could’ve gotten for basically nothing and by only spending another 1m per year above what we’re paying brockers.
well I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you. Is Casey younger, yes, but he's not the better overall player. Campbell gives us a more versatile player with not only excellent run defense, but interior pressure to boot.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
well I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you. Is Casey younger, yes, but he's not the better overall player. Campbell gives us a more versatile player with not only excellent run defense, but interior pressure to boot.
If this was 2017 I would take Campbell no question, but at this point it is true that we may get a lesser version of him, and for more money, even if that is a great player, I’d rather have a long term great player in Casey.

and beyond that, I’d rather have Casey over brockers and that shouldn’t even be a debate lol

Hypothetically did we have the capspace for Casey?

Campbell is massive and dominates with length, he has a rare skillset and he can lineup anywhere. Now Casey next to him would have worked but then we would have to play Brockers at DE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Campbell is also the better player now and the Ravens were obviously after a shorter term move. Clearly

Simba

Staff Member
The $11M number for Casey doesn't tell the whole story. Only $1M more than Brockers on an yearly basis, but you aren't getting the same structure we got for Brockers. $5M cap hit vs. $11M for Casey. Huge difference. I'm sure you could approach Casey about a restructure type of deal to guarantee him some money, but he's also got like $37M left on his deal.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
How many teams have won a SuperBowl with a QB on a rookie contract?
Half of the last 8, I believe.

Flacco in 2012, Wilson in 2013, Wentz/Foles in 2017 (I think this counts) and Mahomes this past season.

That also doesn't include teams that made the SB with rookie deals but lost. Kaepernick in 2012, Wilson in 2014, and Goff in 2018.

I'm sure many people have seen the stats already, but here's what it looks like:
Starting with the 1994 season (first year of the NFL salary cap):
No team has ever won a SB having a QB taking up more than 13.1% of the teams salary cap. That high point is from 1994 with Steve Young.
Brady's cap hit in 2018 was actually one of the all-time highs, at 12.2%.

So while history is by no means a predictor of the future, if you were to extrapolate that over the current salary cap, It would mean that you effectively can't have a QB with a cap hit over $26M and expect to win a SB, based on historical data.