• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I guess I’ll be the guy but we’re all forgetting the elephant in the room: Health. DHop, OBJ, Lamar, and Batemen can’t stay healthy. Have any of those guys even played a full season in the last three years? We shouldn’t be going to cap hell for injury prone 30+ year old WRs. I just don’t see DHop making any sense unless EDC is feeling desperate and a reckless.

Keep 19, keep throwing darts at the WR draft board. It will work with EDC in charge.
Health be damned. Bateman was healthy until he got to us. We've been wasting picks and seasons with these wrs we've been awful at drafting. Own up to the mistakes and get players you know you can't scout. That thinking (and a stubborn oc) is what got us to year 6 with only 1 wr going over 1k on Lamars rookie deal... and he's not even here anymore.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Health is the question for sure but it's also the idea of trying to keep DHop, OBJ, Bateman and Andrews happy. Bateman hasn't really accomplish a awhole lot but I doubt he's going to be happy to be The Ravens number 3 receiver if The Ravens do indeed add DHOP. I guess his opinion or feelings on the matter wouldn't necessarily count but it's the reality of the situation.
Dont forget likely. 1 of the TEs has to be on the move... if rumors are true

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Health be damned. Bateman was healthy until he got to us. We've been wasting picks and seasons with these wrs we've been awful at drafting. Own up to the mistakes and get players you know you can't scout. That thinking (and a stubborn oc) is what got us to year 6 with only 1 wr going over 1k on Lamars rookie deal... and he's not even here anymore.
Batemen and Hollywood are both solid guys when healthy. I think EDC really good at picking out early round talent at the skill positions. Ozzie , not so much

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess I’ll be the guy but we’re all forgetting the elephant in the room: Health. DHop, OBJ, Lamar, and Batemen can’t stay healthy. Have any of those guys even played a full season in the last three years? We shouldn’t be going to cap hell for injury prone 30+ year old WRs. I just don’t see DHop making any sense unless EDC is feeling desperate and a reckless.

Keep 19, keep throwing darts at the WR draft board. It will work with EDC in charge.
Some of us haven't forgotten it. Some of us aren't advocating for Hopkins at all.

But we need 7 studs for a $50M QB, so more, more, more.

What we really need to do is give up our first rounder next year for Hopkins, then select Flowers in the first this year.
And then package a couple later picks from this year and next year to move back into the second round this year to get like Mingo or really anybody who's a receiver.

Anything short of that is a total disaster in my opinion.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some of us haven't forgotten it. Some of us aren't advocating for Hopkins at all.

But we need 7 studs for a $50M QB, so more, more, more.

What we really need to do is give up our first rounder next year for Hopkins, then select Flowers in the first this year.
And then package a couple later picks from this year and next year to move back into the second round this year to get like Mingo or really anybody who's a receiver.

Anything short of that is a total disaster in my opinion.

it's gonna be so funny when you're wrong on this one lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Which part? I'm advocating for getting 7 elite playmakers for Lamar.

If I'm wrong, well, I got exactly what I wanted to begin with.

The world this board doesn't want to live in... a world where we land Hopkins and don't have a really good year. The 2024 offseason will be really ugly for many of you. Insufferable will seem like a vacation.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

The world this board doesn't want to live in... a world where we land Hopkins and don't have a really good year. The 2024 offseason will be really ugly for many of you. Insufferable will seem like a vacation.
Another thing to think about is Batemen’s future. How’s his attitude going to be when he becomes the 3rd/4th option with Andrews, DHop, OBJ, and himself. Add in our desire to establish JK and Bates targets will be really down. Is he still going to want to be here? He already called out EDC once on Twitter.

2024 could get ugly fast

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another thing to think about is Batemen’s future. How’s his attitude going to be when he becomes the 3rd/4th option with Andrews, DHop, OBJ, and himself. Add in our desire to establish JK and Bates targets will be really down. Is he still going to want to be here? He already called out EDC once on Twitter.

2024 could get ugly fast
Sure. Don't think anybody is concerned with his feelings though, since we need max redundancy with injury-risk WRs up and down the roster. Nevermind the fact that none of it matters if the franchise QB, who isn't under contract, doesn't play the whole season anyway.

We're not allowed to use the draft for what it was designed for anyway, since our history of drafting WRs is so shitty that we shouldn't even bother. Ignoring the fact that our history of FA WRs is still pretty shitty also.

Hence the "fuck them picks" approach and just land as many WRs as we can. Good one's, bad one's. Small one's, fat one's. Injured one's. Healthy one's. Expensive one's, cheap one's. Just get them in here.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sure. Don't think anybody is concerned with his feelings though, since we need max redundancy with injury-risk WRs up and down the roster. Nevermind the fact that none of it matters if the franchise QB, who isn't under contract, doesn't play the whole season anyway.

We're not allowed to use the draft for what it was designed for anyway, since our history of drafting WRs is so shitty that we shouldn't even bother. Ignoring the fact that our history of FA WRs is still pretty shitty also.

Hence the "fuck them picks" approach and just land as many WRs as we can. Good one's, bad one's. Small one's, fat one's. Injured one's. Healthy one's. Expensive one's, cheap one's. Just get them in here.
Except we aren’t saying that. We were happy to land Odell, and we really want hopkins, not for redundancy, but because then we’re talking about 3 targets that excel in bailing out the qb with tough catches, and we’re tired of seeing Lamar have to do it all himself or we lose.

Idk about others(but I could guess they’re in agreement) but I would want no parts of a receiver with one of our top picks if we also add hopkins, you’re not interested in hearing that though because then the hyperbole would have to stop. Wanting 3 quality receivers in 2023 is not outrageous, it’s the norm for the top teams, if you wanna beat the chiefs in the playoffs you gotta load up on weapons.

Simba

Staff Member

Do you still think this is funny? Because it’s not

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except we aren’t saying that. We were happy to land Odell, and we really want hopkins, not for redundancy, but because then we’re talking about 3 targets that excel in bailing out the qb with tough catches, and we’re tired of seeing Lamar have to do it all himself or we lose.

Idk about others(but I could guess they’re in agreement) but I would want no parts of a receiver with one of our top picks if we also add hopkins, you’re not interested in hearing that though because then the hyperbole would have to stop. Wanting 3 quality receivers in 2023 is not outrageous, it’s the norm for the top teams, if you wanna beat the chiefs in the playoffs you gotta load up on weapons.
lol I think setting the bar at "beat the Chiefs" is kind of dumb. Lets start with like beat the Bengals. Or something that involves winning like an actual playoff game first. We haven't earned the right to even have a conversation about the Chiefs.

If I want to beat the Chiefs, we have better weapons than them today. No Hopkins. No draft. Mahomes doesn't have a single receiver on his roster that's better than Bateman or OBJ. And we have a TE who's at least close to his level.

We've got the offense to beat the Chiefs today. You need people to be on the field. What we don't have today is anything close to a defense that's going to beat the Chiefs.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Wanting three quality WRs is definitely not outrageous, but it seems like we’ll be paying a premium and assuming a lot of risk.

I’m curious if we would be taking this approach if Lamar was already under contract.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wanting three quality WRs is definitely not outrageous, but it seems like we’ll be paying a premium and assuming a lot of risk.

I’m curious if we would be taking this approach if Lamar was already under contract.

Well especially when you consider that you effectively already have three quality WRs on the roster, in Bateman, OBJ and Andrews. I'm fine adding another, and think we should prioritize doing so. I'm just not interested in it being an expensive veteran who costs draft pick or picks and has similar durability concerns to the WRs already on the roster (and the QB for that matter).

We can talk all day about what the arbitrary quantity of receivers a $50M QB needs in order to be "bailed out" or whatever the hell that means. I know Josh Allen doesn't have three quality WRs on his team, I don't see frankly when he ever did, and I sure as shit know Mahomes didn't last year when he won the SB. He had Juju, who is the textbook definition of mediocre, Kelce, and whoever the hell stepped up week to week.

Hell I look at teams like SF and Philly, and I see two quality receivers and a really good TE. I see limited or non-existent depth. Somehow they managed to get it done, mostly through better health and coaching.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
For me, Hopkins or a WR at 22 is still on the table because I don't think Odell solves anything much at WR. I'm not confident that he puts up 400 yards and 3 TDs before the inevitable injury. If I was gambling I'd say he goes under that.

(I'm prepared to be mocked for this, but please, don't jump the gun when he has 300 yards and 2 TDs in early October - I'm half expecting that too - I just don't think the good times will last very long.)