• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
ZDS went against the grain of what would normally happen given his career history.

Anyhow whatever EDC does people on this board will find a way to praise the move rather than see it objectivly. ( ie brandon williams on the br,com forum)
this is very funny considering you rarely look at moves objectively

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ZDS went against the grain of what would normally happen given his career history.

Anyhow whatever EDC does people on this board will find a way to praise the move rather than see it objectivly. ( ie brandon williams on the br,com forum)
I’m sorry, but did you just imply the Brandon Williams signing was widely praised on our forums?

because that is absolutely untrue.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m sorry, but did you just imply the Brandon Williams signing was widely praised on our forums?

i remember being all in on rick wagner over bwill that offseason and being blown away by the money on bwill during that tampering period - was fully expecting once we hit the tampering window to lose all of the free agents and then we paid bwill that...

i was heated

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Was referencing the br.com forums.

I personally don't get the hate for the Williams contract. If you think we overpaid a DT who doesn't rush the passer, that's fine, except DT's that rush the passer better than BW aren't $10M a year players... they're typically $15M/year players, or more.

I think the bashing of BW contract has more to do with the fanbase's inability to adapt their arbitrary opinions about a rising salary cap, i.e. they think people should cost what they cost 10 years ago, with no growth.

If the complaints are with his cap number, most of that is on the FO for (again) restructuring contracts multiple times, and continuing to kick the can down the road with some of their larger contracts on the roster. Has less to do with bad contract, and more to do with bad cap management and poor structure.

I've seen what the Ravens run defense looks like without BW out of the lineup... average would be a huge compliment. I have no issue paying 5% of the salary cap (on average) for a player who's impact on a key segment of the game is noticeably significant.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I personally don't get the hate for the Williams contract. If you think we overpaid a DT who doesn't rush the passer, that's fine, except DT's that rush the passer better than BW aren't $10M a year players... they're typically $15M/year players, or more.

I think the bashing of BW contract has more to do with the fanbase's inability to adapt their arbitrary opinions about a rising salary cap, i.e. they think people should cost what they cost 10 years ago, with no growth.

If the complaints are with his cap number, most of that is on the FO for (again) restructuring contracts multiple times, and continuing to kick the can down the road with some of their larger contracts on the roster. Has less to do with bad contract, and more to do with bad cap management and poor structure.

I've seen what the Ravens run defense looks like without BW out of the lineup... average would be a huge compliment. I have no issue paying 5% of the salary cap (on average) for a player who's impact on a key segment of the game is noticeably significant.

you're right that partly it was the structure of the deal that made it a bad deal (he had an avg of over 10m/yr but a first year hit of 3m) - but he was also the highest paid nose tackle in the league despite not being that type of player

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you're right that partly it was the structure of the deal that made it a bad deal (he had an avg of over 10m/yr but a first year hit of 3m) - but he was also the highest paid nose tackle in the league despite not being that type of player
You don't think he was at or close to being the best NT in the league at the time?

As with all large contract signings, I put the same caveat that's been pretty much 100% true for about a decade now... rarely is the actual "best player" (arbitrarily defined by fans) the highest paid player at their position. Where you "rank" in terms of output compared to your peers, and where you "rank" in terms of compensation compared to your peers, rarely coincide with each other.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently the Jets, Ravens, and Bears are having intense talks with Jimmy...

Does he want mediocrity and a big pay day or a smaller pay day for another ring?
now we shall see how smart Jimmy is. He knows and likes this organization and has said he'd be willing to give a home town discount, but how much of a discount is what I don't know.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

The br.com forums specifically disliked the bwill contract for the most part, because he was a 1 dimensional 2 down NT and he’s simply not worth it, especially when we were stuck under flacco

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d still take Robby Anderson on a one year deal if he’s willing to drastically lower his asking price. Him, Hollywood and a rookie (1st round?) WR would provide a lot of weapons for Lamar

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I’d still take Robby Anderson on a one year deal if he’s willing to drastically lower his asking price. Him, Hollywood and a rookie (1st round?) WR would provide a lot of weapons for Lamar

The receiving class in the draft is just that more impressive, plus you get them on rookie deals that won't break the bank like it would for Robby. I'd like to see if he is interested in a one year prove it deal, one year here and he goes off? He'd cash in next year in FA for sure and we would rake in a sweet compensatory pick.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
The receiving class in the draft is just that more impressive, plus you get them on rookie deals that won't break the bank like it would for Robby. I'd like to see if he is interested in a one year prove it deal, one year here and he goes off? He'd cash in next year in FA for sure and we would rake in a sweet compensatory pick.
That’s what I’m thinking. I just want to surround Lamar with as much talent as possible. Plus it’s not even a given we select a WR on day 1 or 2

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

You have to consider why would Robby Anderson want to accept a one year deal to be apart of The Ravens offense. I know The Ravens offense was pretty good and that Lamar Jackson won MVP award but that doesnt change the fact that The Ravens offense isnt really all that wide receiver friendly. Greg Roman offense really has never been that type of offense. He never even had two receivers have more than 600 receiving yards at the same time in his offense.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The br.com forums specifically disliked the bwill contract for the most part, because he was a 1 dimensional 2 down NT and he’s simply not worth it, especially when we were stuck under flacco
General rule of thumb about being a Ravens fan... go the exact opposite direction of what people on BR.com think. If they love something (like Noah Spence)... sprint the other direction. If they hate something, there's like a 80% chance it will be a great move.

These guys aren't known for their football knowledge.