• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
anyone remember that convo lamar and jmad after the game when lamar told him that he owes him money lol.. i wonder if lamar told him that he was gonna get ball out this season.. shit, or even motivated jmad to not accept the contract and bet on himself

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Generally agree. Just mostly pointing out how the FO is going to look at things. If keeping JM is the priority (or really true with Queen also), and you're considering the FT or even a long-term extension, there's going to have to be cuts. Restructures won't be enough. And the guys I listed are the one's who make the most sense from a cut standpoint. There's a large contingent of our roster that basically can't be cut, due to size of the contract or the fact that they're cheaper on rookie deals.

Stanley will be interesting. I don't think he could get $15M elsewhere, so the option of "cashing in" I'm not certain is available to him. He would also be taking a huge risk that IF the Ravens opt to do nothing and keep him, and then find themselves taking a LT in the first round or somehow higher in the draft, he becomes a cut casualty immediately after that as a post-June 1. In which case he then heads to a FA market that is 3 months stale and post-draft, meaning many teams have filled their needs. It's a pretty big risk for him to take.
I don't disagree, and I know that if you want to keep Madibuike, tough decisions have to be made. I just don't think the Ravens roster is in a spot to make those moves. I could be totally wrong, though.

As for Stanley- I would be shocked if he got $15M on the open market. It would actually blow my mind. However, only $8M in savings? I suppose the post June 1st savings would be more enticing, but the question at that point would be what moves would the Ravens even want to make? Cutting him with that designation would be more of a curtousy to him than anything.

I just can see a world where nothing happens with Stanley this year and he's gone next. I think for $8M, you kind of suffer through one last season of a bad contract and bite the bullet next year because offensive line play across the league is so bad in general and you can do much worse than Stanley on your roster.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
I do expect Bowser to be cut, but I'm iffy on Ricard. Could see that one going either way. I do not see Hill being a cap casualty when it would leave the Ravens with zero healthy running backs on the roster and the Ravens have clearly shown they value Hill and his skillset. I'd also be surprised at a Moses cut because he's been really solid when healthy (and he is drastically healthier than not) and that would mean the Ravens aren't potentially turning over their entire line.

I certainty hope they re-sign Zeitler and OBJ, but I could see a world where they view Zeitler as too old and don't want to commit a long-term contract, but he wants one. I think they'll definitely try to work something out with OBJ. I think he loves being here and reports are the locker room loves him. He's also definitely stepped up recently, so I'd think he'll be back. Otherwise, the Ravens are left with Zay, Bateman, and Wallace and I don't think they want that.

I imagine they'll ask Stanley to take a paycut, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him decline. The Ravens aren't getting a quality replacement at $8M and Stanley almost assuredly knows he's gone in '24, anyway. Might want to cash in for a final year. Plus, I don't think the Ravens want impending holes at LG, RG, and LT. I also don't think they want Mekari starting there. I imagine they love his versatility too much to want to put him in the starting role if they can avoid it.
What do you think happens with agholor?

Simba

Staff Member
THE JAKE FUNK ERA IS HERE
1703017241272.png

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't disagree, and I know that if you want to keep Madibuike, tough decisions have to be made. I just don't think the Ravens roster is in a spot to make those moves. I could be totally wrong, though.

As for Stanley- I would be shocked if he got $15M on the open market. It would actually blow my mind. However, only $8M in savings? I suppose the post June 1st savings would be more enticing, but the question at that point would be what moves would the Ravens even want to make? Cutting him with that designation would be more of a curtousy to him than anything.

I just can see a world where nothing happens with Stanley this year and he's gone next. I think for $8M, you kind of suffer through one last season of a bad contract and bite the bullet next year because offensive line play across the league is so bad in general and you can do much worse than Stanley on your roster.
I mean if we're talking cap hits, I think you can find an OT for $8M cap hit that would do at least as well. You could argue Mekari is probably 80% of what Stanley is, and he doesn't cost $8M in cap space. The cap hit is just a one year number, so even if I were to sign somebody for $12-14M AAV in FA, I could easily structure at a year 1 cap hit of $8M.
For him, it'll likely come down to cash instead of cap. Is the owner going to pay him $15M to play like this (and potentially not even be a starter)? Or does the FO think another offseason of rest/recovery and training will make him better? I don't know the answer to that either.

I think the FT for JM is troublesome, but it can be done. If they're as concerned about that as they were with Lamar, then using void years solves all their problems.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
When it comes to Stanley he's due 15 mil next year so hell yeah you have to approach him about a pay cut. Say 11 mil or we're cutting. He knows damn well he's not having a good year and he's made a lot of bank sitting. Maybe turn the 4 mil into incentives but somethings got to give and no way we can give an extension.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well would point out that restructures aren't the only option. If you cut Bowser, Ricard, and Hill, that's $12M in cap savings alone. Paycuts would also be obvious discussions for all three of those guys.
I probably wouldn't do it if we're moving on from Stanley, but cutting Moses is a possibility also. That's $5.5M in savings, and you have Mekari and Faalele on the roster for cheaper.

In addition, there are cap reductions to be had (in the short term) if you sign extensions with some of your expiring guys (OBJ, Zeitler, namely. OBJ in particular you could be cutting his cap hit in half nearly if you get him to agree to stay on a much cheaper contract.

And speaking of paycuts, I wouldn't take the idea of Stanley being asked to take a paycut off the table either. He's owed $15M next year, and I don't know if he could get that on the open market with his injury history and performance this year. A better overall "outcome" would be to broach Stanley for a paycut, keep him, and draft a Tackle at some point in the draft (meaning it doesn't have to be a first rounder).

The one true thing we don't know is if the Ravens will continue to use void years (my guess is they won't). If they're willing to do max void years on many deals, like they did with OBJ, for example, they can really do whatever they want.

i think void years are clearly a tool
i think they were forced to use them on more contracts than they'd have wanted to last year, dont think they'll blanket stop using them - just think that when they use them it'll be for a deal like a potential madubuike deal

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean if we're talking cap hits, I think you can find an OT for $8M cap hit that would do at least as well. You could argue Mekari is probably 80% of what Stanley is, and he doesn't cost $8M in cap space. The cap hit is just a one year number, so even if I were to sign somebody for $12-14M AAV in FA, I could easily structure at a year 1 cap hit of $8M.
For him, it'll likely come down to cash instead of cap. Is the owner going to pay him $15M to play like this (and potentially not even be a starter)? Or does the FO think another offseason of rest/recovery and training will make him better? I don't know the answer to that either.

I think the FT for JM is troublesome, but it can be done. If they're as concerned about that as they were with Lamar, then using void years solves all their problems.

Tbf Stanley was playing fine earlier in the year - the knee injury this season has really derailed his year

Obviously has no track record of staying healthy and clearly isn’t an all-pro even when healthy anymore but I imagine their hope is that he can regain his earlier 2023 form moving into 2024 and also draft a tackle to be insurance and/or play next to him at LG before taking over in a hypothetical future