• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
lol Tag is definitely possible through restructures and extensions. Tag will be roughly 19-20 million, any long term deal he signs is going to be in the 22-25 million annual range. Cutting Stanley post 6/1 saves us 15 million alone , we’ll be fine
You realize a post June 1st cut doesn't kick in until... after June 1st, so it doesn't help with the Ravens immediate need for cap space to even tag him...

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
You realize a post June 1st cut doesn't kick in until... after June 1st, so it doesn't help with the Ravens immediate need for cap space to even tag him...
…. Yes

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
you knows who’s out there? A Badie who runs 4.4… call his ass and tell him to jump practice squad.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
lol Tag is definitely possible through restructures and extensions. Tag will be roughly 19-20 million, any long term deal he signs is going to be in the 22-25 million annual range. Cutting Stanley post 6/1 saves us 15 million alone , we’ll be fine
After you cut Stanley for 15m and restructure everyone you can for about another 10-13m and pay the tag on JM you now now 12-15m with which you need to sign your draft picks (so a nice chunk of that) plus replace your starting LT (so with a scrub because you have no money) the starting RG, multiple DL starters, and accept a downgrade at MLB with Queen being gone, and accept that you are now worse at WR because Bateman is now WR2 again for a year again before leaving. You basically cant fix all of that if you sign JM. So if you sign him, then you do have a solid 8-12 sack guy for the next couple years but in exchange, but in exchange you will be far worse on the OL, worse at WR, worse at LB, and probably not that much better overall on the DLine because you are downgrading the rest of it.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
After you cut Stanley for 15m and restructure everyone you can for about another 10-13m and pay the tag on JM you now now 12-15m with which you need to sign your draft picks (so a nice chunk of that) plus replace your starting LT (so with a scrub because you have no money) the starting RG, multiple DL starters, and accept a downgrade at MLB with Queen being gone, and accept that you are now worse at WR because Bateman is now WR2 again for a year again before leaving. You basically cant fix all of that if you sign JM. So if you sign him, then you do have a solid 8-12 sack guy for the next couple years but in exchange, but in exchange you will be far worse on the OL, worse at WR, worse at LB, and probably not that much better overall on the DLine because you are downgrading the rest of it.
OverTheCap and RSR's salary cap guy have the predicted salary cap at $13M-$15M for the Ravens in 2024. That's before any moves with roughly 20 impending free agents, several of who contributed significantly to this season. The defensive tackle franchise tag is $20M and must be accounted for in the cap immediately.

The Ravens can't even tag Madibuike as it stands now, but sure, let's restructure contracts to be able to get under the cap to sign him. And then let's hope there's any money left over at all to fill the rest of the holes on the roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
OverTheCap and RSR's salary cap guy have the predicted salary cap at $13M-$15M for the Ravens in 2024. That's before any moves with roughly 20 impending free agents, several of who contributed significantly to this season. The defensive tackle franchise tag is $20M and must be accounted for in the cap immediately.

The Ravens can't even tag Madibuike as it stands now, but sure, let's restructure contracts to be able to get under the cap to sign him. And then let's hope there's any money left over at all to fill the rest of the holes on the roster.
Madubuike is a large part of the roster. You can’t leave your cornerstone players unsigned because you’re scared to lose other players, that’s football and if you are going to build a contender you need elite players at key spots plus depth, it’s just gonna take trading and stacking draft picks to maintain, we’re in a different phase of team building now that Lamar is signed, but letting star players walk to keep a stable of veteran role players is not a winning formula, I’ll take a backloaded rams-like approach over the 2013-2018 ravens where we spent our remaining cap space on one aging vet after another, thinking it would get us over the playoff hump.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
Madubuike is a large part of the roster. You can’t leave your cornerstone players unsigned because you’re scared to lose other players, that’s football and if you are going to build a contender you need elite players at key spots plus depth, it’s just gonna take trading and stacking draft picks to maintain, we’re in a different phase of team building now that Lamar is signed, but letting star players walk to keep a stable of veteran role players is not a winning formula, I’ll take a backloaded rams-like approach over the 2013-2018 ravens where we spent our remaining cap space on one aging vet after another, thinking it would get us over the playoff hump.

The Lamar window is 3-4 years (tops) including this one. Dude takes all the hits of a Qb and a running back. Absolutely go all in and pay the devil in '27-'28. I don't know if that means signing Beeks. Oweh and Stephens are breakout guys you can sign get for less than what Beeks will make. You also have an OLine that needs a pretty big overhaul.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Lamar window is 3-4 years (tops) including this one. Dude takes all the hits of a Qb and a running back. Absolutely go all in and pay the devil in '27-'28.

If Lamar continues to run the way he is running now and protecting himself then I can see him playing at a high level into his early 30s.

Cam Newton tried running over guys

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well would point out that restructures aren't the only option. If you cut Bowser, Ricard, and Hill, that's $12M in cap savings alone. Paycuts would also be obvious discussions for all three of those guys.
I probably wouldn't do it if we're moving on from Stanley, but cutting Moses is a possibility also. That's $5.5M in savings, and you have Mekari and Faalele on the roster for cheaper.

In addition, there are cap reductions to be had (in the short term) if you sign extensions with some of your expiring guys (OBJ, Zeitler, namely. OBJ in particular you could be cutting his cap hit in half nearly if you get him to agree to stay on a much cheaper contract.

And speaking of paycuts, I wouldn't take the idea of Stanley being asked to take a paycut off the table either. He's owed $15M next year, and I don't know if he could get that on the open market with his injury history and performance this year. A better overall "outcome" would be to broach Stanley for a paycut, keep him, and draft a Tackle at some point in the draft (meaning it doesn't have to be a first rounder).

The one true thing we don't know is if the Ravens will continue to use void years (my guess is they won't). If they're willing to do max void years on many deals, like they did with OBJ, for example, they can really do whatever they want.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Lamar continues to run the way he is running now and protecting himself then I can see him playing at a high level into his early 30s.

Either way, Lamar is not gonna be this good forever. Whether it's because of the runs or not, his prime is now. The Rams are a great example of what you should do. Sure, you might regress after the super bowl or whatever, but a SB is a SB and they are looking like they'll be contenders again next year.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad

There's only been a very small handfull of like for like Qb's with Lamar. Cunningham, Vick, Steve Young, maybe Gannon. None of them were able to do it for more than 7-8 yrs at top level. All of them played into their mid 3o's because they had long breaks from play in their careers.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I actually disagree with the idea Lamar won’t be this good forever. He could certainly be because this year it’s not his running but his dancing that has made him extremely dangerous. No he won’t always have the speed but I’m not sure it will drop off a cliff or anything. Every person is different, he’s been lethal this year though because he hasn’t just ran but stays back, buys time, and makes completions. In a way he is acting like a more agile Roethlisberger. If Lamar continues to expand his pocket abilities and accuracy he will be good for as long as he plays when his body slows down

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
And speaking of paycuts, I wouldn't take the idea of Stanley being asked to take a paycut off the table either. He's owed $15M next year, and I don't know if he could get that on the open market with his injury history and performance this year. A better overall "outcome" would be to broach Stanley for a paycut, keep him, and draft a Tackle at some point in the draft (meaning it doesn't have to be a first rounder).

The one true thing we don't know is if the Ravens will continue to use void years (my guess is they won't). If they're willing to do max void years on many deals, like they did with OBJ, for example, they can really do whatever they want.

Agreed on Stanley, even if you draft a guy at the bottom of 1st rd it's unlikely you can just plug that rookie in day 1. The Ravens will probably be stuck trying to restructure Stanley and hold their nose on him in '24.

I'm actually feeling OBJ giving the Ravens a discount/very friendly contract to stay. Not like his stats are gonna get him something huge on the market and I think he's digging B-more/Jackson.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I actually disagree with the idea Lamar won’t be this good forever. He could certainly be because this year it’s not his running but his dancing that has made him extremely dangerous. No he won’t always have the speed but I’m not sure it will drop off a cliff or anything. Every person is different, he’s been lethal this year though because he hasn’t just ran but stays back, buys time, and makes completions. In a way he is acting like a more agile Roethlisberger. If Lamar continues to expand his pocket abilities and accuracy he will be good for as long as he plays when his body slows down

Russell Wilson comes to mind

Baltimorican

Practice Squad

Again, no need to make the Roth comparison, just remember what late Vick & late Cunningham were like. I wouldn't count on more than 3-4 yrs of elite play, if he wants to stick around after that he'll probably be a mid tier starter to high end backup.

What he did against Jacksonville? That doesn't have a long shelf life. Dude took an awful lot of shots, ravens better get that bye cuz my man is coming out of this stretch sore.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Lamar window is 3-4 years (tops) including this one. Dude takes all the hits of a Qb and a running back. Absolutely go all in and pay the devil in '27-'28. I don't know if that means signing Beeks. Oweh and Stephens are breakout guys you can sign get for less than what Beeks will make. You also have an OLine that needs a pretty big overhaul.
Oweh is walking after his 5th year option. Someone will give him an absurd contract based on potential and well be correct in letting him go

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Again, no need to make the Roth comparison, just remember what late Vick & late Cunningham were like. I wouldn't count on more than 3-4 yrs of elite play, if he wants to stick around after that he'll probably be a mid tier starter to high end backup.

What he did against Jacksonville? That doesn't have a long shelf life. Dude took an awful lot of shots, ravens better get that bye cuz my man is coming out of this stretch sore.

We have no way of knowing until Lamar starts to age. I can tell you that of all the mobile QB's he's more like Wilson than Vick and Newton. He is 4th on the all time list and will pass 3rd by the end of the year in a fraction of the games.