• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still don't get it, if his ankle injury was serious then did LA sign him immediately to a similar deal? I doubt Clowney is/was a potential target.

It’s about a few things: we couldn’t do a physical with him so any worrying thing that turns up on an independent medical check can’t be re-checked by our staff, Brockers was also already part of the rams so they have a high level of comfort with his medicals already - and even if that wasn’t the case he’s local enough that they can check him themselves without violating any of the nfl guidelines for free agency during covid-19

Reactions: cdp

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
It could. I also wonder if Ingram will regress. Justice hill showed nothing and running backs usually show a lot more as rookies than most.

We were not proactive this FA. You can't afford to be stagnent. Teams can go from being 14-2 to 8-8 VERY EASILY.

I thought Justice Hill looked better later on in the season. Not sure if rookie running backs show more than most but one thing for sure they are still rookies

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
for what its worth I just had a look at all the PFF DT/DE's

Shelby Harris is number 17 overall
Michael Brockers is 23 overall

Harris is younger (28) and had an elite season last year ( 91 grade) and a good season this year. (77)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know a lot of you don't like the pessimism from Sami, because he's extremely hard to please, but don't you think he's right on this one? I'm talking losing Brockers. To me that seems like a huge blunder. And that's why I posted a page ago, my default reaction is EDC has something in store in FA, because if he doesn't, I really think this was a big big mistake. Look at the tune of everyone now. They're being pretty pragmatic and saying maybe we should move back on the draft when yesterday we were talking about moving up. I know it's one piece, but now we have a huge hole at a position we didn't have last year on top of the ones we already had.

Not really a blunder given that we addressed it - its not our fault he failed the physical with us... and maybe other’s views have changed but mine has not at all - when Brockers was signed that was already a surprise and now it’s as if he never did - the only free agent we missed out on because of this is ndamukong suh who wasn’t going to make or break our season

Good teams build through the draft and that was always where we were gonna do the bulk of our work this offseason

And while Sami is all pessimistic we don’t actually have huge holes on this team - we have a hole at ILB, 3T and IOL but we want to upgrade other positions too - but there’s a difference between having no talent and wanting to upgrade and in sami’s view basically the entire roster is a need

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It could. I also wonder if Ingram will regress. Justice hill showed nothing and running backs usually show a lot more as rookies than most.

We were not proactive this FA. You can't afford to be stagnent. Teams can go from being 14-2 to 8-8 VERY EASILY.
No, it can't. No Guard in the history of football, regardless of how great they were, causes a team to lose 6 additional games. In the modern NFL, no player outside of QB has anywhere close to that kind of impact on a football team. We've won playoff games with backup interior line play and James Hurst at LT. It's by no means a show-stopper.

Its going to take many players not playing as well for that to happen. Could it happen? Yes. We could sign Clowney and he could miss half a season or more, or just not play that well, which wouldn't surprise anybody either. This notion of FA acquisitions automatically upgrading a team isn't rooted in fact.

Adding bodies or replacing players isn't always the answer to improving a football team. The majority of teams that improve on a year-over-year basis don't improve because they make a bunch of additions. They improve because the players they already have on the roster just simply play better.

There's areas on this team that can pretty easily improve with no additions whatsoever. WR being one, interior Oline being another. Does it mean we'll add zero players to those groups? No, highly likely that we do.

I wholeheartedly agree that teams that stay the same usually get worse. But that kind of assessment can't be made in March, because it'll be an inaccurate assessment most of the time.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Also, I couldn't care less about our RB situation. This offense doesn't really care who the RB is. If Justice Hill got Ingram's volume, we wouldn't be talking about concerns about him.

RBs are a dime a dozen. We made Alex Collins and Gus Edwards look like world-beaters. From a total yardage/contribution side, I expect our running game to be worse than last year. It would be pretty difficult for it to actually be better, and as is the case with evolving QBs, I expect us to throw it at least a bit more every year.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I couldn't care less about our RB situation. This offense doesn't really care who the RB is. If Justice Hill got Ingram's volume, we wouldn't be talking about concerns about him.

RBs are a dime a dozen. We made Alex Collins and Gus Edwards look like world-beaters. From a total yardage/contribution side, I expect our running game to be worse than last year. It would be pretty difficult for it to actually be better, and as is the case with evolving QBs, I expect us to throw it at least a bit more every year.

I am also expecting a drop in the running as Lamar progresses. Unless Gus takes it to another gear

Simba

Staff Member
Per ..., Brockers didn't get as much money as it appears on the surface. 2 years + option for $24M, with $7.5M available in escalators. Only $7.5M guaranteed. Not a strong deal at all compared to what he would have gotten here. Would lead me to believe that we weren't the only ones concerned if he took that deal.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can someone tell me where this puts us with the cap? Not that we lost Brockers, is there anyone out there worth looking at or making a trade for?

Clowney? Ehhh

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
One more thing. Zach Sieler really came along at Miami. I didn't like how we hardly gave him a look in. i liked his potential a lot more than lord chris wormley

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lord Brandon williams ( i apply the word lord to how some players are worshiped by the FO and Fans) now that i'm in PFF was ranked

drum roll

67th overall.

His run D grade was 70.

his pass rush grade was 57

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lord Brandon williams ( i apply the word lord to how some players are worshiped by the FO and Fans) now that i'm in PFF was ranked

drum roll

67th overall.

His run D grade was 70.

his pass rush grade was 57

Wasn't he playing out of position?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
They’ve got zero depth, big holes and no draft capital to bring in young players

They are not even remotely close to being like us

we have all those things too except we have draft capital

but the problem is eric is picking the players...