• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
All in the guaranteed money and how they structure that. Roster bonuses and guaranteed base salaries are much more prevalent now, while the signing bonus typically isn't eating as much. It makes it much easier to get out of that contract at the end if it doesn't work out. Lots of teams are putting most of the guarantees in the first 2 years as opposed to spreading it out now.
That's been the way its been for years though... most contracts aren't guaranteed at all beyond year 2.

The difference is the usage of the signing bonus. If you want to backload a deal, you gave a huge signing bonus up front and prorate it, so you're lower in the first year and bigger on the back end.

Smarter teams have reduced their signing bonus payouts or eliminated them all together. We're getting better at it, but this franchise was notorious during the Flacco era of giving out large signing bonuses in lieu of smaller year 1 salaries, which essentially pushed dead money into future years, and cost us in the long run if the player didn't pan out (which happened a lot).

Again, that MIGHT make sense if you are expecting a larger-than-normal cap increase in the following year. But that typically doesn't happen.

If anybody wants to know what a bad contract structure looks like (even worse than Joe's first deal), go look at Jared Goff. The Rams are getting ready of half their roster, and its not because they need the space to sign Ramsey. Its because Jared Goff has a $36M cap hit this year, and he costs $26M more against the cap than last year. That's happening because they went very low with base salaries in the first two years, and structured his deal with a lot of roster bonuses, including a $21M one this year.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's been the way its been for years though... most contracts aren't guaranteed at all beyond year 2.

The difference is the usage of the signing bonus. If you want to backload a deal, you gave a huge signing bonus up front and prorate it, so you're lower in the first year and bigger on the back end.

Smarter teams have reduced their signing bonus payouts or eliminated them all together. We're getting better at it, but this franchise was notorious during the Flacco era of giving out large signing bonuses in lieu of smaller year 1 salaries, which essentially pushed dead money into future years, and cost us in the long run if the player didn't pan out (which happened a lot).

Again, that MIGHT make sense if you are expecting a larger-than-normal cap increase in the following year. But that typically doesn't happen.

If anybody wants to know what a bad contract structure looks like (even worse than Joe's first deal), go look at Jared Goff. The Rams are getting ready of half their roster, and its not because they need the space to sign Ramsey. Its because Jared Goff has a $36M cap hit this year, and he costs $26M more against the cap than last year. That's happening because they went very low with base salaries in the first two years, and structured his deal with a lot of roster bonuses, including a $21M one this year.

To be fair its also because they want all in in free agency and tried to buy a Super Bowl and then tried to do it using more of their picks to trade for players and spend money they needed to go all in instead spend resigning talent.

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member

Of course, but that's why Stanley at $20M/year plus a similar cap hit this year is doable.

Also worth noting that we have like $90M in cap space next year with not many FAs outside of Stanley to pay. Of course, that $90M will go down a lot because we don't the draft picks in yet and we don't have 51, but that's still plenty to take a lesser hit this year, maybe a higher one next year, and then flatten it out.

Main point is that the cap is not stopping us from locking Ronnie up if we wanted to. I think we're absolutely okay with using the franchise tag if we have to, but if the opportunity presented itself today to get a deal done, they could get it done and not have to worry about clearing cap space this year to make it happen.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I am happy with the free agents we signed (Campbell, Wolfe, Jimmy, etc.). I am happy tagging Judon. If EDC plays this draft smart, I think we could be a much improved team, i
People just assume the bong video is why Tunsil dropped, but I personally disliked him as a prospect compared to Stanley.
I agree, I thought that Stanley was better than Tunsil in pass protection and I was pleasantly surprised that we chose him, because he was my favorite Tackle. I was very happy with the pick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of course, but that's why Stanley at $20M/year plus a similar cap hit this year is doable.

Also worth noting that we have like $90M in cap space next year with not many FAs outside of Stanley to pay. Of course, that $90M will go down a lot because we don't the draft picks in yet and we don't have 51, but that's still plenty to take a lesser hit this year, maybe a higher one next year, and then flatten it out.

Main point is that the cap is not stopping us from locking Ronnie up if we wanted to. I think we're absolutely okay with using the franchise tag if we have to, but if the opportunity presented itself today to get a deal done, they could get it done and not have to worry about clearing cap space this year to make it happen.

And that's all fine. I don't put much stock into looking at next years cap space before the current offseason is even finished, mostly because this time last year we were talking about having like $60M in cap space available, and that never turned out to be remotely true. Players will sign extension, we'll retain players, and draft picks and others will eat into that space, long before next March even gets here.

My point is if you've got the cap space, flatten it all the way out. I'd love to see in NFL contract for 4 years, $80M that includes $20M cap hits each year. Regardless of structure, you'd still have the ability to get out from it after 2 years anyway.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Prediction floating around that the Steelers could let JuJu walk next offseason. Too bad we’ll have a few key players to re-sign. I’d pay him in a heartbeat.

Also saw Joey Bosa could be a possibility for the Ravens next offseason lol. The football season can’t get here soon enough. I’m so bored
You know what? If you're gonna speak this into existence throughout the season, I want to be part of the bandwagon early lol.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
You know what? If you're gonna speak this into existence throughout the season, I want to be part of the bandwagon early lol.
LOL! Sorry in advance

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Idk if I’m included, but early on like from December to March I was repeatedly mocking Stanley to us over the likes of bosa and Ramsey and was getting tons of shit for it and I was defending it.
I can't remember all the details but I know @Inqui started Stanley bandwagon thread early in the process.

2016 I wanted Bosa, he was regularly mocked to us but from memory the Chargers hid their interest in him. I was also hoping we would trade our 2017 pick for him when he held out.

Stanley has been a Godsend, I wasn't convinced when we drafted him but he had clear medicals so I was happy. A lot of us were shocked when we took him over Tunsil, who was in freefall.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Where's @Inqui? We led the Ronnie Stanley fan club
I remember that, with the exception of like 4 of us, Stanley was the pre-draft pick everyone loved to hate. I remember gabefergy was one critic, but the number of mentions he got in the "black dots" thread that year and the amount of people saying he was a college star who'd be out of his depth in the pros was astounding. And that's to say nothing of the geniuses who frequented (and still frequent) the BR.com News articles.

On draft day I took no small amount of pleasure in watching people suddenly say they'd been lifelong fans.

Simba

Staff Member
I remember that, with the exception of like 4 of us, Stanley was the pre-draft pick everyone loved to hate. I remember gabefergy was one critic, but the number of mentions he got in the "black dots" thread that year and the amount of people saying he was a college star who'd be out of his depth in the pros was astounding. And that's to say nothing of the geniuses who frequented (and still frequent) the BR.com News articles.

On draft day I took no small amount of pleasure in watching people suddenly say they'd been lifelong fans.

I remember you and I in particular were in on him early and never wavered. The feet, man. The feet. So good.

Only time I ever had Tunsil higher was in my mock pre-draft and pre-bong where I thought teams would rank Tunsil higher, but he never once ranked higher on my personal board.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I loved Stanley and can prove it with my 1st round pick in the Forum Mock. I had the Chargers and traded down to pick 6 or 7 and took Stanley. I also liked him better than Tunsil.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. Very funny.
2. Even if it did happen, would it really be that big of a deal?

I could find worse backups than Joe. I could still find worse starters than Joe (probably). If our starter wasn't the polar opposite of him in terms of skill sets, I'd be more than happy with him as a backup.