• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
People think we're unhappy with Earl for two reasons:
1. He doesn't force a lot of turnovers, and really never has. He also played a lot more deep free safety in Seattle, and we play a split-safety look, which is different for him. Took him time to adjust.
2. Many fans blame mostly him for the debacle at home against Cleveland. Fans and ignorant media have a tough time praising a player who has one noticeably bad game.

it just feels more shocking that it's coming from another nfl team's executive - just a high level of ignorance for someone who's job likely involves at least some form of conceptualising and scouting pro players on other teams for various teams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
it just feels more shocking that it's coming from another nfl team's executive - just a high level of ignorance for someone who's job likely involves at least some form of conceptualising and scouting pro players on other teams for various teams
there definitely is a reason our backend was so good last year. Yes he started off slow, but that wasn't all due to ET. This exec needs to get his act together.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
1. He doesn't force a lot of turnovers, and really never has. He also played a lot more deep free safety in Seattle, and we play a split-safety look, which is different for him. Took him time to adjust.
2. Many fans blame mostly him for the debacle at home against Cleveland. Fans and ignorant media have a tough time praising a player who has one noticeably bad game.
I usually don’t sour on a player after one bad game, but I wasn’t sad to see Lee Evans or Billy Cundiff go....lol.... and don’t even get me started on David Reed.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The debacle in Cleveland was far more on Tony jefferson than anyone. Earl pulling up was perfectly fine, he’s not catching him so seriously what’s the point...

Maybe tony jefferson should’ve had an ounce of discipline and that situation would’ve never occurred in the first place, if he approached the alley with an ounce of football sense he would’ve contained and made the stop for no gain or a loss, instead he tried to hit a home run despite having not the slightest idea as to where the play was going.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The debacle in Cleveland was far more on Tony jefferson than anyone. Earl pulling up was perfectly fine, he’s not catching him so seriously what’s the point...

Maybe tony jefferson should’ve had an ounce of discipline and that situation would’ve never occurred in the first place, if he approached the alley with an ounce of football sense he would’ve contained and made the stop for no gain or a loss, instead he tried to hit a home run despite having not the slightest idea as to where the play was going.
Jefferson also had the green dot that game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It seems brutal to say but TJ going down probably had a bigger impact on our D’s success than even the additions of peters and jimmy and Bynes and fort
yep and we've said it before. So we owe last season to TJ in a backwards kind of way.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
It seems brutal to say but TJ going down probably had a bigger impact on our D’s success than even the additions of peters and jimmy and Bynes and fort
I've something similar to that, I hate to think of it that way but it helped a ton with Chuck Clarke emergance.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've something similar to that, I hate to think of it that way but it helped a ton with Chuck Clarke emergance.
and he was a 6th round pick. He's a valuable defensive player and a huge reason our defense was as good as it was last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the derek wolfe quotes today have been really interesting - saying at one point he was going to put in a trade request to try and get to the ravens at the deadline last year but decided not to

Dumervil and Flacco been saying great things about the organisation to him - he and flacco were breakfast buddies all last year and that was the sort of stuff they would sometimes talk about, dumervil he said was like a big brother

just interesting that he's had the ravens earmarked for a while

especially with our (apparent) interest last offseason too

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the derek wolfe quotes today have been really interesting - saying at one point he was going to put in a trade request to try and get to the ravens at the deadline last year but decided not to

Dumervil and Flacco been saying great things about the organisation to him - he and flacco were breakfast buddies all last year and that was the sort of stuff they would sometimes talk about, dumervil he said was like a big brother

he thought he would be drafted by the Ravens in 2012

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I'm telling you, man, the Broncos-to-Ravens connection might be a thing. Dumervil, Brandon Marshall (LB), almost Philip Lindsay, Wink, and now Wolfe.

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Wolfe is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I feel like he was born to be a Raven

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven't thought of Dumervil since he left, but it's crazy how many former Ravens keep recommending other players to Baltimore. I'm really glad we have such a great organization here.

It’s wild - like we just cut TJ and yet he’s still helping Calais Campbell decide he wants to be here and not to worry about holding us over a barrel for his extension

So often the guys recommending have also been vets who didn’t begin their career here - dumervil, TJ, weddle, Steve Smith etc etc

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
It’s wild - like we just cut TJ and yet he’s still helping Calais Campbell decide he wants to be here and not to worry about holding us over a barrel for his extension

So often the guys recommending have also been vets who didn’t begin their career here - dumervil, TJ, weddle, Steve Smith etc etc
It blows my mind everytime.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ve said the same from day one. And when I went back and re watched some early games it just confirmed it entirely, he was the worst player on either side of the ball, well it was between him, young, and averett at least, but at least they had the excuse of being young and they were backups, This guy was a green dot vet with a big contract. He was James hurst levels of bad.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Rumors that Cleveland is in on clowney.

we should pony up to sign him just to make sure that doesn’t happen, he is a nightmare for our offense, his athleticism and ability to blow past a block and chase and disrupt in the backfield is gonna be a game changer when we play them in big games twice a year. He was an absolute handful when we played Seattle