• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Superstar's fudge up all the time b.
absolutely and I don't give a crap about his twitter account. He underrated on the Ravens and that's because he hasn't had 10 sacks or some say he should have had more sacks due to how often we rush, not considering how often Judon is asked to drop into coverage.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It actually makes me so incredibly happy that no one threw 20 mil+ at clown man. Far to optimistic but it would be really interesting if teams stopped just inflating the fuck out of every player's contract just because they have the cap to do it.
Check out these contracts from 2009. It's insane how much inflation has taken over the last decade.
Don't get me wrong, I am 100% for the players getting their worth. But that doesn't mean every mediocre player needs to set the market year after year.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2009/
I mean... the salary cap is up over 60% since 2009.

So even on an average basis, we'd expect player salaries to be 60% higher.
Highest QB salary in 2009 was $22M. A 60% inflation rate would bring you to just over $35M in present day, which is currently where the highest AAV's are for QBs.

QB probably isn't the best example, because that position's value has skyrocketed over the last decade, and the "middle" tier of QBs inflation rates are much higher than 60%.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
JAAM I respect you, but please don't mention Ingraven - he's clueless.
Judon couldn't care less when/if we do sign Clowney. Judon's salary is guaranteed and he could easily sign a long-term deal elsewhere if he was traded. Signing Clowney only decreases our return
I just hope Clowney signs SOMEWHERE soon so I can move on with my life lol, but I think this’ll go on for a while unfortunately. And I barely watch Ingraven’s videos, but the one thing that stood out to me is the point he made about Boyle last year when we had an offer on the table and he took his time and then we were interested in a TE all of the sudden (can’t remember who) then Boyle signed with us. I’m wondering if the leaked interest in Clowney is just telling Judon to hurry up and possibly tell the Ravens what his future plans are

Reactions: cdp

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
look im going to keep this simple

Is he irreplaceable? is he a top 5 player in his position? Is he elite at anything? Does he want to get paid like a top 3 Edge Rusher?

If the answers are all yes then pay him

If the answers are no aside from him wating to be paid like a top 3 edge rusher than let him go

If the answers are no and he doesnt want to get paid like a top 3 edge rusher than negotiate.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
look im going to keep this simple

Is he irreplaceable? is he a top 5 player in his position? Is he elite at anything? Does he want to get paid like a top 3 Edge Rusher?

If the answers are all yes then pay him

If the answers are no aside from him wating to be paid like a top 3 edge rusher than let him go

If the answers are no and he doesnt want to get paid like a top 3 edge rusher than negotiate.
I think if you're trying to equate compensation to where they arbitrarily "rank" among their peers, its an argument you'll lose at a 100% accuracy rate. It really doesn't matter where he arbitrarily "ranks" among his peers. It matters where he arbitrarily ranks compared to other options of players available.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think if you're trying to equate compensation to where they arbitrarily "rank" among their peers, its an argument you'll lose at a 100% accuracy rate. It really doesn't matter where he arbitrarily "ranks" among his peers. It matters where he arbitrarily ranks compared to other options of players available.

can his production be drafted and/or found in FA next year?

We've let go of better players that were harder to replace than Judon.

Let him go.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Judon is a 12-13m type of player like 4 years ago, realistically he’s a 16m type and we as fans of a usually frugal team aren’t in tune with the market.

last year we all thought of ZDS as a 10m type of guy, the market dictated he was a 17m type, and we thought he got overpaid as fuck but it turned out the market was right, but point is that we clearly don’t know shit about the edge rusher market lol

we havent paid top of the market for an edge rusher since terrell suggs 2nd contract (averaged just over 10m in 2009)

that would definitely contribute to why we feel like edge rushers now are getting overpaid - because we've not had to pay market value for an edge rusher in over a decade

the franchise tag for an EDGE is almost double what it was when we tagged sizzle in 2008

rossihunter2

Staff Member
can his production be drafted and/or found in FA next year?

We've let go of better players that were harder to replace than Judon.

Let him go.

the edge rushing classes in college have not been great recently and im not sure there's many answers in next year's class either - and free agency rarely yields quality edge rushing talent

we let go of edge rushers in the past because they were easier to replace with better market and draft options - but also because we had sizzle locked into a deal

Reactions: cdp

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
the edge rushing classes in college have not been great recently and im not sure there's many answers in next year's class either - and free agency rarely yields quality edge rushing talent

we let go of edge rushers in the past because they were easier to replace with better market and draft options - but also because we had sizzle locked into a deal
We need to luck out in someone like Justin Houston in 3rd round.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

Find value elsewhere. I'm sorry but paying matt judon like hes an elite OLB will stink in the same way we paid brandon williams...Williams is still a slightly better DT than Judon is OLB

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we tried with tim williams

man im so sad about that because he legitimately is the most talented pure edge rusher we've drafted in a long long time but the only way you get a chance at guys like that is if there's problems and you just have to take the risk and unfortunately he didnt work out

was one of my favourite ever prospects on tape since i started watching

i've been really lucky in the last 3-4 draft classes that some of my favourite guys in each draft class have become ravens: tim williams, lamar jackson, hollywood, justin madubuike

some other guys i had draft crushes on (with seemingly realistic expectations) but didnt come to baltimore in that same period: ahkello witherspoon, corey davis, derek barnett, marcus davenport, will hernandez, isaiah wynn, anthony miller, fred warner, chauncey gardner-johnson, deebo samuel, aj brown, cody ford

and its fairly well documented who i loved this year: jonathan greenard, bryan edwards, amik robertson, denzel mims

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean... the salary cap is up over 60% since 2009.

So even on an average basis, we'd expect player salaries to be 60% higher.
Highest QB salary in 2009 was $22M. A 60% inflation rate would bring you to just over $35M in present day, which is currently where the highest AAV's are for QBs.

QB probably isn't the best example, because that position's value has skyrocketed over the last decade, and the "middle" tier of QBs inflation rates are much higher than 60%.
Yea I'm totally okay with the top staying top, but Dak's reported offer of 175 mil... hahah

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not to mention we could have tried with Terrell Lewis, too.
I would’ve liked to see us end up with Terrell Lewis, I thought he was risky and for more than health reasons, but I thought if there was any team who he could shine with it was us, I don’t see Lewis as a pure edge rusher but more of a rush weapon ala McPhee, though much lighter. He just seemed to do his best work on stunts and secondary rushes bringing that second wave of pressure, which is a skill set that would be put to good use here