• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, when we run into another brick wall similar to Henry in the playoffs and Judon completely whiffs, I hope everyone keeps this same energy. If you’re paying someone 16 million, he better make those kinds of tackles.

Judon whiffs Or Clowneys Injured and on the bench. Both are possible outcomes lol.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the more i think about it, the more i think Fluker was actually a lowkey great signing. i think hes always needed the right coach to unlock his potential, i think Joe D is that guy considering hes already done it once. yeah i feel like fluker is gonna run away with the RG job and maybe see himself keep it a little while.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the more i think about it, the more i think Fluker was actually a lowkey great signing. i think hes always needed the right coach to unlock his potential, i think Joe D is that guy considering hes already done it once. yeah i feel like fluker is gonna run away with the RG job and maybe see himself keep it a little while.

could do - he's definitely a fit in our offence stylistically - but i think he's only on a 1 year deal

then again he's only 29 years old and we've made serviceable linemen out of far worse pedigree before

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Let’s agree to disagree, kind sir

You got to wonder why is Clowney still available especially if he's a super star. Not often are those type of players available at this point and time. Usually even if their asking price is high they still end up getting over paid. You would think that even with his medical concerns a team would want to sign him to some what of his asking price especially when this year draft class at edge rusher was poor and he clearly was / is the best free agent edge rusher.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
could do - he's definitely a fit in our offence stylistically - but i think he's only on a 1 year deal

then again he's only 29 years old and we've made serviceable linemen out of far worse pedigree before
doesnt have to remain a 1 year deal. if he plays well like i think he very well could, he could get himself a little extension, add 2 years maybe on a team friendly deal, he fits the bill of a guy we would do that with

You got to wonder why is Clowney still available especially if he's a super star. Not often are those type of players available at this point and time. Usually even if their asking price is high they still end up getting over paid. You would think that even with his medical concerns a team would want to sign him to some what of his asking price especially when this year draft class at edge rusher was poor and he clearly was / is the best free agent edge rusher.

I find it to be strange too.

Not related to the quote, but I'm 50/50 on him, and almost willing to say let's just see what kinds training camp cuts we can possibly find.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Couple of things at play that I see:
1. Definitely medical checks are playing a factor. He gets hurt a lot, and teams want to find out if he's still got issues or have chronic issues.
2. What is "meeting somewhat of his asking price"? Like he was obviously in the $18-20M range prior, and now he's nowhere near that. So what's the price now?
Let's arbitrarily say its $12-13M a year. Maybe only half of NFL teams can actually afford that right now. They just don't have the cap space. 16 of the 32 NFL teams have less than $15M in available cap space, which means they couldn't sign Clowney to a contract unless they shifted some money around, i.e. made cuts, most likely.
3. Honestly, its a smart move by Clowney and his agent to not sign right now. How would his deal get any worse? Draft is over, free agency has been picked clean, and what's going to change in the next 3-4 months that will make his market go down? If his medicals end up being a problem, they were going to be a problem a month or two ago, so nothing will have changed.
If he gets the same deal in May that he gets in June or July, then you sign in June or July. If anything, he'll wait until training camp (if there is one) and pray some team loses a great pass rusher to injury.

At this point, the likelihood of him getting a multi-year-guaranteed deal in 2020 is almost none, so why the rush to sign?

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
It actually makes me so incredibly happy that no one threw 20 mil+ at clown man. Far to optimistic but it would be really interesting if teams stopped just inflating the fuck out of every player's contract just because they have the cap to do it.
Check out these contracts from 2009. It's insane how much inflation has taken over the last decade.
Don't get me wrong, I am 100% for the players getting their worth. But that doesn't mean every mediocre player needs to set the market year after year.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2009/

A1A

Veteran
I can't believe you guys are hating on Judon so much...like guys don't make mistakes. Let me guess yall rather pay a duechebag like Garrett 100+ million. Smh. Just remember Marshawn Lynch shook Ray out his cleats 1v1....shit happens that L wasnt on Judon. I blame coach on that one. We should have won the SB.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I can't believe you guys are hating on Judon so much...like guys don't make mistakes. Let me guess yall rather pay a duechebag like Garrett 100+ million. Smh. Just remember Marshawn Lynch shook Ray out his cleats 1v1....shit happens that L wasnt on Judon. I blame the coaches on that one. We should have won the SB.
No, I never liked Garrett as a person ever since he said pre-draft that he wanted to play for Dallas. And duh, of course that loss wasn’t solely on Judon, but if you want/are getting 16 million or north of it, you better make that tackle every damn time. I’ve always thought of Judon as a 12 or 13 million kind of player. He’s solid but unspectacular, and definitely doesn’t wreck game plans.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No, I never liked Garrett as a person ever since he said pre-draft that he wanted to play for Dallas. And duh, of course that loss wasn’t solely on Judon, but if you want/are getting 16 million or north of it, you better make that tackle every damn time. I’ve always thought of Judon as a 12 or 13 million kind of player. He’s solid but unspectacular, and definitely doesn’t wreck game plans.
Judon is a 12-13m type of player like 4 years ago, realistically he’s a 16m type and we as fans of a usually frugal team aren’t in tune with the market.

last year we all thought of ZDS as a 10m type of guy, the market dictated he was a 17m type, and we thought he got overpaid as fuck but it turned out the market was right, but point is that we clearly don’t know shit about the edge rusher market lol

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Judon is a 12-13m type of player like 4 years ago, realistically he’s a 16m type and we as fans of a usually frugal team aren’t in tune with the market.

last year we all thought of ZDS as a 10m type of guy, the market dictated he was a 17m type, and we thought he got overpaid as fuck but it turned out the market was right, but point is that we clearly don’t know shit about the edge rusher market lol
Good points. I still don’t know how ZDS did what he did for the Packers because we all know what happens when defensive players leave our system and join another team. Maybe it was a one year thing for him? And I agree on your statement in another thread where you said you’d be pounding the table for Clowney if we traded Judon for a 2nd during the draft but obviously that didn’t happen. Ingraven on YouTube believes the “interest” in Clowney is so Judon will show his hand and hurry to at least get an extension done because it somewhat shows we can live without him with Clowney still available. I think the re-signing of McPhee made the thought of Judon and Clowney playing opposite of each other (which I wouldn’t mind at all) a pipe dream at this point. Granted, Schefter follows the guy that broke the news.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good points. I still don’t know how ZDS did what he did for the Packers because we all know what happens when defensive players leave our system and join another team. Maybe it was a one year thing for him? And I agree on your statement in another thread where you said you’d be pounding the table for Clowney if we traded Judon for a 2nd during the draft but obviously that didn’t happen. Ingraven on YouTube believes the “interest” in Clowney is so Judon will show his hand and hurry to at least get an extension done because it somewhat shows we can live without him with Clowney still available. I think the re-signing of McPhee made the thought of Judon and Clowney playing opposite of each other (which I wouldn’t mind at all) a pipe dream at this point. Granted, Schefter follows the guy that broke the news.
JAAM I respect you, but please don't mention Ingraven - he's clueless.
Judon couldn't care less when/if we do sign Clowney. Judon's salary is guaranteed and he could easily sign a long-term deal elsewhere if he was traded. Signing Clowney only decreases our return

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

There's a middle ground though. A team like GB can get Smith a $17M/year contract, because they guaranteed very little of it. They didn't even guarantee his base salary in his first year... the only guaranteed money he got was a $20M signing bonus.

Teams would pay Judon $20M a year if all they had to do was guarantee $20M of it. Heck, the Ravens would have done that deal two months ago.

Judon, on the open market, gets double the guaranteed money that ZaDarius got, and that could even be with an equal or less AAV.