• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
See I don't really disagree with what most of you are saying. I'm just saying that I doubt any executive sees the prospect of paying any player whose not a quarterback 23 million dollars as obvious. That's all I'm saying. I think it would be highly irresponsible to make decisions thinking like that. This is why as much as I think it makes a lot of sense to trade up for Ceedee Lamb, I'm not the GM lol. And I'm not saying the rest of you are acting like you are. I'm just saying I don't think Eric thinks this is an obvious decision as in he doesn't really have to think about it. Just my perspective

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See I don't really disagree with what most of you are saying. I'm just saying that I doubt any executive sees the prospect of paying any player whose not a quarterback 23 million dollars as obvious. That's all I'm saying. I think it would be highly irresponsible to make decisions thinking like that. This is why as much as I think it makes a lot of sense to trade up for Ceedee Lamb, I'm not the GM lol. And I'm not saying the rest of you are acting like you are. I'm just saying I don't think Eric thinks this is an obvious decision as in he doesn't really have to think about it. Just my perspective

from the way he talked about this offseason and creating cap space (and using a potential ronnie or judon extension as the only 2 options) it would suggest that he's made up his mind and it'll be down to when... (as long as ronnie wants to stay here)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gonna be hard to use the 80/20 rule to replace Stanley. If Stanley gets 20m per year, you’re gonna have to find a player producing 80% of Stanley for 4m per year.

you cant find that, unless you draft a day 1 elite LT at the end of the first round
Was typing the same thing as I read this.

The only where you're getting 80/20 for Stanley is with a draft pick, which likely means a first rounder. And that's a top half of the draft kind of pick from what we usually see. Maybe even top 10.

Only two ways to get a pick that high... lose a bunch of games, or trade for it. The latter requires more assets than just 80/20.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't disagree. If the Ravens offered Stanley $23M two months ago, he would have signed in 5 seconds (assuming length and guaranteed money was on par). But that changes now.

It's entirely possible that it becomes a Mosley situation... the market just gets out of hand. He hits FA next year, we don't franchise, and he gets $25M offers from other teams. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he signed long term at or maybe even a little less than what Tunsil got. I think it'll have a 2 in front of it, but if he signed for $20-21M a year too, it wouldn't surprise me.

I do have a hard time understanding this idea from some fans of taking a "hard stance" on certain numbers. Like you're OK with 22M, but 24M is too high. What are you going to do with the extra 2M? Its one thing if you have the guy valued at 20 and somebody offers 25+.

I also think fans pretend like these decisions are made with every guy on the roster. That if you pay 10% more for every player than you wanted to, you'll end up broke. I don't see that. I'm pretty sure when discussing the latest CBA, people had stats that like over 60% of your roster was made up of guys on rookie or UDFA deals, meaning they're already largely at pre-determined slots.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Who else thinks there should be comp picks in the 2nd round?
that is not going to happen and I don't think it should either. Teams will strongly conisder not resigning players if they thought they could get a 2nd round pick in return, imo.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
that is not going to happen and I don't think it should either. Teams will strongly conisder not resigning players if they thought they could get a 2nd round pick in return, imo.

well, it would be like an early 3rd to be more honest.
I think for massive contracts and also taking into account he was a first round pick the compensation works.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's entirely possible that it becomes a Mosley situation... the market just gets out of hand. He hits FA next year, we don't franchise, and he gets $25M offers from other teams. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

there's no way in hell we wouldnt franchise him - now whether he would play under the franchise tag is a different question - but absolutely no way he doesnt get franchise tagged if we dont have an extension in place

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
there's no way in hell we wouldnt franchise him - now whether he would play under the franchise tag is a different question - but absolutely no way he doesnt get franchise tagged if we dont have an extension in place

Absolutely you have franchize tag him. You could trade him for good capital if it comes down to it but no way can we let him walk for a 3rd rd comp. If we're talking about extensions it would be smart to do it during the season and leave salary as is for this season. It might also be a good move to see what the cap looks like for next year. Not sure with this virus if the cap will go up.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't see judon signing this tag.

I really dont see why he wouldnt. I mean really in his case why do it now? He hasnt made much money from a football standpoint as a 5th rd pick and we talking 15.8 mil. He could sit out training camp tho but that would give us a chance to look at some younger talent............like John Daka lol. Also a veteran edge will be cut sometime later and if we sign him for reasonable money that could put the heat on Judon.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know nothing of john daka. Reminds me potentially of that victor ochi guy from stonebrook we had a while ago

nothing more wonderful than finding a gem UDFA edge rusher

but that's the rarest position to find a gem in UDFA.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know nothing of john daka. Reminds me potentially of that victor ochi guy from stonebrook we had a while ago

nothing more wonderful than finding a gem UDFA edge rusher

but that's the rarest position to find a gem in UDFA.

I watched the FCS championship game and he had a very solid game. When we signed him then I remembered him. Just kinda picking my favorite udfa.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don't disagree. If the Ravens offered Stanley $23M two months ago, he would have signed in 5 seconds (assuming length and guaranteed money was on par). But that changes now.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he signed long term at or maybe even a little less than what Tunsil got. I think it'll have a 2 in front of it, but if he signed for $20-21M a year too, it wouldn't surprise me.

I do have a hard time understanding this idea from some fans of taking a "hard stance" on certain numbers. Like you're OK with 22M, but 24M is too high. What are you going to do with the extra 2M? Its one thing if you have the guy valued at 20 and somebody offers 25+.

I also think fans pretend like these decisions are made with every guy on the roster. That if you pay 10% more for every player than you wanted to, you'll end up broke. I don't see that. I'm pretty sure when discussing the latest CBA, people had stats that like over 60% of your roster was made up of guys on rookie or UDFA deals, meaning they're already largely at pre-determined slots.

I completely agree with everything you just said.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m confused about the Franchise Tag. If Judon doesn’t sign it, he technically can’t play a snap?

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I watched the FCS championship game and he had a very solid game. When we signed him then I remembered him. Just kinda picking my favorite udfa.
From what I remember, Judon was the FCS sack leader the year we drafted him. It would be ironic if we replaced him with the current FCS sack leader because he didn't sign his tender

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m confused about the Franchise Tag. If Judon doesn’t sign it, he technically can’t play a snap?

He can sign it 10 games in and get 6 games worth of salary to accrue a season. Leveon Bell did it but I dont think Judon will do that since he was only making 5th rd salary before that. A lot of money to give up.