• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jimmy is becoming one of my all time favorite ravens. This man keeps getting hurt and rehabbing and keeps coming back and playing like a top 3 defender on this team and just keeps taking cheap deals and staying with his team. He’s awesome

i think after he got no bites last offseason and we brought him back he realised he would probably be finishing his career here

think this'll be how business gets done - we'll re-up him every year until we don't and that'll likely be when he decides to hang up his boots

Simba

Staff Member
Also fuck yeah DeCosta once again. I love Ozzie but he was much more passive in letting these types of guys get to FA to see their market. DeCosta don't care. If there's a guy he wants to keep, he's working around the clock to try to get that extension done. Locked up quite a few guys early last year and it looks like we'll be pushing the same this year. Derek Wolfe could be next, which would be huge.

Simba

Staff Member
And one last note... I hope this helps out the S depth next year. Assuming health (I know that's difficult) you now have Humphrey, Peters, Young, and Averett as your top 4 CBs with Jimmy as the hybrid. They used him a lot more at S early this season so I would imagine they hope to do the same again next year. Injuries forced him back to CB, and they clearly went as long as possible without moving him back.

CB: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Averett, slot draft pick, Dorsey/Bonds/Harris/Marshall
S: Clark, Elliott, Smith, STer, maybe a draft pick

Could really open up the dime usage again. And please stack some CB depth on the PS again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also fuck yeah DeCosta once again. I love Ozzie but he was much more passive in letting these types of guys get to FA to see their market. DeCosta don't care. If there's a guy he wants to keep, he's working around the clock to try to get that extension done. Locked up quite a few guys early last year and it looks like we'll be pushing the same this year. Derek Wolfe could be next, which would be huge.

EDC has clearly shown he understands that prices only go up the longer you wait and especially if you wait until the offseason because that's when deals go crazy

there's a tax that you pay as a franchise by negotiating in the free agency tampering window - EDC avoided that almost entirely last offseason by trading for Campbell just before it started... we got lucky on Brockers because we paid a premium for him and ultimately we got Derek Wolfe and Justin Madubuike instead and I much prefer that outcome

the easiest ways to retain your guys are:

1) sign them early
2) create an environment they want to stay in

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And one last note... I hope this helps out the S depth next year. Assuming health (I know that's difficult) you now have Humphrey, Peters, Young, and Averett as your top 4 CBs with Jimmy as the hybrid. They used him a lot more at S early this season so I would imagine they hope to do the same again next year. Injuries forced him back to CB, and they clearly went as long as possible without moving him back.

CB: Humphrey, Peters, Young, Averett, slot draft pick, Dorsey/Bonds/Harris/Marshall

Could really open up the dime usage again. And please stack some CB depth on the PS again.

we need a DB to add to that group - probably a safety

it's become incredibly obvious this week with the release of Geno Stone that we really don't have anything behind Clark and Elliott - and even if we do want to move Jimmy back to that hybrid role, he's not gonna be starting at safety if one of the starters does go down

+ we have to start thinking about replacing Deshon Elliott who'll be in a contract year in 2021

makes sense to see if we can't find a DB we really like - now if they happen to be a nickel/safety hybrid type guy then even better

Simba

Staff Member
EDC has clearly shown he understands that prices only go up the longer you wait and especially if you wait until the offseason because that's when deals go crazy

there's a tax that you pay as a franchise by negotiating in the free agency tampering window - EDC avoided that almost entirely last offseason by trading for Campbell just before it started... we got lucky on Brockers because we paid a premium for him and ultimately we got Derek Wolfe and Justin Madubuike instead and I much prefer that outcome

1) sign them early

All it takes is one team, and I think DeCosta realizes that. I mean, look at Suggs a couple of years back. They thought for sure that he was coming back, but he happened to get an offer from the one team that he would have left for at the time. Why risk that at all if you can get them locked up now? I know Jimmy in particular has expressed his desire to be here, but who's to say that an offer closer to his CA hometown couldn't sway him? Now, nothing to be concerned about if you get him at the price you want.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

1) sign them early

As important as signing early is, I feel your 2nd point is the most important. It allows them to take a discount and not be too upset about it, ie Jimmy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As important as signing early is, I feel your 2nd point is the most important. It allows them to take a discount and not be too upset about it, ie Jimmy.

not so much a discount as just them treating the guys well enough (both personally and financially) that there isn't much curiosity about what's behind door number 2

and getting guys who've seen behind door number 2 already and come here - to stay here

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Derek Wolfe confirming that his agent is talking about an extension with the front office

EDC is absolutley killing it. We don't have really any big names that are going to be free agents that we have to worry about. Judon we know is gone for sure and we'll collect that third round comp pick in 2022 for him. Skura, I can take it or leave it when it comes to him. He's good most of the time, obviously the cut on his hand impacted his play a bit this year but if we moved on from him I'd have no problem with it. I'd like to see Gus get a 3-4 year extension with the team since it's clear Gus & JK will be the RBs moving forward. Otherwise I think if we get Wolfe locked in, we'll be set.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EDC is absolutley killing it. We don't have really any big names that are going to be free agents that we have to worry about. Judon we know is gone for sure and we'll collect that third round comp pick in 2022 for him. Skura, I can take it or leave it when it comes to him. He's good most of the time, obviously the cut on his hand impacted his play a bit this year but if we moved on from him I'd have no problem with it. I'd like to see Gus get a 3-4 year extension with the team since it's clear Gus & JK will be the RBs moving forward. Otherwise I think if we get Wolfe locked in, we'll be set.

why are you so sure judon's gone?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Left Kearse out, don’t sleep on that signing, he could very well be Winks type of safety where he may not have excelled in a more traditional defense, and zimmer and Patricia are certainly more traditional than wink

Simba

Staff Member
Left Kearse out, don’t sleep on that signing, he could very well be Winks type of safety where he may not have excelled in a more traditional defense, and zimmer and Patricia are certainly more traditional than wink

He could definitely be that "STer" spot I had allotted if they re-sign him. Wouldn't be shocked if they move on from a guy like Levine if they can keep a guy like Kearse who would potentially have more of a defensive role.