• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Dangerous game to be playing, in my opinion. Remember, in order to get comp picks, you have to net qualifying free agent losses.

Ravens are certainly going to be needing to sign some FAs this offseason to fill some of their holes. So the only way to make sure you get a comp pick back is to make sure you're not signing a lot of guys.

Realistically, while we have a large FA class, I'm not sure many of them are going to qualify for comp picks. Its early to tell obviously, but like its basically Yannick, Judon, and Bowser who would actually fetch high or decent price tags on the market, and I'm assuming we will keep at least 1 of those guys.

Other than that, I'm not sure where the comp picks are coming from. Snead, Jimmy maybe, but that's assuming a) we let them walk (I think Snead gets re-signed) and b) they have a decent market. Jimmy's market was terrible last year, and I can't see how that's increased. Even Wolfe would be suspect... he's only making $3M this year, and while I think he's played well, I'm not sure his market would increase. A $3M free agent lost is like a fringe 6th/7th round comp pick, at best.

I think a lot of our FAs leaving are going to be roster minimum or just barely above roster minimum type players, meaning they're not going to qualify most likely.

If its me, I'm deciding between Judon and Yannick, letting the other walk, and then letting Bowser hit the market to determine value. If somebody is going to give him like $10M+ or something absurd, I'll gladly take a 4th or 5th round pick for him.

they dont have to qualify to be included in the formula though as long as they're signed before the cut-off date

obviously it's a risky game to play - i dont think the plan was to basically bring him in to delay the 3rd rounder by a year but i imagine getting that 3rd rounder back was something that at least partly went into their thinking when they parted ways with it

it's not the plan but it's in their minds as an expected consolation prize would be my guess

realistically what free agents are we going to be in the market for that would jeopardise us getting a 3rd round pick (or 2) back from the compensatory formula as long as enough guys (even non-qualifying) get picked up before the deadline they count in the losses vs gains formula

in this scenario we're not worried about volume of picks but would be worried about those two 3rd rounders

Simba

Staff Member
Some more interesting roster decisions coming up here soon. We currently have 52 guys on the roster but we have all of the following...

QB: Going to need to add 1 to the 53 eventually, whether that's a Huntley promotion or RG3 from IR. I guess you could delay a Huntley promotion as long as possible but if someone comes calling, you're going to need to make room if the roster is full.

WR: Chris Moore has been designated to return from IR and I think he has to be activated by Friday or he stays on IR. I'd think the latter is more likely at this juncture, with ST firing on all cylinders without him.

TE: Andrews is the only one on the roster with Willson being waived, and Tomlinson has been a competent replacement for Boyle. Would imagine he's the first move to be made to the 53 this week.

CB: Terrell Bonds has also been designated to return from IR, but we'll basically have until the end of the regular season to do that. Would imagine this move gets delayed if/until we absolutely need it.

S: Geno Stone remains on the COVID list. He's been there awhile so no idea what's going on with him, but would need 53 man space upon his return.

So it's really only 1 move to make in my mind, but we know how they love their STers so I wouldn't completely count on that. Moore stays on IR, the Bonds decision is delayed, and Stone probably gets waived upon his return. Tomlinson takes the 53 man spot and then you figure out what to do at QB when you need to. Welch and Harris seem like good IR candidates this week if you need to make some space.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some more interesting roster decisions coming up here soon. We currently have 52 guys on the roster but we have all of the following...

QB: Going to need to add 1 to the 53 eventually, whether that's a Huntley promotion or RG3 from IR. I guess you could delay a Huntley promotion as long as possible but if someone comes calling, you're going to need to make room if the roster is full.

WR: Chris Moore has been designated to return from IR and I think he has to be activated by Friday or he stays on IR. I'd think the latter is more likely at this juncture, with ST firing on all cylinders without him.

TE: Andrews is the only one on the roster with Willson being waived, and Tomlinson has been a competent replacement for Boyle. Would imagine he's the first move to be made to the 53 this week.

CB: Terrell Bonds has also been designated to return from IR, but we'll basically have until the end of the regular season to do that. Would imagine this move gets delayed if/until we absolutely need it.

S: Geno Stone remains on the COVID list. He's been there awhile so no idea what's going on with him, but would need 53 man space upon his return.

So it's really only 1 move to make in my mind, but we know how they love their STers so I wouldn't completely count on that. Moore stays on IR, the Bonds decision is delayed, and Stone probably gets waived upon his return. Tomlinson takes the 53 man spot and then you figure out what to do at QB when you need to. Welch and Harris seem like good IR candidates this week if you need to make some space.
I liked what I saw from Huntley today but also the Jags weren't the best defense as a barometer for him either. I think I would keep him over RG3 though honestly. Hope Stone is OK, that guy has been on that list a while. They may shut him down for the year honestly but kind of a gamble too if we do make the playoffs and need a safety.

Simba

Staff Member
I liked what I saw from Huntley today but also the Jags weren't the best defense as a barometer for him either. I think I would keep him over RG3 though honestly. Hope Stone is OK, that guy has been on that list a while. They may shut him down for the year honestly but kind of a gamble too if we do make the playoffs and need a safety.

The only reason I'd be worried about Huntley at this point is because it's the end of the season and this is where teams start throwing guys on IR and poaching PS players to get a look at them throughout the offseason. Not inconceivable that a team saw Huntley's speed show up today and might take a chance on him working in their program for an offseason. I think it's still more on the unlikely side but I'd also hate to be in a position where we bring RG3 back from IR and then a team tries to poach Huntley and we have to clear another 53 man spot for a QB. I would imagine he'll be protected through the end of the year but there are still those pesky Mondays where teams can try.

Simba

Staff Member
Roster moves likely to be coming tomorrow.

Geno Stone was activated from the COVID list but we received a roster exemption for him that expires tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if he just ends up waived, but if they like him and want to keep him, might need a move elsewhere.

CB could be light again with only 3 healthy (Humphrey, Averett, and Williams) and Peters unlikely to play. Desir is likely to get another callup, and we also have Bonds on IR-DFR and he could be needed this weekend. Need a move on the 53 to get Bonds back on.

QB looks like another callup for Huntley this week, but going to need to get a QB on the 53 soon if we're heading to the playoffs.

Simba

Staff Member

Surprised but also not surprised at the same time. Probably hasn’t shown enough to be claimed, but it’s also the last week of the season so no reason for a team not to take a shot on a guy and give him time in the offseason.

I think a lot of us had high hopes for Stone but clearly the team didn’t think that much of him if they were willing to risk him with our putrid S depth.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Surprised but also not surprised at the same time. Probably hasn’t shown enough to be claimed, but it’s also the last week of the season so no reason for a team not to take a shot on a guy and give him time in the offseason.

I think a lot of us had high hopes for Stone but clearly the team didn’t think that much of him if they were willing to risk him with our putrid S depth.

i think the signs were there when he couldnt get on the field on special teams - that's the pathway onto this team as a lower-drafted DB - the 2 starting safeties prove that progression (as does former dimebacker anthony levine)

but the fact that a team sniped Stone does make me a little worried about leaving our only available backup QB on the PS to be potentially poached...

this is the time where teams will poach guys so they can have them to futures deals and get them into camp in 2021 - geno was a draft pick with some analytics praise so probably worth a look for the texans i guess

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think the signs were there when he couldnt get on the field on special teams - that's the pathway onto this team as a lower-drafted DB - the 2 starting safeties prove that progression (as does former dimebacker anthony levine)

but the fact that a team sniped Stone does make me a little worried about leaving our only available backup QB on the PS to be potentially poached...

this is the time where teams will poach guys so they can have them to futures deals and get them into camp in 2021 - geno was a draft pick with some analytics praise so probably worth a look for the texans i guess
But Huntley is on the PS whereas Stone had to go through waivers. Waivers means a team can claim them and the original team has no chance to counter it. With the PS I believe another team can't just sign a player to their 53. The original team can still sign the player to their 53 man roster to counter the move.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But Huntley is on the PS whereas Stone had to go through waivers. Waivers means a team can claim them and the original team has no chance to counter it. With the PS I believe another team can't just sign a player to their 53. The original team can still sign the player to their 53 man roster to counter the move.

i get that - just feels unnecessarily risky when we know we're going to have to elevate him for the games... and we clearly want to keep him around for the future

just feels like a recipe for disaster to only have 1 QB on the 53

Simba

Staff Member

I'm sure there are some promises made to Huntley at this point, mostly in regards to next year. But I don't think they want to burn a roster spot on a QB so I'm sure he got the promise that he'll be elevated every week now. They did change up the rule where there are unlimited elevations for the playoffs, so I'm guessing he'll be active each week at this point.

Simba

Staff Member

HEYOOO LET'S GOOOOO

jimmy back for another year - we've got 5 quality corners locked in for next year now (just need to find a backup slot to help with some of the durability issues in this contingent)

And another awesome deal. Up to $5M so we know some of that is incentives. The contract he signed this year was $3.5M base and bonus and up to $6M, so seems very similar on the surface.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

HEYOOO LET'S GOOOOO

jimmy back for another year - we've got 5 quality corners locked in for next year now (just need to find a backup slot to help with some of the durability issues in this contingent)

Jimmy is becoming one of my all time favorite ravens. This man keeps getting hurt and rehabbing and keeps coming back and playing like a top 3 defender on this team and just keeps taking cheap deals and staying with his team. He’s awesome

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Jayron Kearse being signed, I like it, he was a guy I was real high on in the draft and I think Wink is licking his chops thinking of what he can do with this hard hitting athletic S/LB hybrid. ill trade geno stone for jayron kearse all day

Last edited: