• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Robby Anderson is going for 12m per, thats value and I’d gladly take him for 2-3 so he can have the added perk of hitting the market one more time before he gets old. He’s a fit here, we as fans are putting too much emphasis on getting the opposite of Hollywood for diversity’s sake, forgetting that we have the big wing span targets in spades at TE.

I love what the speed of Hollywood has done for this offense, and I believe you need even more. Do what the chiefs are doing, speed kills, and in this offense more than any other, Hollywood and Robby Anderson on the boundaries will leave dbs with dooky stains when you have a qb who can extend like Lamar.

Doesn’t have to be Robby Anderson but I’m definitely advocating for more speed in this offence

Charm City

Pro Bowler
If Robby Anderson is going for 12m per, thats value and I’d gladly take him for 2-3 so he can have the added perk of hitting the market one more time before he gets old. He’s a fit here, we as fans are putting too much emphasis on getting the opposite of Hollywood for diversity’s sake, forgetting that we have the big wing span targets in spades at TE.

I love what the speed of Hollywood has done for this offense, and I believe you need even more. Do what the chiefs are doing, speed kills, and in this offense more than any other, Hollywood and Robby Anderson on the boundaries will leave dbs with dooky stains when you have a qb who can extend like Lamar.
And if Lamar is right, Hollywood should only be faster next season since he wasn't 100%

rossihunter2

Staff Member
from Schefter

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28514643

If Judon is franchised and traded it would have to be for atleast a 3rd round pick and most likely more, since he would garner a 3rd in the comp pick formula.

Tag and trade is risky if were not fully committed/comfortable signing him but would definitely be a great move if we could pull it off especially if we could pull it off pre-draft so the picks would come in 2020 not 2021

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Tag and trade is risky if were not fully committed/comfortable signing him but would definitely be a great move if we could pull it off especially if we could pull it off pre-draft so the picks would come in 2020 not 2021
If this were to happen, it will definitely happen prior to the draft because he wouldn't garner as much trade value following the draft.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Surround your shiny new toy with the likes of Dez Bryant lol. The Chiefs are about to win the Super Bowl because of a high octane offense, and poor Lamar will be stuck with Dez, Seth, Snead and another training camp favorite in Boykin. Come on, we should’ve learned from the Flacco era. Sign Robby and draft another WR high. We’ll still have money left for a good front 7 guy.

Honestly I think Dez Bryant fits The Ravens better than Robby Anderson and thats mainly by a character and mentality point of view. Robby Anderson is a playmaker though and does have the speed The Ravens need but I do think The Ravens should give Dez Bryant a tryout.

I think The Ravens should try their best to add better receivers to improve their passing game but at the sametime Greg Roman isnt Andy Reid. The Ravens offense is structured differently from The Chiefs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If this were to happen, it will definitely happen prior to the draft because he wouldn't garner as much trade value following the draft.

its a massive risk to take if we're unsure of the interest in him because it sets his value at the franchise tag level minimum... and we'd be stuck paying him that

we'd also have to be expecting to be compensated for at least a 3rd round pick in 2020 (probably more) to make it worth our while

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
its a massive risk to take if we're unsure of the interest in him because it sets his value at the franchise tag level minimum... and we'd be stuck paying him that

we'd also have to be expecting to be compensated for at least a 3rd round pick in 2020 (probably more) to make it worth our while
there could be talk prior to free agency, as long as the team is willing to have the conversation.

I don't think they would do it if they didn't think they could get atleast a 3rd round pick from him. I understand the risk, but they probably feel his value is around a 2nd a rounder. They would also have to be willing to go into the season with him, at worst, on the franchise tag.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
there could be talk prior to free agency, as long as the team is willing to have the conversation.

I don't think they would do it if they didn't think they could get atleast a 3rd round pick from him. I understand the risk, but they probably feel his value is around a 2nd a rounder. They would also have to be willing to go into the season with him, at worst, on the franchise tag.
You’d have to think Judon is similar in Dee Ford in that both guy could be tagged and traded in this scenario. Both had somewhat weak edge rusher draft classes too and equally weak edge rusher FA markets outside of them and a few others. I suppose in that regard this could be a likely course of action. The only rebuttal is that I don’t believe we’ve ever done this before in our franchise history. I’m also not sure how players would feel about it considering we’re tagging someone just to trade them away and taking away their right to bargain in FA.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You’d have to think Judon is similar in Dee Ford in that both guy could be tagged and traded in this scenario. Both had somewhat weak edge rusher draft classes too and equally weak edge rusher FA markets outside of them and a few others. I suppose in that regard this could be a likely course of action. The only rebuttal is that I don’t believe we’ve ever done this before in our franchise history. I’m also not sure how players would feel about it considering we’re tagging someone just to trade them away and taking away their right to bargain in FA.
the last part you bring up is definitely something I've thought about.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

in general i dont think the organisation is a fan of using the franchise tag because it restricts our flexibility in terms of bargaining power with regards to contract value and yearly average etc

Charm City

Pro Bowler
from Schefter

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28514643

If Judon is franchised and traded it would have to be for atleast a 3rd round pick and most likely more, since he would garner a 3rd in the comp pick formula.
With the cap space that we have, it would be unlikely that we sign fewer players than we lose in free agency given our only notable free agents are Judon, Pierce, and Jimmy. I wouldn't assume that we'd get a comp for Judon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With the cap space that we have, it would be unlikely that we sign fewer players than we lose in free agency given our only notable free agents are Judon, Pierce, and Jimmy. I wouldn't assume that we'd get a comp for Judon

depends who we bring in and how much their equivalent comp value is because peanut or seth roberts could potentially sign qualifying deals that would allow us to preserve the better picks for the better players

Charm City

Pro Bowler
depends who we bring in and how much their equivalent comp value is because peanut or seth roberts could potentially sign qualifying deals that would allow us to preserve the better picks for the better players
Yeah that's true but we don't really know. In the past we had cap space to sign 2 or 3 players, but with 30+ mil we could easily sign 5 or 6 depending on the quality we go after

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I do think we sign fewer players than we lose. You also have to consider Peanut will also get signed by another team as well and Moore could get signed also for a late round comp.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do think we sign fewer players than we lose. You also have to consider Peanut will also get signed by another team as well and Moore could get signed also for a late round comp.
I think either is on the table. I'd have to go do some digging, but my gut would tell me that guys like Peanut or Moore are only going to get low-market value deals (couple million a year), which means they'd be lucky to count as comp pick assets and most certainly would only net qualify as late rounders.

If I look at Overthecap.com, which at least does a reasonable job of estimating net-comp picks by team, in order to even get in the ballpark of a 5th round comp pick, it looks like you'll need the FA to sign for at least probably $7-8M a year. The lowest $ for a qualifying 4th rounder I see is $8.5M/year, and the 6th rounders are in the $3-5M a year range.

That's probably the max Peanut would get, and Moore is likely just a veteran minimum type guy.

Best guess would be Jimmy, Pierce and Judon would qualify for 4th rounders, but that's without knowing where the rest of the market landed. Maybe Peanut gets high enough to qualify for a 5, but I doubt it. Everything else is 6th round or later, which while advantageous to have, I don't really consider that important.

I think you'll sign at least two players that will offset the 4th/5th rounders is my guess. I think best case is you'll be in the same spot you are this year, with likely getting two 4th rounders.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think either is on the table. I'd have to go do some digging, but my gut would tell me that guys like Peanut or Moore are only going to get low-market value deals (couple million a year), which means they'd be lucky to count as comp pick assets and most certainly would only net qualify as late rounders.

If I look at Overthecap.com, which at least does a reasonable job of estimating net-comp picks by team, in order to even get in the ballpark of a 5th round comp pick, it looks like you'll need the FA to sign for at least probably $7-8M a year. The lowest $ for a qualifying 4th rounder I see is $8.5M/year, and the 6th rounders are in the $3-5M a year range.

That's probably the max Peanut would get, and Moore is likely just a veteran minimum type guy.

Best guess would be Jimmy, Pierce and Judon would qualify for 4th rounders, but that's without knowing where the rest of the market landed. Maybe Peanut gets high enough to qualify for a 5, but I doubt it. Everything else is 6th round or later, which while advantageous to have, I don't really consider that important.

I think you'll sign at least two players that will offset the 4th/5th rounders is my guess. I think best case is you'll be in the same spot you are this year, with likely getting two 4th rounders.
I agree. I don’t think we get much in comp picks for anyone besides Judon. Pierce, Moore, et al aren’t going to garner that much value in FA.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

a couple million would absolutely count as a comp pick. There are 1.2m contracts that are 7th round comp picks. I agree that's not much, but the question started with someone stating we would be signing more players than we lost and I mentioned Peanut and Moore as other candidates that would most likely be signed by other teams as well and I do think they count in the comp pick formula.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
a couple million would absolutely count as a comp pick. There are 1.2m contracts that are 7th round comp picks. I agree that's not much, but the question started with someone stating we would be signing more players than we lost and I mentioned Peanut and Moore as other candidates that would most likely be signed by other teams as well and I do think they count in the comp pick formula.
Sure, they can. It'll also be dependent on playing time for them next year, as well as how long they make it on a roster.

To me, they're just not all that relevant. They'll never cancel out a significantly larger contract we sign, and I'm generally of the camp that 7th round picks are largely just throwaways. If you look at our history, we don't get practically anything from the 7th round.

Plus, its still net free agents lost.

I certainly think we'll lose more players than we sign (at least in terms of comp pick potential), but that's also because we have 17 UFAs currently. Realistically half of them wouldn't even qualify to begin with, but even if we have 7-8 players that qualify for at least a 7th, I highly doubt we'll be signing 7-8 true FAs to offset them.

But at the end of the day, if you're netting a 7th round pick because you didn't resign Chris Moore, its largely irrelevant to me. I don't see many paths where that yields short term or long term value to the team.