• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sure, they can. It'll also be dependent on playing time for them next year, as well as how long they make it on a roster.

To me, they're just not all that relevant. They'll never cancel out a significantly larger contract we sign, and I'm generally of the camp that 7th round picks are largely just throwaways. If you look at our history, we don't get practically anything from the 7th round.

Plus, its still net free agents lost.

I certainly think we'll lose more players than we sign (at least in terms of comp pick potential), but that's also because we have 17 UFAs currently. Realistically half of them wouldn't even qualify to begin with, but even if we have 7-8 players that qualify for at least a 7th, I highly doubt we'll be signing 7-8 true FAs to offset them.

But at the end of the day, if you're netting a 7th round pick because you didn't resign Chris Moore, its largely irrelevant to me. I don't see many paths where that yields short term or long term value to the team.
I don't care about the 7th round comp picks either. Just saying that their contract would most likely be high enough to qualify for atleast a 7th round comp and of course it does matter how much playing time they get.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not saying we will, just saying it's possible especially if we cut TJ and Carr to open up another 10 mil in space
It would be $13.5M in savings if you cut both.

That being said... I think you better have a deal lined up with Jimmy before you cut Carr. There's no way I'm letting both walk. I'm not saying they won't, because I think they actually could, but I wouldn't do it.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I think Dez Bryant fits The Ravens better than Robby Anderson and thats mainly by a character and mentality point of view. Robby Anderson is a playmaker though and does have the speed The Ravens need but I do think The Ravens should give Dez Bryant a tryout.

I think The Ravens should try their best to add better receivers to improve their passing game but at the sametime Greg Roman isnt Andy Reid. The Ravens offense is structured differently from The Chiefs.

I wouldn’t mind bringing him in for a tryout. If he put his ego aside, he can kick it inside and be a big body slot. I’m not sure he’s an outside WR anymore.

One thing I give props to dez for is he was a Day 1 lamar fan.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
It would be $13.5M in savings if you cut both.

That being said... I think you better have a deal lined up with Jimmy before you cut Carr. There's no way I'm letting both walk. I'm not saying they won't, because I think they actually could, but I wouldn't do it.
All of our CB deals hinge on the health of Tavon. He and Peters have large contracts, and Marlon will be due soon. Paying Jimmy and/or Carr on top of that would divert too many funds away from other positions imo if we have three above-average CBs good to go

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we were to tag and trade Judon, it is quite possible he wouldn't sign the franchise tag unless he liked the destination. Also if he doesn't sign the franchise tag we can rescind it and let him hit free agency.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All of our CB deals hinge on the health of Tavon. He and Peters have large contracts, and Marlon will be due soon. Paying Jimmy and/or Carr on top of that would divert too many funds away from other positions imo if we have three above-average CBs good to go

carr is locked into a 6m cap hit if we keep him which is incredibly reasonable and not really that much of a drain on the cap vs other options at the position (+ it is only for 1 more year) - and i think what's been proven over the last 3-4 years here is that you need at least 4 corners and preferably more to be able to run this defensive system

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If we were to tag and trade Judon, it is quite possible he wouldn't sign the franchise tag unless he liked the destination. Also if he doesn't sign the franchise tag we can rescind it and let him hit free agency.
I think judon would sign. That tag is a lot of money compared to a 5th rnd pick salary. I think we would inform him ahead time that he could possibly be traded if the offer is right?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Oh i see what youre saying now.. i got it mixed up at first.. i was thinking about him getting trade during mid season or something lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Tavon doesn't have a large contract. He's going to be at basically an $8M cap hit for the next three years. That's not large by any stretch of the imagination.
2. The Ravens spent $62.3M of their salary cap on the Secondary in 2019 (basically 1/3 of their spend). As it stands today, they have $64M of their salary cap on the Secondary in 2020. So right now, they're spending about as much in 2020 as they did in 2019.

That 2020 number doesn't include Jimmy, but it does include $11.6M in spend for Tony Jefferson, and $7M in spend for Brandon Carr.

So, in my opinion, you have a couple options:
1. Cut Jefferson, keep Carr, don't resign Jimmy. Would save you about $7.5M, and Carr comes back as your likely #4 Corner. Now you're spending about $56.5M on the secondary, which is roughly $6M less than last year... and that's before the cap goes up 10%, which it will.
2. Cut Jefferson and Carr, saving you $13.5M against the cap. That money can be used to resign Jimmy (who I can guarantee you could get for less than that price), or use that money to sign a veteran Corner for less than that price range. Either way, you'll come out favorable.

The reason I don't think getting rid of both Carr and Jimmy (at least not without signing a decent veteran replacement or using a very high draft pick on another Corner) is because you now have practically zero depth.

If they're both gone, you're down to Averett or Marshall as your #4 corner. 4th corners will likely see a good amount of playing time, given its unlikely all of your top three Corners make it through the season without getting injured, and because of how frequently we will end up playing Nickel and Dime coverages.

Also keep in mind that you have virtually no depth at Safety either, with Clark and Thomas as your starters, but with Carr gone, you really have no depth there either. A Thomas or Clark injury will weaken your defense dramatically.

I'd buy into the idea of taking resources away from the Secondary... if you can prove to me that the pass rush is significantly better in 2020. And there's no scenario possible where we can even feel good about that until at least after the draft, which is far too late to make some of these decisions.

Keeping a rock solid secondary, including having depth, is about the only possible way I see this team not having a huge risk of falling off a cliff on defense in 2020.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
With the Ravens inquiring about Jamal Adams before the trade deadline, it tells me that we might be prioritizing the secondary more than the front 7 in free agency, especially if we let Judon walk or trade him. I'm fine with that if it means getting someone of Jamal's caliber.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
With the Ravens inquiring about Jamal Adams before the trade deadline, it tells me that we might be prioritizing the secondary more than the front 7 in free agency, especially if we let Judon walk or trade him. I'm fine with that if it means getting someone of Jamal's caliber.
Jamal Adams would be a dream here, and this may be unpopular but trading for Adams likely means we cut not only TJs contract but also earls contract as soon as it’s feasible, it would be a net gain in cap space and talent, and chuck Clark has flexibility and can play both safety spots and it would be a pretty great tandem, the biggest attraction there is that I believe adding Adams would do more to shore up our run D and prevent the big edge runs more than any edge or ILB could do, He’s that special of a box safety.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Jamal Adams would be a dream here, and this may be unpopular but trading for Adams likely means we cut not only TJs contract but also earls contract as soon as it’s feasible, it would be a net gain in cap space and talent, and chuck Clark has flexibility and can play both safety spots and it would be a pretty great tandem, the biggest attraction there is that I believe adding Adams would do more to shore up our run D and prevent the big edge runs more than any edge or ILB could do, He’s that special of a box safety.

Tag & Trade Judon to the Jets in exchange for Adams and a swap of draft picks or something?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Tag & Trade Judon to the Jets in exchange for Adams and a swap of draft picks or something?
I think we’re vastly overrating teams interest in Judon lol. That would likely still call for either a 1 or 2.

plus doesn’t Judon have to sign the tag? That’s definitely not a given. Judon has made himself very clear that he wants to get everything he can from FA, if he feels he’s being screwed over by the ravens I can definitely see him sitting out.

plus I don’t think the ravens want to do that, robbing a player of their free will in FA is just really out of character for this organization and it’s not really a good look. I think the most we could get for Judon in a trade honestly is a 3, and at that point it’s not even worth the drama or the risk.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we’re vastly overrating teams interest in Judon lol. That would likely still call for either a 1 or 2.

plus doesn’t Judon have to sign the tag? That’s definitely not a given. Judon has made himself very clear that he wants to get everything he can from FA, if he feels he’s being screwed over by the ravens I can definitely see him sitting out.

plus I don’t think the ravens want to do that, robbing a player of their free will in FA is just really out of character for this organization and it’s not really a good look. I think the most we could get for Judon in a trade honestly is a 3, and at that point it’s not even worth the drama or the risk.
It depends on what teams value Judon. Dee Ford and Frank Clark nearly netted their teams 1st round picks due to high 2nd rounders being traded. I do agree that I wonder if we’re over-estimating interest and value. You also have to wonder if you’re looking at Judon through a biased lens as well. Don’t forget you and others (myself included) said Smith wouldn’t be that valuable.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. It would certainly mean cutting Jefferson.
2. Earl is at least locked into the roster for 2020, and likely 2021 as well. He's got a $16M cap hit in 2021, but that comes with $10M in dead money if you move on. Realistically, he's a Raven for at least two more years in my eyes.

Theoretically its feasible, given you get Adams at one more year at dirt cheap, and you have the 5th year option available in 2021. However, the biggest fallacy fans make is thinking that Option is cheap... its not. It may be below market value in certain cases, but it'll be at least north of $10M a year at that point.

The idea of a Judon for Adams swap is interesting, but I think deals like that are pretty hard to pull off. Moreover, I'd wonder if the Ravens interest in Adams is still as strong as it was back in October when the trade deadline was around. Jefferson's injury occurred about 3 weeks before the deadline, so my suspicion is that the Ravens thought they'd needed to do something there, as Clark was still an unknown.

In my opinion, unless you can basically get a Judon for Adams swap without giving up much else (and I think we'd be the one who would have to throw in at least a decent draft pick to go along with that), I don't think our draft capital should be used on upgrading on Chuck Clark. I don't think he's an Adams-level player, but I think he's good enough, and I think this defense could use some good players on cheap deals.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It depends on what teams value Judon. Dee Ford and Frank Clark nearly netted their teams 1st round picks due to high 2nd rounders being traded. I do agree that I wonder if we’re over-estimating interest and value. You also have to wonder if you’re looking at Judon through a biased lens as well. Don’t forget you and others (myself included) said Smith wouldn’t be that valuable.
True on Smith, but then again, his guaranteed money was very small ($20M, none after the first year). The question is whether a team paying Judon will be willing to go quite a bit higher in guaranteed money than ZaDarius got. My suspicion is yes.

Dee Ford got $33M guaranteed, and Clark got a whopping $62M guaranteed. I think Judon will have no issue at all getting $35-40M guaranteed from somebody. Frankly, I think the Dee Ford contract, with a bit more guaranteed money and possibly a slightly higher AAV, is probably where Judon is going to slot in.

And in a trade, yes, I think they'd we'd ask for at least a 2nd round pick in return. If we took that deal to the Jets for Jamal Adams, my guess is they'd want at least a 3rd back from us.

I do tend to agree with the premise that we often overvalue our own players on the market, but in this case, Judon is easily a top 3-5 open market guy when it comes to outside edge rushers, given that some of the bigger names, like Clowney, Barrett, etc. aren't likely to get that far.